Is Auston Matthews a power forward?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PinkFly

Oct 30, 2017
I don't think the title needs much explaination. Obviously he doesn't fight but he is physical and really difficult to knock off the puck. Hes also not known for throwing big hits.

Thoughts?

gumgum

Oct 15, 2017
not in the traditional sense. there are few that fall into that category now. he’s probably the closest thing to lindros this incarnation of the nhl will have for a long time, though. if your skating and puck skills are what primarily seperate you from the average nhl forward, then you don’t fall under that umbrella, to me. that category as it were was made for guys that produced by being purely overpowering and was often applied to guys that produced offensively despite lacking pure puck skills. it’s a whole different thing. trent hunter was that. auston matthews is not. lucic still is. matthews is not.

ChiefWiggum

Dec 17, 2016
Newfoundland
He is a modern day power forward. Similar to Malkin and Jamie Benn. Nowadays a power forward is just a ig forward who throws around an adequate amount of checks and protects the puck well

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
I don't think he's quite the modern day power forward either, at least not yet. He's not that physical. He's got the frame for it. When I think of modern day power forward I think of guys like Benn or Ovechkin. Malkin is better comparable to Matthews IMO and I wouldn't consider either a power forward. Not soft or anything but just not the type of player I'd say is power forward.

Reactions: Dack and Kelly

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
LQCfqZJ.jpg

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
The power forward style is dead

It died in the 90s when Kevin Stevens bumped into Pilon and broke his face.

The new niche forward is the zombie forward. A motionless robot with all the tools and a luxurous toolbox.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Auston Matthews isn't physical whatsoever. He barely throws hits, he mostly always goes for the stick lift to strip guys off the puck.. Wouldn't call him a modern day power forward... not sure what I'd describe him as tbh, he's definitely a unique player.

ViktorBaeArvidsson

Greenville Swamp Rabbits fan lol
Feb 18, 2017
The Bible Belt of South Carolina
When I think Matthews the first thing, the first thing I think is a Power-forward. I mean do you guys even watch him play, running around trying to hit people, jeez some people. Thanks OP for teaching these noobs to real hockey.

Do I have to add the sarcastic sticker every time so people don't think I'm serious? Or is this sarcastic enough to not qualify the sticker?

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
He is a modern day power forward. Similar to Malkin and Jamie Benn. Nowadays a power forward is just a ig forward who throws around an adequate amount of checks and protects the puck well

I'd say he's more in the Kopitar mold, and neither are power forwards. Nor is Malkin.

Benn has a mean streak and alone of the players mentioned could arguably be called a power forward.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Nope, sorry but the Leafs doesn't have one. Not unless they are working on meshing JVR's and Matt Martin's genes together. I wouldn't rule it out as I can see Babcock having the contacts, or even owning a laboratory in his basement complete with employees. Maybe this is the place they call 'Robidas Island'.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Matthews reminds me of Jagr for some reason. At first I suggested Malkin but more I see it, I see old school Jagr. Big, slows game to his pace and not overly physical but controls the puck well and shoots

Slap

Sep 28, 2017
Matthews is about the least power forward esque star in the league.
Doesn't hit or fight like at all and doesn't use his size to out muscle people.
Instead he relies on skill.
Why did you make this thread?

QcFlames12

Feb 1, 2012
So what about matthew tkachuk?? He fights, plays hard and dirty, he hits, and most importantly he put up points...!
Tkachuk is a agitator.. Ferland and Bennett are the only players who could be known as powerforwards on the Flames.

The breed itself is dying out, also Matthews is just a two way forward.
Doesn't go out of his way to hit people nor beat them up haha.

Think owen Nolan, Iginla(when he was younger), Bertuzzi.

There are maybe 20-30 powerforwards left in the league who truly fit the name.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->