Is anyone worried about the Leafs allowing goals in the last minute of periods?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
During the pre-season I think in three or four games the Leafs allowed a few goals in the last minute of the 1st and 2nd periods. Now that's the type of goal I hate seeing them giving up the most because of the time when it happens. Anyway I thought hopefully it's something they can fix. However during their game against the Flyers once again they gave up a goal in the last minute of the 1st period with 6.7 seconds left. So when you factor the number of times that happened during the pre-season and now it happened during the 2nd game of the regular season, is this starting to become a bad trend or nothing yet to worry about?

Last edited:

Penalty Kill Icing*

They are able to bounce back after the intermission, so not reallly.

For the end of game, Leafs are a very good closing team. One game where they choked away in last May won't change it. In fact, it will only make them better.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
A few years ago it was the first minute of periods. This sort of thing comes and goes.

BayStreetBullies*

I'd be more worried if they were losing games. In my opinion anyways.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
As long as they keep winning, then why 'worry" about much of anything?

If it starts costing them games, and lasts for more than the two games total we've played so far, then sure, starting wringing your hands and pulling your hair out.

In the meantime.......relax? Enjoy?

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
I think this is more selective memory than anything.

It's always tough to close out a team in their own bard. They are gonna make a big push to come back and possibly tie it up.

I think the style Carlyle is playing we will see a lot of close one goal game. As long as we got one more than they do..

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
During the pre-season I think in three or four games the Leafs allowed a few goals in the last minute of the 1st and 2nd periods. Now that's the type of goal I hate seeing them giving up the most because of the time when it happens. Anyway I thought hopefully it's something they can fix. However during their game against the Flyers once again they gave up a goal in the last minute of the 1st period with 6.7 seconds left. So when you factor the number of times that happened during the pre-season and now it happened during the 2nd game of the regular season, is this starting to become a bad trend or nothing yet to worry about?

are u KIDDIN me lmao

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Long as its not in the third period I'm not too worried about it. Though never a fun way to end a period.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012

The preseason is irrelevant. How many guys playing in those games aren't even with the team now? So, because the preseason is irrelevant, it has only happened once thus far. Nothing to worry about.

My Sweet Shadow

Sep 5, 2008
Sioux Lookout, ON
Sample size; most of the preseason games were 50-50 Marlies/Leafs splits so those stats are pretty much void and then there's only been 2 regular season games so far. Can't really extract patterns from that.

cynicism

Aug 13, 2008
I'm more worried by their terrifying habit of frequently giving the puck away inside their own zone and their apparent inability to chip the puck off the boards and out of their defensive zone. It was a glaring weakness last year and it's worrying they haven't fixed it yet.

BiggestLeafsFanEVER*

I wouldn't say "worried" but I definitely don't like it.

Chandrashekhar Limit

From the runaway slave to a modern day king.
Apr 2, 2009
Milky Way
We just recently started building a winning culture with a mostly young, and inexperienced team. As we start to make winning a habit, and bring in some savvy veterans (Bolland, Bernier, Clarkson) the culture will generally change, and I feel we will be much calmer during the ends of periods/games.

You need that extra bit of drive to finish things off at the end of periods/games where it is easy to left off due to tiredness/pressure.

In fact, I think that loss to Boston might work as a great lesson for this team as to what happens when you start panicking towards the end.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad