Is anyone still defending Boughner?

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Not going to speak on Boughner per se, but I will say about the Matheson/Pysyk situation that the fact they're paired and the amount of ice time they're getting is Boughner's decision, and he hasn't changed his position on it all season despite it's not working out well. So it doesn't speak to Boughner's favor.

As for goaltending, there's been no effort to address this situation by hiring/replacing a goaltending coach (does he currently have one?). That's another situation the coach at least has a lot of input on, if not the ability to make the actual decision.

Something hasn't been working for this team this season, and I don't see Bob making much effort to change anything. He may simply not be versatile enough to coach at this level.
Rob Tallas has been the Panthers goaltending coach for like 15 years lol

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
I'm still defending Boughner.

I mean, I'm not a huge fan or anything. I would definitely prefer to still have Gallant. Who wouldn't?

But the problems this year are not coaching related. (Except our first game where we lost 2-1 I think? And that 5 forward monstrosity of a PP let in a shorthanded goal)

Our goalies suck. That's not his fault. We currently have the second lowest 5v5 save %.

Half of our defence are in over their heads, I don't think that's his fault either.

Okay i understand your Point. But can you tell me what kind of offensive system or style of system he wanna play? Cause i see nothing whats look they try to create a Game, you wanna plays so that the other teams has to adjust. That what we all liked under Gallant, he let them play a system, what function so good that Teams sometime have to give up their own gameplan.

But when i look this whole season, i find not even a handful Games where i would say. We played with a System or a system other teams had to adjust. In short words we dont have a domination Game.
The new Words listen like going in front and try to score some dirty Goals or words our Owner likes OPERATION HOPE.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
The system Dallas played yesterday is more like the system we should be playing. I think Barkov and Ekblad especially would flourish in that system.
We try to rush rush rush everything. Everthing is just about trying to push up ice as fast as possible. Instead of sometimes reading the play, and doing what the situation calls for.

Let me watch back the Game, as Examle is good Dallas known for a lot of set up plays. Where everyone on the Ice knows where to go where to stand and mostly end up near the slots or infront of the Goal and they play this System for season. Even Tampa adjusted there Game and NJ, Teams that loves to do the pass behind the Net upfront in the Slot. But the had a system going and that what im really missing here.

Like you say what we do is so simple that people knowing what comes. In other Word, give the puck to Barkov and hope he is able to entry the Zone cleanly. and that we play and play. No wonder the teams know what to do. Block the Entry or the pass to Barkov. And that you can see from Game to game its getting harder and harder for us to clearly enter the Zone.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
Agreed Malgin does nothing for me. He’s barely an NHL player and a tweener AT BEST. Much rather have a Sheahan there ramming guys into the boards.

Malgin face the same problem as Rau and Grimaldi have. They must be faster then anyone else, cause as we see from game to Game. In the Board battles or entrys near the Boards he get checked into the boards and get seperated with the Puck very easly. But that the usual Problems for player under the min size of 5"10, 5"11. It´s really rare that Players under this size are able to win Board battles.

Grimaldi current found a system he can play and mostly able to dodge his problems on the ice. But malgin still has a high Hockey IQ, good 2 way game and playmaker, but with haley and other linemates their is nothing much for him to play along. And Center postion are all gone from 1-3 with Trocheck, barkov, Borgstrom.

But here another example would you place a player with more skill then more typical physical 4th Line play, on the Line with Haley.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
Let me watch back the Game, as Examle is good Dallas known for a lot of set up plays. Where everyone on the Ice knows where to go where to stand and mostly end up near the slots or infront of the Goal and they play this System for season. Even Tampa adjusted there Game and NJ, Teams that loves to do the pass behind the Net upfront in the Slot. But the had a system going and that what im really missing here.

Like you say what we do is so simple that people knowing what comes. In other Word, give the puck to Barkov and hope he is able to entry the Zone cleanly. and that we play and play. No wonder the teams know what to do. Block the Entry or the pass to Barkov. And that you can see from Game to game its getting harder and harder for us to clearly enter the Zone.
Ya they have figured out pp out to the tune of top 5 pp only. You make no sense

Haj

#CatsAreComing
Apr 6, 2003
Arlington, VA
Malgin was great last night. Probably his best game all year.

Despite his size, he does win battles and throws hits. He is not Brandon Pirri.

He should be getting PP2 time instead of Troy Brouwer.

Reactions: Multigrain

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
Lots of issues with the GM, Coaching, and asset management. With the amount of empty seats they need to do something to get the fan base back. Boughner is not great, but not awful relative to some other NHL coaches. I am not a huge Tallon fan, and you can only blame goaltending so much. There are enough player on the ice to stop the puck before it gets in the defensive zone, but yes goaltending is a piece but I am not expecting miracles. Wondering unless they make a trade will they really be in the sweepstakes for the guys from Cbus. A week or so to tell.

Reactions: Anakinsky

Haj

#CatsAreComing
Apr 6, 2003
Arlington, VA
Lots of issues with the GM, Coaching, and asset management. With the amount of empty seats they need to do something to get the fan base back. Boughner is not great, but not awful relative to some other NHL coaches. I am not a huge Tallon fan, and you can only blame goaltending so much. There are enough player on the ice to stop the puck before it gets in the defensive zone, but yes goaltending is a piece but I am not expecting miracles. Wondering unless they make a trade will they really be in the sweepstakes for the guys from Cbus. A week or so to tell.

Outside of the goaltending problem, my big issue with the coaching staff is that teams with worse roster talent like the Dallas Stars and the Islanders play with better defensive structure and in transition.

We are also bad at 5 on 5, which also doesn't make a lot of sense given our forwards. Our forwards should be better than half the league's forward corps.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Outside of the goaltending problem, my big issue with the coaching staff is that teams with worse roster talent like the Dallas Stars and the Islanders play with better defensive structure and in transition.

We are also bad at 5 on 5, which also doesn't make a lot of sense given our forwards. Our forwards should be better than half the league's forward corps.

Boughner has showed he knows one type of system and it's not working very well.

Goaltending has been the main culprit but our defense is also very average. And like you said, 5v5 the team is bad all across the board. So I fail to see what Boughner does well.

Anakinsky

Dec 21, 2018

COACHING...... say what you will. We do have a talented team in my eyes, but that does not good without a proper coach to manage them. Sure lets go get Panarin and Bob and shake things up. I am sure it will help for a little bit get some spark then back to where we are now. I like boug but we need a new coach and probably more than just that in the upper management area just a matter of what is out there.

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
Rob Tallas has been the Panthers goaltending coach for like 15 years lol
I don't get a lot of media up here in Vermont, so whether or not any goalie coach is still employed is hard to know.
Tallas wasn't a very good NHL goalie, and clearly isn't getting the job done as a coach either - time to replace him I'd say ;)

Tranq

Dec 13, 2008
I don't know if this is on the coach but there have times this season where I've noticed where guys aren't winning board battles or blocking shots.

That tells me we need some tough gritty veterans in our lineup willing to do that. Taking away the captaincy from Derek Mackenzie was wrong. That's not a shot at Barkov. But the values, Mackenzie had were what this teams needs right now

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
I don't know if this is on the coach but there have times this season where I've noticed where guys aren't winning board battles or blocking shots.

That tells me we need some tough gritty veterans in our lineup willing to do that. Taking away the captaincy from Derek Mackenzie was wrong. That's not a shot at Barkov. But the values, Mackenzie had were what this teams needs right now

you need Gritty player if you wanna play a Gritty game. panthers was always an rushing team and used that to their advantage. What is still a bit missing is the Grit in the own Zone.
But when my Forwards can do take away and steals in the O Zone and create Offensive time with that play then good.

By the Way SJ arent even playing a big offensive check and Grit game, they skilled, can handle the puck, skate around the net and win their own Battles.
So why we ned now player like Mackenzie who had Energy but couldnt even help the Team. We have Haley but Haley doesnt even play good Hockey.

The thing called use the strength from the Players to create a game. But whenyou would speak with this coach about practiced line movements and set up plays, i also could speak with a Wall.

That is a Question for all. Tell me in which Game you saw a Game where the Offens create soemthing with a game plan where everyone was opening space?
Because the only thing i see is player chip and chase or try to entry the Zone over the Board get placed in that and loose the Puck. We have no offensive gameplan for 5on5. We have no a PP that works, and has a smaler dry now, that happens. But now work on 5on5 gameplans, that fit the material you have. Sorry and with this skilled player where 3 was for a Point per Game Season around 40 games i dont need a hard checking or Grit Game.

Please stop with this Grit is the answer to anything. Buffalo played a Season like that, Dallas played a Season like that both ended up in the last 5 Ranks in that Season. Special in Dallas was that Gametype against the player they had.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad