News Article: Is Bob Nicholson the right person to choose a new Oilers GM?

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
The O.B.C. think tank is going to pick the next GM. They failed the last 3 times, you know what they say, 4th time's the charm!

I think the saying may actually be 5th time's a charm. That's OK though, because the OBC will still be around to finally do the ultimate winning pick for try #5!

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
On vacation with plenty of time to listen to various podcasts from around the league. We are such a laughingstock it’s not even funny. (No pun intended)

One thing is clear, Nicholson is going to be asked by those he interviews what involvement the OBC has and about autonomy. I’m not sure Nicholson can answer that with a straight face.

I’d take the job on the condition that MacTavish is fired before I get there just to ensure Katz has the stomach for what comes next. A thorough hosing out of the barn.

Reactions: MikeGrier99

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The problem I have is I think Nicholson is good for business. He's a smart man with connections.

The problem from there though is who really could you trust to pick the right guy to run the hockey end of things? How does one actually pick the right President of Hockey Operations?

Reactions: Dr Awesome

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Who the hell really knows is the answer. How much do we really know about Bob Nicholson? We’ve watched what 4 or 5 interviews and we’re supposed to be able to judge the inner workings of his mind and how he conducts business behind closed doors which NONE of us has seen?

He’s qualified is pretty much all we can say. He has the credentials and connections to make hockey type choices. Even if he makes a decision, there’s so many variables that go into whether that decision ends up being successful or not. Like who knows where we’d be if Boston let us having Hamilton instead of Calgary.

MikeGrier99

May 20, 2017
Who the hell really knows is the answer.

We do know that the on ice performance has been embarrassing for most of the time he's been here. We also know he spews crap in his press conferences about forensic audits that are either total fiction or laughably infective. He has more or less totally botched things thus far, there's pretty solid reason to be skeptical of his ability.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Imagine having a blank cheque and going into a supercar dealership and picking the best cars available, and then everyone says "man, this guy knows his stuff."

That's Bob Nicholson. I don't understand how he gets props for his assistance with Hockey Canada and the Olympics, to be entirely honest.

Reactions: skuzzycuzz

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc
Daryl or Harrison?

I don’t see them making this move yet, I think there’s a good chance Harrison is named Assistant GM but I don't see him taking over the reigns until another 3-5 years of learning the ropes. Kid’s been around the game since 12 or so, you can’t discount that rare experience.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Imagine having a blank cheque and going into a supercar dealership and picking the best cars available, and then everyone says "man, this guy knows his stuff."

That's Bob Nicholson. I don't understand how he gets props for his assistance with Hockey Canada and the Olympics, to be entirely honest.

Perfect analogy. Joey Moss could have been in charge of that Canadian Mens Olympic Team and we still would have had gold.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Welp he's going to have to be.

They don't need to find a super GM really, they need to find someone who can make a decent trade once in a blue moon, draft better (low bar there), isn't a total marshmallow in contract negotiations, and values/seeks out skill.

There are multiple people that likely can do a decent enough job here.

Reactions: Raoul Duke

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Welp he's going to have to be.

They don't need to find a super GM really, they need to find someone who can make a decent trade once in a blue moon, draft better (low bar there), isn't a total marshmallow in contract negotiations, and values/seeks out skill.

I think Gillis on the one hand was good at contracts and acquiring depth. However Hunter would probably be best bet for development.

Ideally we do a Toronto and have an experience guy like Gillis and some wonder scout as assistant GM. I want Keith Gretzky out. Hes done a poor job drafting. We only think hes done well because we are use to such poor drafting in the past that anything remotely promising looks like a win.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think Gillis on the one hand was good at contracts and acquiring depth. However Hunter would probably be best bet for development.

Ideally we do a Toronto and have an experience guy like Gillis and some wonder scout as assistant GM. I want Keith Gretzky out. Hes done a poor job drafting. We only think hes done well because we are use to such poor drafting in the past that anything remotely promising looks like a win.

Gillis as POHO
Hunter as GM

Bingo, bango, bongo.

I'd keep Keith. He has found players like OEL, Patsranak, and McAvoy, any one of those players would be a game changer for this franchise. No one knocks it out of the park with every draft, people think that but it doesn't happen. Tampa's last four drafts have been meh.

Reactions: Dr Awesome

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Gillis as POHO
Hunter as GM

Bingo, bango, bongo.

I'd keep Keith. He has found players like OEL, Patsranak, and McAvoy, any one of those players would be a game changer for this franchise. No one knocks it out of the park with every draft, people think that but it doesn't happen. Tampa's last four drafts have been meh.

Those are all first round picks, taking BPA at that spot. Its not like Pastranak was expected to go in the 3rd round. He was also in charge of that disastrous 2015 draft where Bruins passed on Barzal, Chabot and Connor.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Those are all first round picks, taking BPA at that spot. Its not like Pastranak was expected to go in the 3rd round. He was also in charge of that disastrous 2015 draft where Bruins passed on Barzal, Chabot and Connor.

Yeah and? Oilers whiff on a lot on 1st round picks themselves, who have they taken in the 20s as good as Pastrnak? Which D have they drafted as good as OEL with any pick?

I believe Keith was in charge of only one of the three picks the Bruins had and his pick was DeBrusk, which is still a decent player.

Very few teams have home runs in every draft, Tampa hasn't found shit in the last 5 years aside from Point, which was a huge get.

I look at the Jets drafting and their 2nd/3rd/4th round drafting hasn't produced much at all, they have hit paydirt with the majority of their 1st rounders though -- Trouba, Ehlers, Connor, Laine, Schiefle.

Reactions: smokersarejokers

yegoldboysclub

Jan 30, 2019
This gong show has all happened on his watch. He should have nothing to do with picking the next GM. Today, Mcdavid played with Lucic and Rattie. If I was Katz, that would be enough for me, its must be embarrasing for Katz that thats the best his management team could do in four years. He believed in Peter's plan, actually one of the few if not only person, Ive ever heard say that, during the last year, that includes some of the most casual of hockey fans. I think Bobby should resign.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Is Bob Nicholson the right person to choose a new Oilers GM?

He couldn’t even be Patrick to Spongebob.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Bob Nicholson is the type of guy that sees Kris Russell as indespensiblr because of character is some shit.

He fails to realize he needs to flop all the time on the ice as he's always out of position..

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Bob Nicholson is the type of guy that sees Kris Russell as indespensiblr because of character is some ****.

He fails to realize he needs to flop all the time on the ice as he's always out of position..
Probably thinks Koski is a competent goalie and that Hitch still knows how to coach as well.

MikeGrier99

May 20, 2017
Team will always be underwhelming with this management.

They keep talking about how culture and loyalty are the only things this organization has. Our organization stinks and everyone in hockey knows it. If Kevin Lowe and MacT couldn't get something going by now, why the hell are they with this organization? It's coming to the point where I'm simply not going to waste my time with Oilers hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad