Is Brule going back to Vancouver ???

• Thread starter DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
  • Start date

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

Before the season started, people were saying that if Malkin didn't come over to north america, that Brule was almost a shoe-in to be R.O.Y. Even with Federov on the sidelines, Brule asn't been getting that much icetime and if he is, he's nothing doing much with it.

So do you think he'll be sent back to Vancouver or he's gonna stick with Columbus... Let's start the debate.

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
McLean recently said he hasn't even discussed it with Brule.

ok, I've been trying to find the article where Mclean said this, but I can't. Am I crazy? Or possibly confusing Brule with another prospect?

Last edited:

Ejh18

Mar 3, 2003
Columbus
Visit site
This is perfect example of a player being to young for the AHL but too-advanced for his junior team. He wont benefit much from spending another year in Vancouver or playing small minutes in Columbus.

He would benefit from spending this year at the AHL level.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Im of the opinion that it is way to early to consider sending him back to junior. Last year Vanek and Carter both got off to incredibly slow starts but were very good players by the end of the year. I think as Brule gets more comfortable his game will get better. He showed a lot of improvement in his last game, lets now see if he can further build on it. Not everyone comes in and lights the league on fire right away, some people need some time to adapt first.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
This is perfect example of a player being to young for the AHL but too-advanced for his junior team. He wont benefit much from spending another year in Vancouver or playing small minutes in Columbus.

He would benefit from spending this year at the AHL level.

i agree. same thing with marc staal.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
He'll NEVER become one if you play him with Jody Shelly. What centre's other than Fedorov are above him on the depth chart? Surely he is as talented as them.

My thought process: Is Brule ready to compete AND contribute at the NHL level?

Impacts:
1) You lose a year of RFA status with him if he plays in more than 10 games, so if the awnser is "No", he get's sent back to VAN.
2) The Jackets would LOVE to make the P/O's this year. If GB is not going to be a significant contributor to that, send him back to VAN. The Jackets aren't in the position of being able to coddle him this year. If he can't contribute - he should go back to junior.

All of that being said - IMO they have to give him a chance on a scoring line for at least the next 3/4 games. If he shows something, maybe you keep him around. But if he can't contribute, keepin him in the NHL is a luxury that CLM can't afford IMO.

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
He'll NEVER become one if you play him with Jody Shelly. What centre's other than Fedorov are above him on the depth chart? Surely he is as talented as them.

It's true... I think Shelley is seriously hurting his development... But Above him on the depth chart are: Hartigan, Svitov, and Malhotra, and rightfully so, because they have all outplayed him so far. But Brule had a good game saturday while pretty much no one else did, so I'd expect him to not be stuck on the fourth line for the next game, even with fedorov's return.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
And if we allowed teams to employ their 19 year old stars in the AHL than the CHL would become far less marketable and interesting.

thats how reality is for every other league. do you think the teams in europe wants to give up their youngsters to the NHL/AHL. every time a good swedish talent leaves for the nhl some swedish dude is on tv crying about it. the sel is getting worse every year because of the nhl. personally i think its a good thing that the young players leave when they are ready. it gives younger players a chanse to be somebody aswell. do you think sam gagner and patrick kane would have gotten the same hype if schremp and bolland still played for the knights??

AgentNaslund*

he could easily be a top 6 player for columbus, i dont know what they are waiting for. . .

nothing against Brule, hes gonna be a good player in the future.

But he didnt look NHL ready in a game VS Vancouver. Its hard to explain, but he just didnt look ready. It was like the NHL is so much faster then the WHL.

If hes not ready, Maclean should do the right thing. Send him back to Vancouver. Because of Mclean, Brule didnt have a chance to fight for CAnada at the world Juniors.

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
thats how reality is for every other league. do you think the teams in europe wants to give up their youngsters to the NHL/AHL. every time a good swedish talent leaves for the nhl some swedish dude is on tv crying about it. the sel is getting worse every year because of the nhl. personally i think its a good thing that the young players leave when they are ready. it gives younger players a chanse to be somebody aswell. do you think sam gagner and patrick kane would have gotten the same hype if schremp and bolland still played for the knights??

The SEL is a professional league, and receives compensation for players lost to the NHL. The CHL receives no compensation for the players lost, and every player has an automatic NHL release clause. The rules are in place to protect the interest of the vast majority of the kids in the CHL, as well as to maintain the integrity and talent level - and thus the developmental effectiveness - of the league as a whole.

There are seldom cases in which the AHL is clearly a better option for a junior aged player than the AHL when considering the size of the CHL; maybe a couple of kids a year would definitely be better off in the AHL than CHL, and that isn't enough to justify what would turn out to be a crippling robbery of the CHL's talent should junior aged players be allowed to play in the AHL. Keeping that talent in the CHL where it can flourish and encourage not only the development of that talent, but also of everyone else in the league who benefit from the resulting overall higher level of play is worth the cost. Both the NHL and CHL agree about this, and that is why the rules will remain.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Why is the expectation for guys like Brule, Staal, Kessel, Latendresse etc...always to excel right off the bat...what's wrong with playing on the 4th line and gradually learning the NHL game.

All of these guys have nothing to gain to go back to their junior teams, they're are plenty of examples of guys who had high draft profiles who started out playing sparingly, then went on to bigger and better things.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad