Is Carey Price overrated in the playoffs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoachBrisebois

May 7, 2013
If Montreal loses this series (which is a colossal if) it'll be solely because they don't have any d-men that can clear the front of the net. Gilbert has size but has always been soft as butter.

So it has nothing to do with the fact that Montreal has no offense to speak of..

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
I'm not sure what Price's deal is since the end of March. I suppose we can't expect him to keep up the .950% that he was carrying for over a calendar year but he looks tired to me. He doesn't have that fire in his play like he did basically all year. He went from the best goalie in the world to merely just really good.

I'm hoping a little humbling like he got last game is what it takes to get that fire back. We've definitely seen better from him than what he's showing so far in the playoffs.

No we have not, Ottawa Senators, Craig Anderson is the best goalie in the world.

Not only is he pretty as a 19 years old college girl but he smells like fresh roses every time he comes out from the toilets.

Mr. Craig "Conn smythe" Anderson

flamesforcup*

We don't need to discuss any more about this series as it's not going to be going past game 6.

The Sens got further than they imagined they would, partly due to a slew of sloppy plays by some players on the Habs.

That's all there is to it.

This is the most boring series I've ever watched. I just want the Habs to move on to a more exciting team.

maybe its cause its the habs that make it a boring play style? Sens are an exciting team to watch.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
carey price is the best goalie in the world. If the habs lose, it's going to be literally everone's fault but his.

This this this so much. lolol

I'd blame that trainer who didnt properly cool Weise's Gatorade before Price

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
Career:

Price .911
Anderson .933

Also, Price freaked out in the dressing room after being interviewed, cursing so loud that it startled PK (who was being interviewed) across the room (according to CBC). I thought he was Mr. calm, cool and could never be rattled. Meanwhile, Anderson (and the Sens) are all smiles, enjoying the pressure.

Now, watch Price have a 40 save shutout tonight to close out the series.

When did this happen? Is it online somewhere??

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
No we have not, Ottawa Senators, Craig Anderson is the best goalie in the world.

Not only is he pretty as a 19 years old college girl but he smells like fresh roses every time he comes out from the toilets.

Mr. Craig "Conn smythe" Anderson

I commend you for speaking so highly of your enemy. Takes a lot of grapes.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Price has a career .919 sv% in regular season. Does that mean he'll average that in the regular season next year?

Wouldn't be the first time a Vezina winnef comes crashing back down to earth after winning it. I don't expect it personally, mainly because Montreal gives up next to nothing in the defensive zone other than perimeter and low quality shots. Montreal is a superb defensive team, and while price plays a part in that, he's not the best goaltender in the world like many Habs fans want to believe.

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
I agree that a few bad postseasons doesn't mean he is a bad playoff goalie but that is certainly his weakness as of right now.

He just has a very unimpressive record. He has either been part of a meltdown or done fairly well when the team in front of him is doing well. There are really no instances of him stealing a series or being the reason the Habs have succeeded.

Look at all the other "top" goalies (I'm going to exclude Rinne because I think he is just overrated) - Lundqvist, Quick and Rask (IMO at least).

All three have taken their teams to the SCF and been a huge, if not the biggest, part of their team getting there. Lundqvist last season, Quick in 2012 and Rask in 2013 (especially the Pens series). Rask and Lundqvist also have fantastic regular season stats.

Until Price is part of a deep PO run, he will always have a knock against him. And maybe he will change that his season, who knows.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
This is the Montreal Canadiens and Carey Prices game 7. Let's see how they play tonight. They have to win tonight, otherwise they're done, and I think they know it.

I do expect Montreal to win tonight, but hoping they won't.

Sacha Baron Corbin

Jan 19, 2011
We don't need to discuss any more about this series as it's not going to be going past game 6.

The Sens got further than they imagined they would, partly due to a slew of sloppy plays by some players on the Habs.

That's all there is to it.

This is the most boring series I've ever watched. I just want the Habs to move on to a more exciting team.

Pretty arrogant for a team on the brink of a reverse sweep

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
Career:

Price .911
Anderson .933

Also, Price freaked out in the dressing room after being interviewed, cursing so loud that it startled PK (who was being interviewed) across the room (according to CBC). I thought he was Mr. calm, cool and could never be rattled. Meanwhile, Anderson (and the Sens) are all smiles, enjoying the pressure.

Now, watch Price have a 40 save shutout tonight to close out the series.

Seriously though, do you have a source of any kind?

CBC article you mentioned online?

HFBS

Noted Troublemaker
Jan 18, 2015
I think the biggest overrating of Price in the playoffs was last year after he was hurt. It made no difference what happened in his absence, Price was better. Tokarski was excellent, but every goal he let in Price would have stopped, in addition to stopping every shot Tokarski stopped.

jacks*

Mar 29, 2013
Carey Price is overrated everywhere. Guy was average at best with a crappy Habs team in front of him. Now we put Team Canada and a good Habs team in front of him and he's the best goalie ever.

When he carries a crap team, I will be impressed. Until then, I could suit up in front of some of these teams and hold my own.

He hold a 1.96 GAA,.933 SA %, have 9 shutouts and break a Habs record for most wins in the season all while being the front runner for the Vez and one of the front runners for the Hart.Ya he sucks.:cry::cry:
Someone feeling a bit salty.

jacks*

Mar 29, 2013
Carey Price is overrated everywhere. Guy was average at best with a crappy Habs team in front of him. Now we put Team Canada and a good Habs team in front of him and he's the best goalie ever.

When he carries a crap team, I will be impressed. Until then, I could suit up in front of some of these teams and hold my own.

Seems your describing Lundy to a tee.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
FWIW, not sure if it's been posted but Price started his NHL career as a starter at a younger age than many elite goalies of today.

His playoff numbers are skewed from when he was in his early 20s. By Comparison, Lundqvist was 24 in his first playoff appearance. By the time Price was 24 he already had 26 playoff games under his belt and the overall save % was subpar.

This is also true for other goalies. Crawford had 0 playoff games when he turned 24. 0 for Rinne. Closest one I can think of is Rask who had 13 by time he was 24.

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
He hold a 1.96 GAA,.933 SA %, have 9 shutouts and break a Habs record for most wins in the season all while being the front runner for the Vez and one of the front runners for the Hart.Ya he sucks.:cry::cry:
Someone feeling a bit salty.

Did you miss the part where we were talking about the playoffs or...?

FWIW, not sure if it's been posted but Price started his NHL career as a starter at a younger age than many elite goalies of today.

His playoff numbers are skewed from when he was in his early 20s. By Comparison, Lundqvist was 24 in his first playoff appearance. By the time Price was 24 he already had 26 playoff games under his belt and the overall save % was subpar.

This is also true for other goalies. Crawford had 0 playoff games when he turned 24. 0 for Rinne. Closest one I can think of is Rask who had 13 by time he was 24.

I think this is valid, but when is the cutoff? He has posted a .894 and .919 since he turned 25. That's a .907, actually slightly worse than his average if you include his previous years.

It will likely go up after this post-season, but not by a ton.

MacEugene

Jun 1, 2014
Brussels
2habs.jpg

Saying the other team is better is an excuse?

jacks*

Mar 29, 2013
Did you miss the part where we were talking about the playoffs or...?

Did you just decide to respond while not even bother to read what he posted?
NOTE He said [overrated everywhere]

NHLsnipers View Post
Carey Price is overrated everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad