Is Bengt-Ã…ke Gustafsson...

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Leo Naphta said:
...the first captain of a World Championship winning team (1987 and 1991) to win it as head coach too?

I know he is the first Swede.

Not the first to do it as a player but as a captain? I dont know. He is the first one to win both the Olympic and the World in the same year.

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
No, Bobrov did it before. Gold medals as : captain in 1954, 1956 at WCs, Captain in 1956 at Olympics, Head coach in 1973, 1974 at WCs.

BtW, Bobrov was captain of national football team and he is the only player in Olympic history who was captain of both football and hockey teams ;)

PS. He won national championship in Bandy twice too, but I don't know was he captain or not

Leo Naphta

May 14, 2004
On top of the World
Kaizer said:
No, Bobrov did it before. Gold medals as : captain in 1954, 1956 at WCs, Captain in 1956 at Olympics, Head coach in 1973, 1974 at WCs.

BtW, Bobrov was captain of national football team and he is the only player in Olympic history who was captain of both football and hockey teams ;)

Interesting. Thanks for posting. So he and BÃ…G has two titles each as captain and two titles each as head coach, right? (The Olympic Champions were automatically awarded the WCH gold in '56).

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
Leo Naphta said:
Interesting. Thanks for posting. So he and BÃ…G has two titles each as captain and two titles each as head coach, right? (The Olympic Champions were automatically awarded the WCH gold in '56).

Damn! The rosters have already been made for the 2006 world cup since the deadline was few days ago... Seems like BAG will have to wait 4 years to captain team Sweden in the world cup if he wants to catch Bobrov. :) :win:

Last edited:

Leo Naphta

May 14, 2004
On top of the World
TORRUS said:
Damn! The rosters have already been made for the 2006 world cup since the deadline was few days ago... Seems like BAG will have to wait 4 years to captain team Sweden to the world cup title if he wants to catch Bobrov. :) :win:

Now, wait a minute, did he actually win in football too in 1956 :amazed:

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
Sorry, fixed it... I don't know who won in 56'. Wasn't that Pele's first world cup appearance?

But the point still stands! BAG has to captain the Sweedish football team!

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Kaizer said:

PS. He won national championship in Bandy twice too, but I don't know was he captain or not

Thats amazing. The biggest legend in Swedish Hockey, Sven Tumba played for both nationalteams, but only won 2 gold in hockey.

Leo Naphta

May 14, 2004
On top of the World
TORRUS said:
Sorry, fixed it... I don't know who won in 56'. Wasn't that Pele's first world cup appearance?

But the point still stands! BAG has to captain the Sweedish football team!

Nah. It doesn't count if you don't win. :D

I thought you meant the olympic soccer tournament in '56. I don't know which team won that one. But it wasn't Brazil. Odd as it may seem, Brazil has never won that tournament. (But Sweden has :teach: )

Brazil won the World Cup in 1958 though - no World Cup was played in 1956. They beat Sweden in the final in Stockholm. Up until the last Sunday in February that was Sweden's finest achievement in sports.

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
Yes, I mixed the Olympic and world cup tournaments.

So you can expect the new finest sports achievement in 2054.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->