Is Bobby Ryan a Power Forward or a skill player?

Pothier

Aug 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
He's not a pansy out there, I'll give him that. He's really just average a physical sense. He won't avoid hits, but he'll give them when nessecary. I consider him to be more of a skill player.

DaveyCrockett

Dec 8, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
He is like Jason Allison in this respect. Both guys are incredibly skilled playmakers, strong, and big. Neither has a mean streak but they are tough and aren't afraid to deliver/take a hit.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
DaveyCrockett said:
He is like Jason Allison in this respect. Both guys are incredibly skilled playmakers, strong, and big. Neither has a mean streak but they are tough and aren't afraid to deliver/take a hit.
Jason Allison is a good example. Neither one of them is a pretty skater but they manage to get to the front of the net.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Depends on your definition of "power forward", I guess. If you are looking for a guy in the classic sense of the last generation of power forwards like Owen Nolan, Brendan Shanahan, Keith Tkachuk, Rick Tocchet, etc., who would score, fit, hit, etc, then no, he's not that kind of power forward. He's big and powerful. But not aggressive. Like a John LeClair (with more passing, less shooting). I think he still tends to fall under the modern definition of power forward. :dunno:

MetalMilitia

Jan 8, 2005
Bobby Ryan is definitely more of a power forward than skilled player, that's for sure. Bobby hits people all the time, even when he has the puck. He uses his size along the boards to perfection. He doesn't fight because he knows that he is better on the ice than in the box. I would compare him to a Todd Bertuzzi (pre-Steve Moore incident) without the fighting. He is aggressive when he has to be. He is a playmaking power forward.

DaveyCrockett

Dec 8, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
I really haven't seen Ryan show that mean streak that power forwards have. Yeah he hits, but he isn't like Roberts or Morrow who regularily demolish guys on the forecheck. Ryan is big, strong, and tough, but he isn't a power forward by any stretch of the imagination. He looks a lot like Allison out there from what I've seen.

There are plenty of big and strong players in the NHL. Being able to use size to your advantage is basically a pre-requisite for making the NHL and is a pretty poor qualifier for a power forward.

Last edited:

Randall Graves*

It seems being a power forward as changed.

I would define it as a guy that's big, strong along the boards, not afraid to go to the net, and hit's guys. I left out meanstreak and fighting which are probably trademarks of a traditional power forward.

I will only get worried about his skating if he doesn't show improvement after working with the Anaheim skating coaches after a couple years. I've seen noticeable improvement in Lupul, Perry, and Getzlaf since I first saw each of them

FearTheFlyers

Feb 3, 2003
Visit site
RallyKiller said:
I will only get worried about his skating if he doesn't show improvement after working with the Anaheim skating coaches after a couple years.

His skating is fine. It just looks bad because he's unconditioned.

BobMckenzie

Jul 23, 2003
Ryan had a big night last night. Three goals in a 5-3 win over London to even the series at 1-1. Other notable was David Bolland getting a match for a "kick" of some description on Mike Angelidis. I say of some description because Bolland was apparently getting manhandled by a linesman. The Knights will say the kicking action was part of the manhandling. The OHL may see it otherwise, as did most of the fans at the game. If so, it's a suspension of probably three to five games. Big loss for London, if he's suspended.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad