Is Barry Trotz a HOF coach now?

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
There is no HHOF category for coaches. The category is for builders. Someone like Joel Quenneville helped build the Chicago Blackhawks. Can we really say Trotz helped build a historically memorable team? I don't think he has yet.

(Yes, I know the HHOF Committee sometimes breaks their own rules).

Say Hey Kid

Under the Sign of the Black Mark
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory
There is no HHOF category for coaches. ...
First ballot HHoFers are the same way. Yes, some guys get in the first time, but people talk about it as if it's some officially recognized category by the HHoF, but it's not.

Last edited:

SlickHands

Apr 11, 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
There is no HHOF category for coaches. The category is for builders. Someone like Joel Quenneville helped build the Chicago Blackhawks. Can we really say Trotz helped build a historically memorable team? I don't think he has yet.

(Yes, I know the HHOF Committee sometimes breaks their own rules).

Uh... two things... For one, "builders" is just a generic catch all title for owners, coaches, and general managers. It sounds better than calling it white guys in suits. Plenty of the coaches in the hall of fame have gotten in because of their coaching ability and not their team building ability (Pat Burns never coached anywhere longer than 4 seasons, and his one cup came in his first year with the franchise).

This is the actual description for the Hall of Fame's website (which I think it still hosted on Geocities): Coaching, managerial or executive ability, or ability in another significant off-ice role, sportsmanship, character and contributions to his or her organization or organizations and to the game of hockey in general. The criteria isn't strictly building something.

Also, while I wouldn't say the Predators had a "historically" significant team under his tenure, he built a very competitive program from the ground up there that had the unenviable task of competing against the dynasty era Red Wings.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Uh... two things... For one, "builders" is just a generic catch all title for owners, coaches, and general managers. It sounds better than calling it white guys in suits. Plenty of the coaches in the hall of fame have gotten in because of their coaching ability and not their team building ability (Pat Burns never coached anywhere longer than 4 seasons, and his one cup came in his first year with the franchise).

This is the actual description for the Hall of Fame's website (which I think it still hosted on Geocities): Coaching, managerial or executive ability, or ability in another significant off-ice role, sportsmanship, character and contributions to his or her organization or organizations and to the game of hockey in general. The criteria isn't strictly building something.

Also, while I wouldn't say the Predators had a "historically" significant team under his tenure, he built a very competitive program from the ground up there that had the unenviable task of competing against the dynasty era Red Wings.

When I said "I realize the HHOF sometimes breaks their own rules," I was specifically thinking about Pat Burns, who IMO was inducted at least partly based on emotional appeal by the media.

A counter-example to your Pat Burns - why isn't Cecil Hart in the HHOF? It's actually very rare for a coach to be enshrined who wasn't also in management at some point in his career. And most of the non-GM coaches enshrined were major innovators in some way (like Roger Neilson's use of video).

Anyway, IMO, Trotz isn't there yet, but he very well could be eventually.

Ishdul

Jan 20, 2007
Besides Quenneville I'm not really sure how the current coaches will fit in the Hall. I feel like every good coach sticks around for 20+ years no matter what.

Reactions: TheDevilMadeMe

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Besides Quenneville I'm not really sure how the current coaches will fit in the Hall. I feel like every good coach sticks around for 20+ years no matter what.

babcock will be in due to team canada success + his cup

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
I honestly don't see a reason why Trotz's career should be rated ahead of Peter Laviolette's. Quenneville and Babcock are both obviously ahead of him.

Trotz's number of wins in his career looks nice, but doesn't mean much. It's amazing how getting rid of ties has rocketed modern-day coaches and goalies up the all-time wins lists.

Reactions: TheDevilMadeMe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad