Is Carcone another “Garland-esque” story?

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Could be another Klinkhammer or Rieder situation but when you consider what he did in Tuscon last year there is reason to believe he turned a corner and things clicked. I hope for his sake and us fans that he's figured things out and is the real deal. It's easy to root for him, I hope me keeps it up!

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Just a random hidden gem that makes the most of his opportunity? He is so fun to watch and I’m surprised it’s taken him this long to get a shot.

Kesselring while we’re at it lol
I thought both played well last night, especially Carcone. What a pleasant surprise.

If you think I discuss anything with my wife about what's on this board you are crazy. She's too busy getting educated watching National Geographic and the like. Not sure what kitchen you think you are in, it's not mine.

After preseason I made a commented that Carcone had the potential to surprise us a bit. A bit.

This is waaaay beyond what I'd hoped for. Not sure it will last though.

Really surprising start to the season. Very glad to be proven wrong on this one.
BA was asked at the start of the season who might surprise and he said Carcone. I guess he has a better eye for talent than us on HF boards.:laugh:

Reactions: Kaizen

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I argued last winter that Carcone deserved a legit opportunity. I knew there was a possibility that he would do this. I didn't know for sure that he would.

It's a huge boost to the team. We now have a masterful offensive engine at the LW position on three of our four lines.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
It seems like we always get good surprises at wing and in net through the years. I am waiting for it to happen on D or at C, those are way tougher positions. Great for us to have Carcone and Maccelli last year, Garland a few years before that.

We have a number of good wingers in Keller/Schmaltz/Crouse/Carcone/Maccelli, that can score. Durzi has been good and Moser is coming around. We really need Hayton back and Dumba to step up. If we could land Hanifin that would solve a bunch of D problems.

Reactions: Summer Rose

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
IMO he's more similar to a Bunting but not as good. No one ever really questioned Garland's talent if it was could he turn his game into a professional league level package or not.

He's also shooting over 30% and that's not gonna continue.

Yotes4Cup

Dec 1, 2017
I watched this guy play for Team Canada this summer at the World Championships. He was one of Canada's best players. That is why I am not surprised by his season so far.

Reactions: Prarievarg

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
IMO he's more similar to a Bunting but not as good. No one ever really questioned Garland's talent if it was could he turn his game into a professional league level package or not.

He's also shooting over 30% and that's not gonna continue.
That set me off on a data mining operation that turned up an interesting nugget, sorta related to the "wow how cool we have efficient scorers" from the other day...

Ranking by S% for all 642 active skaters with 100 games or more:
12 - Travis Boyd - 295 GP - 16.5%

...so bottom line, that goal he got last night? He was *due*!

Reactions: Summer Rose

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
I think he's good but he isn't this good. He'll most likely cool down pretty quickly by the mid season. I don't see him as a Garland type- I see him as more of a Fischer/Grabner/Hino type. He does have lots of try and feistiness as a small player though and I would still be pretty happy to keep him for a few more years at least.

PHX FireBirds18

Jul 20, 2006
Feel like he’s been on the receiving end of the puck luck. He does have that right spot at the right time aspect to him. Sneaky offense kind of like Vrbata. Seems well liked by his team. Hopefully we get a late bloomer here.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Just a random hidden gem that makes the most of his opportunity? He is so fun to watch and I’m surprised it’s taken him this long to get a shot.

Kesselring while we’re at it lol
First couple times I saw him play I didn't think he was an NHL player. Kind of like when I first saw Garland. Definitely similar. Although Garland's ability to make the other team freak out was off the charts. Remember when the Duck's goalie mugged him from behind? Or when MacKinnon ripped his helmet off and threw it at him? Or when he got clotheslined from the bench? That shit was hilarious.

gorsk11

Logan Cooley for the win.
Jun 25, 2008
AZ
It seems like we always get good surprises at wing and in net through the years. I am waiting for it to happen on D or at C, those are way tougher positions. Great for us to have Carcone and Maccelli last year, Garland a few years before that.

We have a number of good wingers in Keller/Schmaltz/Crouse/Carcone/Maccelli, that can score. Durzi has been good and Moser is coming around. We really need Hayton back and Dumba to step up. If we could land Hanifin that would solve a bunch of D problems.
I think Moser and Valimaki have been good surprises. Ingram has been also good. All pleasant surprises to me.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
Wow I totally forgot Christian Fischer exists.
It's f***ing wild that he's only 26. I still have fond memories of when we had Domi, Dvorak, Fischer and Perlini in our top 6 back in like 2018. Future looked pretty decent considering how young those guys were. I still think Fischer is a decent player too honestly. Nothing special, but you need those kinds of guys who can play up the line up to a degree and are good bottom 6ers. His salary isn't too bad either this year tbh.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
lets not pretend that he is going to keep his SH% at 31%

True, but I like that he's putting the puck on net at a high rate realtive to his teammates.

1701358957907.png

Reactions: FinnishCoyote

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
I was looking at the shooting stats for the league and noticed Garland has an extremely low 4.1 shooting %. The dude puts the puck on net at a high rate, but not much going in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad