Is Buffalo's Roster Better Than Montreal ?

JuJu Mobb

Dec 9, 2009
the bolded just aren't true. I would never trade, Kotka, byron and Armia for the 3 you're comparing them to especially since the MTL trio bring a defensive aspect to their game that the BUF isn't even close to. And their offensive is either almost as good/as good/or better. Girgensons brings close to nothing to the table, will Weal impressed during his stint in MTL. Mete and Montour are a wash while Kulak is severely underrated.

Montour is a better player than Mete.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I think, on paper, Buffalo has more talent than a number of teams they finished behind in the standings last season. Combination of awful coaching + once the ball started rolling in the wrong direction, the team had a hard time stopping it (the team started doing better in shooting and scoring chance metrics around January but had terrible goaltending from January onward, which tanked any chance of them turning things around). Montreal lives and dies by Price.

AK87

Hall of Famer
Nov 8, 2012
Do as you wanna
On paper, maybe.

Montreal is well coached and they have a franchise goaltender. Buffalo has proven to be a constant disappointment.

I'd say Montreal.

This is pretty much how I feel as well, year after year Buffalo disappoints even though their roster isn't too bad. They have some darn good players, but hey maybe it is finally time when they start to take a turn for the better and surprise.

lifeisruff

Oct 29, 2009
wny
Montreal has better forward depth (although I won't say it's elite compared to other teams) and, when he's on, Price can carry a NHL franchise as well as any one in hockey.

However, I think Buffalo is better, better high end skaters, better defense.

On the other hand, if seems like Buffalo has been underachieving for a couple of seasons now, so maybe I'm just a homer, and Buffalo just isn't as good as I think they are.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I'd take Montreal's roster over Buffalo's.

Buffalo probably has the 2 best players between the two teams (Eichel and Dahlin). But the depth at the forward position Montreal has and the talent in their secondary scoring is a lot better than Buffalo. Goaltending goes to Montreal quite easily. Defense overall I'd give the slight edge to Montreal, but they are really really close. The difference being how much more Montour, Pilut, and McCabe can improve. Then there's the coaching, which falls in Montreal's favor.

I also like the traits that the Montreal players have over Buffalo's as well as the construction of the team. Buffalo is extremely soft. If you lean on them, they fold. I feel Montreal would do a better job at fighting back.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
This thread is hilarious, once you get beyond the top line up front, and Dahlin on defense Montreal is bett everywhere else.

Montreal had 5 50+ point forwards, Buffalo did have 3 60+ point forwards but their 4th best forward had 34 points, , so they addressed that by getting 35 point man Marcus Johansson and 35 point man Jimmy Vesey , that would be 2/3 of a really good 3rd line if Buffalo had a 2nd line but the problem is they don't .

Buffalo might have a decent blue line, I like Miller and Montour, wanted them both in Toronto and was pissed when Buffalo got them both so they might have a better Blue line especially if Weber misses time again but it's not strong enough to make up a 20 point gap between Montreal and Buffalo and even if you could argue it were, strong enough to make up a 20 point gap one team has Price the other has Hutton and ullmark that simply doesn't match up.

Reactions: Peter Puck

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
It depends on if jokiharju plays and the wildcArds olofsson and pilut, due to the sabres concerns with depth up front.

Habs have intriguing prospects for sure too.

I’d say buffalo has a better roster but Montreal plays a better team game.

But regarding oloffson and pilut I could see Them Being a surprise to almost everyone but sabres fans and if they do that whilst Casey Mittlestadt and Ullmark with a years experience improve under new coaching to boot, it’s possible. Any new coach would be better then housley, we said that about bylsma but at least he tried to coach. Housley did nothing at all so even if Ralph is mediocre he’s better and he’s walking into a better situation with Eichel And Dahlin a year older (closer to prime level) whilst Montreal’s two guys (price Weber) Are a year older in the wrong way and Injury prone.

Also Johansson was a big grab, Colin Miller and jimmy vesey are decent but not exactly big grabs. Bruins and caps fans loved MJ though and his work ethic shuld help, Reinhart and hutton are in contract years, Montour will be getting a full training camp with the team and we may even see ukko pekka Luukonen in net.

There is an argument but the habs are well coached and have great chemistry, fast team that works well together.

I honestly wouldn’t be surprised If these two teams give Florida and dare I even say Toronto a run at third or fourth. Laugh all you want but there are surprises every year and I want to see Florida improve before they actually improve, if that makes sense.

I think you misspelled Boston lol

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
I’m not sure why you quoted me and got so defensive. I’m saying Buffalo has a heavy advantage elsewhere but there’s obviously a huge difference in nets. Without Price this wouldn’t even be a question and even with that advantage I still say Buffalo.

Well I didnt because I’m was talking about other people mostly, I even wrote in my post that it wasn’t about you to save you the confusion and posting something like this.

Me quoting you had more to do with my adding to what you were saying or continuing the conversation on the same points.

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
Disclaimer:

The following reply below is long, (shocking) lol, save the jokes, they’re not original or funny, try and get your post liked some other way to Those who just can’t seem to come up with anything original maybe you feel like you “fit in” by joining those people who repeatedly joke about it. I don’t know, I focus on me so you should focus on You. Or simply just skip It, simple? People that say that repeatedly, it says more about them Then me. But I back up My opinion with facts and have always been thorough And will Always be that way. Sure, sometimes I’ll Edit it and cut it out since it would be way too redundant with this posts that way
TheTime.

But if I have something to say, like to this guy right here, oh you get it going to
Say it

Fades to black, static,

***deep male voiceover:
“The preceding announcement has been paid for .. by the new order...”
“4 life (echo: life life life)

This thread is hilarious, once you get beyond the top line up front, and Dahlin on defense Montreal is bett everywhere else.

Montreal had 5 50+ point forwards, Buffalo did have 3 60+ point forwards but their 4th best forward had 34 points, , so they addressed that by getting 35 point man Marcus Johansson and 35 point man Jimmy Vesey , that would be 2/3 of a really good 3rd line if Buffalo had a 2nd line but the problem is they don't .

Buffalo might have a decent blue line, I like Miller and Montour, wanted them both in Toronto and was pissed when Buffalo got them both so they might have a better Blue line especially if Weber misses time again but it's not strong enough to make up a 20 point gap between Montreal and Buffalo and even if you could argue it were, strong enough to make up a 20 point gap one team has Price the other has Hutton and ullmark that simply doesn't match up.

Oh but it does. If you feel like reading why you can. You should just stop though with those posts, because your going to be proven wrong without a doubt on certain things, and maybe more on the others because a lot of what I say here is with a optimistic outlook, sure no denying that but a lot of this IS going to Happen. Stuff your conveniently omitting which is no surprise as almost every one of your posts about buffalo follow an Agenda and have the same ignorance. Using last season as a precursor is irrelevant when so many things have changed and so many surprises happen each season, many believe the habs overachieved, and buffalo the opposite. Even though the sabres Improved 16 points. After December it was woeful but there is a lot to like going forward. Don’t believe me, well you’re in luck because it’s Right here. Enjoy. Or don’t because you won’t want to believe the next part.

When talking about 35 ot players, first off Johansson does so many other things on the ice that even if he hits 40, it’s anout as good as 55 pt player do the other intangibles
He brings. You talk like victor Olofsson doesent exist either by bringing up Vesey and the like as our only Depth hope. Might as well bring up Curtis lazar, you’re
Completely ignoring Mittlestadt and his ability, the guy got better as the year went on and was tremendous a lot of nights he didn’t even get a point. The potential is there, Johansson and mittlestadt Could definitely improve each others game, E-rod is also good, Sheary May be better but Vezey could easily be in the fourth line. Since you don’t know who he is, Olofsson lead the shl in goals, with one of The sickest shots he notched over goals 30 in his first try in the ahl. The same roster, Alex Nylander Couldn’t even hit double digits on multiple years tried. But we turned that into Jokiharju a top four dman one day and already easily a NHL defensemen. Olofsson with a top 6 role could hit over Twenty goals especially if that shot is set up by elite playmakers in Eichel and dahlin with ample
PP time, and it’s also Mighty easy to say “outside the first line.” Yeah let’s just forget about one of best players in the league, a forty goal scorer who just signed a monster deal he has to Live up too, and Reinhart who is in a contract Year and had improved From 50 to Low 60s and his finding his game as a two way player with elite iq. Not going to get into guys like cozens, Johnson, asplund, samuelsson, polar too young, I think cozens is still a year or two away.

You’re other then “dahlin” is always funny too, when you and others use that. As if Brandon montour wouldn’t be in any other teams Top four (outside a few) he was dynamite and with a camp and team familiarity this time he should be even better as he’s a year older, with a camp and team familiarity, but back to Dahlin, you can say other then him which is funny because “other then” seems to ignore how good and important something is like Your other then the top Line comment. RD was only the 2nd best 18 yr old dman of all time statistically ahead of Bobby Orr for 2nd place, now his year of experience should not imorove his game but now that he’s used to The ice surface, the culture/country and his teammates, as well as all the pressure of being a highly Touted 1 overall off of of him, he very could Push for 55-60 Pts this year. Especially when you consider the other points about better forwards, and likely an improved system, other d men like Colin Miller, Henri Jokiharju, Jake McCabe, Marco Scandella are pretty good defensemen. All of them. Not great but good and risto has amazing tools but has had no support his whole Tenure on anbaf team And still is just 25, still young for a dman. Even If he’s moved we get a better top six winger perhaps if hes not We still have a great dman.. I’m not even mentioning Lawrence Pilut Who is like the Olofsson on d because he’s probably out until December and we will have to move someone to make room, he’s going to be excellent and she should Of started here last season. There others from Bogosian, Nelson, Gilmour and Maybe Borgen gets a shot. Either way it’s improved, especially when you consider montour and dahlin who are now both Familiar with the team and league Respectively. That incorporated with a new and “has to be better” coaching system feel like new additions in itself.

So in saying all that, even with all Those points I’ve listed, and Even without them quite frankly, everyone still would think this to be a fair question. So is everyone wrong but the four people in all of these 4 1/2 pa pages of posts? They’re interestingly enough three leaf fans and one habs fan. In fact habs and sabres fans have nicely kept things civil for the most part, not sure why you in particular need to make posts like this, we get it man, you prey they will just be awful forever. I don’t know what sabres fans did to you when the leafs were awful for a decade and a half But whatever they did I apologize on their behalf. The season can’t come soon enough, Sabres also aren’t nearly as bad as many think with the goalies this year for the reasons I’ve already elaborated in above. Since you’ve been known to not read threads before posting though, I’ll briefly Touch on that too, a different coaching system will implemented, look at what trotz and Berube did last year Hutton can be a great backup as he’s proven and is playing in a Contract season To boot, will be highly motivated and paying in front of a better defense, as is Ullmark who was a great prospect and still has loads of potential, only entering year two your and judging on one season behind an awful system, he had fLaws sure, but even then he didn’t suffer his second regulation loss until like his 14th game. And again that defense in front of him has been altered for the better. Too many guys presently but some can be moved to add more forward depth while others can push players to play their best as well as add Insurance should Injury occur. And better Yet, we may see one of the best goaltending prospects in the world In UPL who has the advantage of playing in front of I’d say the best Sabres roster on paper then Any time in the the last decade as of now most liekly. I’m not expecting Them to make the playoffs but 85 or more points finishing anywhere from 4th to 7th is realistic, I’d say they finish fifth just ahead of Montreal with 89 Pts, Habs, 87. Florida 93 misses playoffs. The division produces three playoff Teams IMO. But laugh away, find the possibility of Buffalo finishing ahead of MTL “hilarious” because we all shall Remember t because he who laughs last, laughs loudest.

Reactions: lauraP

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
Offense

1st line - Buffalo --- Tatar/Danault/Gallagher | Skinner/Eichel/Reinhart
2nd line - Montreal --- Drouin/Domi/Suzuki | Johansson/Middlestadt/Olofsson
3rd line - Montreal --- Lehkonen/Kotkaniemi/Armia | Vesey/Rodrigues/Sheary
4th line - Montreal --- Byron/Poehling/Weal | Girgensons/Larsson/Okposo

Defense

1st pair - Buffalo --- Mete/Weber | Dahlin/Ristolainen
2nd pair - Montreal --- Kulak/Petry | McCabe/Montour
3rd pair - Even --- Chiarot/Juulsen | Scandella/Miller

Goaltending

Starter - Montreal --- Price | Hutton/Ullmark
Backup - Buffalo --- Kinkaid/Lindgren | Hutton/Ullmark

I disagree with most on here that Buffalo is better "On Paper". They have the highest end talent in Eichel, but lose out on the rest of the roster.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Disclaimer:

The following reply below is long, (shocking) lol, save the jokes, they’re not original or funny, try and get your post liked some other way to Those who just can’t seem to come up with anything original maybe you feel like you “fit in” by joining those people who repeatedly joke about it. I don’t know, I focus on me so you should focus on You. Or simply just skip It, simple? People that say that repeatedly, it says more about them Then me. But I back up My opinion with facts and have always been thorough And will Always be that way. Sure, sometimes I’ll Edit it and cut it out since it would be way too redundant with this posts that way
TheTime.

But if I have something to say, like to this guy right here, oh you get it going to
Say it

Fades to black, static,

***deep male voiceover:
“The preceding announcement has been paid for .. by the new order...”
“4 life (echo: life life life)

Oh but it does. If you feel like reading why you can. You should just stop though with those posts, because your going to be proven wrong without a doubt on certain things, and maybe more on the others because a lot of what I say here is with a optimistic outlook, sure no denying that but a lot of this IS going to Happen. Stuff your conveniently omitting which is no surprise as almost every one of your posts about buffalo follow an Agenda and have the same ignorance. Using last season as a precursor is irrelevant when so many things have changed and so many surprises happen each season, many believe the habs overachieved, and buffalo the opposite. Even though the sabres Improved 16 points. After December it was woeful but there is a lot to like going forward. Don’t believe me, well you’re in luck because it’s Right here. Enjoy. Or don’t because you won’t want to believe the next part.

When talking about 35 ot players, first off Johansson does so many other things on the ice that even if he hits 40, it’s anout as good as 55 pt player do the other intangibles
He brings. You talk like victor Olofsson doesent exist either by bringing up Vesey and the like as our only Depth hope. Might as well bring up Curtis lazar, you’re
Completely ignoring Mittlestadt and his ability, the guy got better as the year went on and was tremendous a lot of nights he didn’t even get a point. The potential is there, Johansson and mittlestadt Could definitely improve each others game, E-rod is also good, Sheary May be better but Vezey could easily be in the fourth line. Since you don’t know who he is, Olofsson lead the shl in goals, with one of The sickest shots he notched over goals 30 in his first try in the ahl. The same roster, Alex Nylander Couldn’t even hit double digits on multiple years tried. But we turned that into Jokiharju a top four dman one day and already easily a NHL defensemen. Olofsson with a top 6 role could hit over Twenty goals especially if that shot is set up by elite playmakers in Eichel and dahlin with ample
PP time, and it’s also Mighty easy to say “outside the first line.” Yeah let’s just forget about one of best players in the league, a forty goal scorer who just signed a monster deal he has to Live up too, and Reinhart who is in a contract Year and had improved From 50 to Low 60s and his finding his game as a two way player with elite iq. Not going to get into guys like cozens, Johnson, asplund, samuelsson, polar too young, I think cozens is still a year or two away.

You’re other then “dahlin” is always funny too, when you and others use that. As if Brandon montour wouldn’t be in any other teams Top four (outside a few) he was dynamite and with a camp and team familiarity this time he should be even better as he’s a year older, with a camp and team familiarity, but back to Dahlin, you can say other then him which is funny because “other then” seems to ignore how good and important something is like Your other then the top Line comment. RD was only the 2nd best 18 yr old dman of all time statistically ahead of Bobby Orr for 2nd place, now his year of experience should not imorove his game but now that he’s used to The ice surface, the culture/country and his teammates, as well as all the pressure of being a highly Touted 1 overall off of of him, he very could Push for 55-60 Pts this year. Especially when you consider the other points about better forwards, and likely an improved system, other d men like Colin Miller, Henri Jokiharju, Jake McCabe, Marco Scandella are pretty good defensemen. All of them. Not great but good and risto has amazing tools but has had no support his whole Tenure on anbaf team And still is just 25, still young for a dman. Even If he’s moved we get a better top six winger perhaps if hes not We still have a great dman.. I’m not even mentioning Lawrence Pilut Who is like the Olofsson on d because he’s probably out until December and we will have to move someone to make room, he’s going to be excellent and she should Of started here last season. There others from Bogosian, Nelson, Gilmour and Maybe Borgen gets a shot. Either way it’s improved, especially when you consider montour and dahlin who are now both Familiar with the team and league Respectively. That incorporated with a new and “has to be better” coaching system feel like new additions in itself.

So in saying all that, even with all Those points I’ve listed, and Even without them quite frankly, everyone still would think this to be a fair question. So is everyone wrong but the four people in all of these 4 1/2 pa pages of posts? They’re interestingly enough three leaf fans and one habs fan. In fact habs and sabres fans have nicely kept things civil for the most part, not sure why you in particular need to make posts like this, we get it man, you prey they will just be awful forever. I don’t know what sabres fans did to you when the leafs were awful for a decade and a half But whatever they did I apologize on their behalf. The season can’t come soon enough, Sabres also aren’t nearly as bad as many think with the goalies this year for the reasons I’ve already elaborated in above. Since you’ve been known to not read threads before posting though, I’ll briefly Touch on that too, a different coaching system will implemented, look at what trotz and Berube did last year Hutton can be a great backup as he’s proven and is playing in a Contract season To boot, will be highly motivated and paying in front of a better defense, as is Ullmark who was a great prospect and still has loads of potential, only entering year two your and judging on one season behind an awful system, he had fLaws sure, but even then he didn’t suffer his second regulation loss until like his 14th game. And again that defense in front of him has been altered for the better. Too many guys presently but some can be moved to add more forward depth while others can push players to play their best as well as add Insurance should Injury occur. And better Yet, we may see one of the best goaltending prospects in the world In UPL who has the advantage of playing in front of I’d say the best Sabres roster on paper then Any time in the the last decade as of now most liekly. I’m not expecting Them to make the playoffs but 85 or more points finishing anywhere from 4th to 7th is realistic, I’d say they finish fifth just ahead of Montreal with 89 Pts, Habs, 87. Florida 93 misses playoffs. The division produces three playoff Teams IMO. But laugh away, find the possibility of Buffalo finishing ahead of MTL “hilarious” because we all shall Remember t because he who laughs last, laughs loudest.

You know why I don't mention guys like Victor Olofsson? it's because they haven't done anything, and please don't come at me with AHL stats, because they don't matter, and all you have to do to sprove that is look at Garett Sparks, he was AHL, goalie of the year, won the AHL championship had the NHL backup job gift wrapped and HANDED to him and a silver platter and proceeded to be so bad that for intents and purposes they told him to f*** off before the playoffs and now he's in Vegas, so there is how much AHL stats mean.

As for you accusing me of hating Buffalo there are 3 teams, I hate, Ottawa, Montreal, Bostion, my attitude towards Buffalo actually comes from people like you telling me I don't know what I don't know what I'm talking about even though I have been right every single time it started in 2015, when I said Robin Lehner wasn't the guy in Buffalo and Surprise surprise Robin Lehner wasn't the guy in Buffalo.

Then Carter Hutton came in I said Hutton wasn't the guy in Buffalo and you specifically told me I didn't know what I was talking about and surprise surprise Carter Hutton is not the guy in Buffalo and by the way neither is Ullmark but I said that a year ago to.

Now I'm saying they aren't better than Montreal because they still don't have a #1 goalie and they still don't have a #2 center which is another thing I said last year that you laughed at, and surprise surprise I was right.

Until the Sabres get a #2 center and a #1 goalie they will continue to struggle and I have said that for years too.

Last edited:

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
I think you misspelled Boston lol

Your opinion. I think this Babcock thing is really going to cause a rift between the media and him, between him and his teammates and the media and team. Thankfully for you guys he will more then likely be fired after this year if they fail to win their first round since the days ray Ferraro was still playing. Lol

I see Barrie, Ceci and kerfoot as recent replacements for Kadri, Gardiner, Brown, Zaitsev, Hainsey, Marleau, Borgman, Rosen, Sparks, Ennis. Oh yeah Spezza too he’s a rich man ennis now likely, version but fourth liner.

I think Dubas did an interesting thing with realizing his core (AM, JT, MM, WN, MR, FA) and “building around” those six. The only problem building around is going to be tough when your a good team that makes the playoffs but doesent go anywhere, so they’re not going to get a high first rounder likely any time soon nor have they since Auston.

It also doesent help with that in mind that six players in depth roles have 20-30 or more goals and have been given away in the last year, JVR, Bozak, Komarov, Brown, Marleau, Kadri, that’s six guys who scored at a level of as I said at least twenty a couple of them 30.

I realize they have Kapanen And Jonson It’s just the leafs we’re amazing in depth before but now they’re top heavy. It’s fine though because they got a good core, better then a lot of teams but can they take the next step and can they do it with babcock? Dubas was intelligent to not give Babcock a vote of confidence but retain him another year not just because their paying him but because now he has a “fall guy” this year if things go wrong.

I just don’t know if they’re “a lot better” Gardiner gets blown up in leaf nation but his skating and offense was great, Zaitsev gets blown up in leaf nation after his good rookie year but still brought some things to
The table, it’s like Ben hutton leaving Van? Good first year and then tailed off and leaving but fans just can’t automatically look at that as a win. Because the guy who takes his spot has to not only Be, but play at his level and better and it’s not a guarantee. Sometimes the devi You know Is better then the devi you dont know, the backup will be in the air if it should work we will see, but that’s On Dubas to not keep Curtis M.

The highest two issues though that make me
Feel if Toronto will actually be better outside The obvious Babcock issues is they lost a lot of things that can’t be replaced very easily. People think Marleau (he’s old! Easily replaceable) uh no...there’s more to hockey then points. You don’t realize what a veteran like that isn’t he room, leadership ca being to a table with young kids. Not just him but Hainsey brought the experience and leadership on the back end too. That’s tif is the things we don’t see behind closed doors. It’s important In pro sports especially hockey or it wouldn’t be so universally touted.

Brown was a hometown boy and Kadri was a veteran leaf, one of if not the last of he old and was the only sandpaper they had really, his contract was also amazing and was a perfect two way center. Mention his mistakes sure hit it wouldn’t of happened again in all likelihood and his checking ability is great, also plays the agitator roll well.

I know as in life you have to spend to gain, the leafs did and have I’m just not sure if Barrie, Ceci, Kerfoot and 4th line Spezza can overcome all of the above to make the team better, could it happen? Sure the leafs could even make the finals, but I want to see them win a round before I label them higher. I still think they’re going to finish third out of 8 in the best division in the league so that’s still great.

Reactions: JayfromNB1219

GOALOFSSON

Game Changer
Jun 6, 2018
Aspland
You know why I don't mention guys like Victor Olofsson? it's because they haven't done anything, and please don't come at me with AHL stats, because they don't matter, and all you have to do to sprove that is look at Garett Sparks, he was AHL, goalie of the year, won the AHL championship had the NHL backup job gift wrapped and HANDED to him and a silver platter and proceeded to be so bad that for intents and purposes they told him to **** off before the playoffs and now he's in Vegas, so there is how much AHL stats mean.

As for you accusing me of hating Buffalo there are 3 teams, I hate, Ottawa, Montreal, Bostion, my attitude towards Buffalo actually comes from people like you telling me I don't know what I don't know what I'm talking about even though I have been right every single time it started in 2015, when I said Robin Lehner wasn't the guy in Buffalo and Surprise surprise Robin Lehner wasn't the guy in Buffalo.

Then Carter Hutton came in I said Hutton wasn't the guy in Buffalo and you specifically told me I didn't know what I was talking about and surprise surprise Carter Hutton is not the guy in Buffalo and by the way neither is Ullmark but I said that a year ago to.

Now I'm saying they aren't better than Montreal because they still don't have a #1 goalie and they still don't have a #2 center which is another thing I said last year that you laughed at, and surprise surprise I was right.

Until the Sabres get a #2 center and a #1 goalie they will continue to struggle and I have said that for years too.

So Olofsson just doesn't exist and our depth is just automatically shit? Good luck with that.

This will probably be the final buffer year until we start to take off. Still massively improved the forward and defensive depth from last year, should be close between the two teams this year.

xNogaitx

Akuna Matata.
Sep 9, 2017
Edmonton
My guess for the Atlantic this year (Ranked in orders and by categories):

Playoffs locks:
1. Tampa Bay
2. Boston

Playoffs/WC contenders:
3. Panthers
4. Montreal
5. Toronto
6. Buffalo

Out of it:
7. Detroit
8. Ottawa

To me there will be a noticeable separation between the 3 groups, I see Panthers surging into that 3rd locked spot for playoffs. I think everyone can agree over Tampa & Boston there for the top two seeds.

Then Montreal I believe will get that 1st/2nd WC spot with younger guys stepping in (Poehling, Suzuki, Evans, Juulsen, Fleury, etc.) this year at varying degrees to improve over last year's roster.

I see Toronto either being that 2nd WC if the Metro doesn't provide a 4th good team, or fall off by a little kind of like the Habs did last year.

Buffalo is my dark horse in that, on paper they always seem like they could make it, but somehow never do. So I keep them in that grouping because of well...who knows at this point.

Detroit & Ottawa embracing lengthy rebuilds as usual.

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
You know why I don't mention guys like Victor Olofsson? it's because they haven't done anything, and please don't come at me with AHL stats, because they don't matter, and all you have to do to sprove that is look at Garett Sparks, he was AHL, goalie of the year, won the AHL championship had the NHL backup job gift wrapped and HANDED to him and a silver platter and proceeded to be so bad that for intents and purposes they told him to **** off before the playoffs and now he's in Vegas, so there is how much AHL stats mean.

As for you accusing me of hating Buffalo there are 3 teams, I hate, Ottawa, Montreal, Bostion, my attitude towards Buffalo actually comes from people like you telling me I don't know what I don't know what I'm talking about even single time it started in 2015, when I said Robin Lehner in Buffalo and Surprise surprise Robin Lehner wasn't the guy in Buffalo.

Then Carter Hutton came in I said Hutton wasn't the guy in Buffalo and you specifically told me I didn't know what I was talking about and surprise surprise Carter Hutton is not the guy in Buffalo and by the way neither but I said that a year ago to.

Oh man....just going to ask how you have possibly been saying for years “until buffalo gets a number two center they will struggle” for years and years, lol when before They had ROR? Once again you don’t make any sense, I don’t mean that to be rude
It’s just your logic doesent fit, and it also doesent fit about Olofsson having “done nothing”, which I elaborate on below. You also didn’t say Buffalo would struggle as our main point of disagreement you came in here acting like this was a silly argument to ask, calling the threads integrity into question as If it was such a stretch. Then you want to tell me that you’re not a Sabres basher when you’ve done it in every thread regarding them, multiple times in the past Year or two? Often when unprovoked and almost always unnecessary. You even ignore the possibility of mittlestadt and his development becoming that 2C, he absolutely is great and has that potential, if you’d of watched him play last year you’d know he was amazing even in games he didn’t even get points. On buffalo Like Eichel you can sometimes be the best player On the ice in a game and can end up after the game with 0 points. It happens, those totals you saw initially are not everything or Mackinnon wouldn’t be looked at as a top Five player, he’d be damned by his first 5 years. Yes they were better then Casey’s first year but they had very different potential/expectations as a first and seventh overall pick. I’m not even suggesting it will happen but you are completely ruling out the possibility. Why? I thought you didn’t bash the sabres? Since when does a players ability when they are young solely rest on what they were the year before? I’m not even saying the sabres will be good this year, but again you rule these possibilities out like they’re fact, which ultimately all your doing is proving the agenda I said you had to be right.

This is all about proving to you that someone asking if Buffalo could be better then MONTREAL isn’t “hilarious” in the slightest. Which is again what you suggested then when I responded, you
Never touched on why that was. As I said before, habs and sabres fans have kept this civil. LEAF fans, I hate grouping you guys like that by 3-4 of you have come in here and said: Things like: = there’s no argument for it honestly” - CLWM.... “Habs>-Sabres because anything> Sabres” ...”Lol is this a joke, buffalo will be a bottom feeder like always”....And lastly you “this is hilarious, buffalo bashfest. Etc x 4 repeat” it’s so redundant guys, we get it the leafs are the be all end all and buffalo will Always be trash. We apologize that every person on this forum doesen’t agree with such a novel concept.

And people wonder why many use terms like “leaf fans”.... this has nothing to do With them and while Montreal and buffalo fans are being civil (we both know there’s a chance either teams could be better) it’s Those four Toronto fans who haven’t.

So again, there’s a distinct difference between a team struggling and a team being in contention with one that finished just 5th in the division last year while Buffalo finished 6th. Many of you thought Montreal would be a bottom feeder last
Year Too, ...How did that Turn out? So I don’t see how it’s so inconceivable to suggest that with these teams spots literally beside each other last season couldn’t be switched, especially after offseason acquisitions, a coaching change and BUFS two best players who have both top ten in the game potential are a year older in the right way, whilst Montreal’s best two are fragile and a year older in the wrong way. We’re talking about a “one spot shift” in the standings. ONE. That’s not hilarious whether it’s buffalo and Montreal, Tampa bay and Boston, or Ottawa and Detroit.

The forward crop has most certainly improved and that second line you touched on, whether it’s Mitts with Vesey, Okposo, Thompson, Sheary, Johansson or any combination of Olofsson/Reinhart or skinner/Rodrigues , literally, there’s 8 guys Mitts could play with and one of Them should work. The other should be Johansson with both Marcus and Casey, and with them both being good at other things then just point totals you point to from both being pretty low, even If mittlestadtt gets just 15-20 more Pts in his second season coming up he will be a legit 2C. So because at 19 in his rookie year he didn’t establish that with awful linemates he’s suddenly a bum and not with mentioning, got it. Let’s start ruling out everyone before their second season since you’ve done that with Ullmark, Mittlestadt, you’re even doing that with guys like Olofsson who have yet to join the team and I can’t wait to get to that as it’s the best part.

Saying Carter Hutton wasn’t the guy doesent make you a genius. He wasn’t terrible Last year, the team was terrible, worst coached year in the history of the franchise not one move in the lineup, or Timeout or challenge, or anything....Huron started Off amazing and then due to his inexperience of playing that Much behind a weaker defense to boot, he couldn’t keep up. Predicting the sabres to suck every year in net isn’t exactly very bold or worthy of bragging rights considering they haven’t had a goalie Since Miller who had proven to be legit. I said above in another post that Hutton can be a solid backup Which he’s proven to be and he’s now in a Contract year, one more fact you completely overlooked. Behind a different coaching system to one that hasn’t worked as well as an improved overall team he could do great in the back up role where he fits best, especially with motivation galore in money in a contract year potentially for the last time. You know he will wasn’t to cash out. Ullmark could turn into a number one goalie, just like mittlestadt could also turn into a number two center. Saying buffalo doesn't have these things as gospel is ridiculous. They don’t have it going in but they could have it As Soon as The puck Drops.I don’t know if you didn’t read what I said about both Ullmark and UPL, I gave several Reasons why they could obtain those spots but holy god man, both were kids who played just one year on a bad teAm. They showed signs last year and have potential in spades. Ukko Pekka Luukonen is one of the best goaltending prospects in the world m, him potentially joining that improved environment could also be a surprise.

Finally, (saving the best for last) Victor olofsson has loads of potential. To say he “hasn’t done anything” and then to further and try and justify THAT as why you ignored him is completely asinine. I find it more believable you either forgot him, or don’t know Who he Was. I completely disagree he’s done nothing. That’s what you say about a player who’s been called up and hasn’t produced at the pro level. If someone was bragging about their ahl numbers but didn’t produce in the NHL despite given a chance, then that’s what you can say about player that he’s done nothing. Tage Thompson, while having potential you could say “has done nothing.” At least not worthy of being a first round pick, see the difference? No? (Because you don’t want too) here’s another example/reason perhaps better explaining that, ....when Petterson broke forsbergs records in that league but hadn’t played in the NHL yet would you of said “nah not gonna list him, he’s done NOTHING.” Last year during Canuck previews? Of course not.

Olofsson not only lead that league in scoring and before I go on (just so we’re all clear I’m not Saying he’s On EP level, not delusional) ....but both did remarkable things in the Same league and not have a crazy shot and I’m just illustrating a point to you that because someone Hasn’t played NHL Games doesen’t mean he hasn’t done anything so let’s just not mention him. The funny thing about that too actually is that he HAS had some brief NHL Experience, and what did the kid do. He sniped here too When given the chance getting a few points in a few games, Continuing to produce every single place he’s gone. And that was on a Buffalo team Who were in free fall at the time.

So if you’re going to discuss both teams depth it would be highly Foolish to discount him, with that sick shot and playmakers like Eichel and dahlin on the PP? Look out. The guy could absolutely Get over 20 goals so it’s ignorant to Just say “he’s done nothing” it’s Not just that he just scored thirty times in the AHL. Or your sparks comment would hold more true. If he’s given a chance on a longer schedule and falls Flat, use that argument then. As of now he’s a threat with plenty of potential because he’s done it everywhere he’s gone and done it wel, hasn’t stopped, and he’s joining a situation that’s going to benefit him totally and completely. Buffalo is a team where someone like HIM actually could jump on any line 1-3 because of the depth issues and could excel because he has the opportunity now with that amazing shot to go in a line with jack Eichel and Sam Reinhart, or Johansson and mittlestadt, with offensive dmen like Dahlin Risto Montour Jokiharju, imagine him on the powerplay in those circumstances with some elite playmakers. And you’re going to tell me it’s fine to ignore him when discussing depth. Okay, sure....let’s just ignore Gusev, Kakko...(again not saying he will be on KKs level I’m just making a point) let’s ignore everyone while we’re at it. Olofsson actually has proven he could hang with the games elite in the few chances he was given. As long as he continues to do well everywhere you absolutely Can’t discredt the guy as potentially being a good depth piece this year. Which is exactly what you did and backed it up with a reason as I just proved makers absolutely zero sense, other then proving you DO have an agenda against the sabres. As much as you say you don’t, these posts and your post history (since I use facts in my arguments) prove otherwise.

All this was about was to reiterate that it’s absolutely not hilarious to suggest that Buffalo could be better then montreal this year and you still stick to that hyperbolic comment despite the
Teams being right next to each other next year, then back up your claims by ignoring half of what buffalo has and very well could have. Okay....

Last edited:

HabsDood

We're the best
Jun 30, 2008
Montreal
Weird thread. Not being a dick here but I feel like we can always beat the Sabres. History, maybe. Wayne Gretzky was a tough customer in 93, so was Ovy and Syd here and there. Talent isn't everything.

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
This is how the Sabres head coach is gonna look like walking into their locker room this season:

9098002.jpg

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
Like this post if you took the time to read the last 3 jack attack posts. Only 3,124 words and 16,770 characters. Jeebus words per minute typing must be off the charts.

Reactions: Raymoondo

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017

Playoffs locks:
1. Tampa Bay
2. Boston

Playoffs/WC contenders:
3. Panthers
4. Montreal
5. Toronto
6. Buffalo

Out of it:
7. Detroit
8. Ottawa

To me there will be a noticeable separation between the 3 groups, I see Panthers surging into that 3rd locked spot for playoffs. I think everyone can agree over Tampa & Boston there for the top two seeds.

Then Montreal I believe will get that 1st/2nd WC spot with younger guys stepping in (Poehling, Suzuki, Evans, Juulsen, Fleury, etc.) this year at varying degrees to improve over last year's roster.

I see Toronto either being that 2nd WC if the Metro doesn't provide a 4th good team, or fall off by a little kind of like the Habs did last year.

Buffalo is my dark horse in that, on paper they always seem like they could make it, but somehow never do. So I keep them in that grouping because of well...who knows at this point.

Lol you can debate if the Leafs will ever win a 1st rd series...but to say they're not a playoff lock going into next season is straight-up laughable.

Dont let your general hate for the leafs skew common sense

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Anyways...as far as OP's thread....I think it's pretty much even.

Sabres have the edge on Defense.
Habs the edge on Goaltending.

The offense is where I'm having a tough time determining who's better

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
Well I didnt because I’m was talking about other people mostly, I even wrote in my post that it wasn’t about you to save you the confusion and posting something like this.

Me quoting you had more to do with my adding to what you were saying or continuing the conversation on the same points.
Ah my bad I missed that part. For the record I realize the Ulmark hype was there but let’s be real. He doesn’t compare to Price. But unlike most Leaf fans, I don’t hate Buffalo and would much rather them be better than the Habs (or Bruins but I’m a realist). They have the pieces to do well but injuries and inexperience seem to hurt them and they have a losing culture, much like the Leafs used to. But they have potential to do good things.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton

Playoffs locks:
1. Tampa Bay
2. Boston

Playoffs/WC contenders:
3. Panthers
4. Montreal
5. Toronto
6. Buffalo

Out of it:
7. Detroit
8. Ottawa

You rank Leafs that low? I think they rank 3rd in division much ahead of 4th and another first round with Boston. Fall off like Hans last year? Habs overachieved if anything and their roster is far ahead of what Habs was last year.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Montreal has better forward depth (although I won't say it's elite compared to other teams) and, when he's on, Price can carry a NHL franchise as well as any one in hockey.

However, I think Buffalo is better, better high end skaters, better defense.

On the other hand, if seems like Buffalo has been underachieving for a couple of seasons now, so maybe I'm just a homer, and Buffalo just isn't as good as I think they are.

I think Kruger will change the team to a positive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad