Is anyone still defending Boughner?

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
As I said in the other thread, my main problem with Boog is on a micro level.

The on the fly adjustments and strategies just doesnt seem there. I don't deny they can succeed if you look at an 82 game picture.

But when game planning matters, especially in the playoffs where you see the same coach and team repeatedly, he will get outdone.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
Even if you take out the goaltending issues the team would probably be in a wild card spot, nothing more. Gallant got way more out of this team with a lesser roster. Also just look at what a guy like Trotz is doing with the Islanders.

I don't think Boughner is necessarily a bad coach but just a whole lot of meh.
Non of those guys would be near a playoff spot with the goaltending we have received

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
I don't know how you blame the coach for goaltenders letting in greasy goals what seems like about twice a game.

With that said, lately our best forwards have not been productive in 5on5 hockey. That's a problem. That's a real problem. And the coach has to try to find a solution for that.
There won’t be a solution this year. This team is done and rightfully so. They spent 50 games playing .500 hockey consistently from behind playing catch up due to bad goaltending. They will flash here and there maybe even go on a slight run. But goaltending destroyed and deflated this team

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
Chicago was 6-6-3 with Q and they are 17-19-5 with Colliton, so yeah, they are doing worse. So I'm not sure what your point is.
What if there are other good excuses to shift the blame away from Boughner next season as well?
Chicago has been on a pretty good tear lately. They will make playoffs

Anakinsky

Dec 21, 2018
I don't know how you blame the coach for goaltenders letting in greasy goals what seems like about twice a game.

With that said, lately our best forwards have not been productive in 5on5 hockey. That's a problem. That's a real problem. And the coach has to try to find a solution for that.

Agree you can not blame the coach for sh** goal tending, but you can hold him accountable for pretty lackluster 5v5 goals, pretty low team moral ( somewhat on goal tending i will say), and not so great defense. We can point fingers at the defense guys all you want. Like @Flooven stated, look what we did in 16' w/ Gallant, and our roster was imo not close to what it is now.

Everyone thinks picking up Panarin and Bob will be this magic cure to a playoff spot, and maybe it will be. But I have a hard time believing much will change without front office changes, and maybe its not Boug maybe its someone else pulling strings who knows. My point I do not feel just changing out players is going to impact us as much as we would hope.

But with proper leadership, I think the conversation we would be having right now is how far can we get into the playoffs and not who we think should be on the trading block.

I think we have some great talent on our team and the guys are following instructions regardless of how bad they disagree....

Where would we be if our PP was not top 3 in the league..... that is a scary thought.

Reactions: LastOfADyingBeard

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
Good guy but shouldn't be coaching an NHL team. The right coach could be pivotal for this team. Given the nature of the upcoming offseason, I dont see any reason to keep Boughner around.

I dont drop a single ter for loosing him.
He needs far to long to recognise Problems, doesnt know who to bench and who you better play(IMO), Offensive Game 0 strategy. No Lines player are moving or open up Space, chip&Chase for 2 Years s the answer.

No he is definetly not an NHL Coach. Would i wait one more Year before i move on. If all the trades happen, he should get called a Cap after the Season. PP getting better, that assistant Coach done his Job, sure could be better, Capuano def Coach hell no, bye bye.

Who to bring in hard to decide and who are willed, current NHL Vets without a Job, Coach Q and Carlyl and maybe some more after Season is ending, lets see.
Alain Vigneault
Dan Bylsma
only a few Coaches who arent listed with an NHL Team maybe some more interisting Namens. The Talent we have on this Team for a long time, what this Team needs is a System, a solid system with ways to move open space, set up plays.
Former Poster sayed, we had one lost him. Now we search for a Coach of this Caliber to handle all this talent.

Crossbar

Apr 29, 2003
48" above the ice
If it was up to Boog, our roster would look more like SJ. We would consist of guys who will drive hard to the net, deflect pucks, garbage goals, be aggressive on every shift, clear the puck out if pressured instead of high risks in defensive zone, etc....that is why I can't blame him for these lifeless shifts and poor results. Kudos to him for at least getting Ekblad back on track.

Anakinsky

Dec 21, 2018
If it was up to Boog, our roster would look more like SJ. We would consist of guys who will drive hard to the net, deflect pucks, garbage goals, be aggressive on every shift, clear the puck out if pressured instead of high risks in defensive zone, etc....that is why I can't blame him for these lifeless shifts and poor results. Kudos to him for at least getting Ekblad back on track.

So in your opinion no coach would really make a difference ? Possibly why Gallant is with Vegas ? If that's the case then who do you think is pulling the strings ?

I just do not think he has made great adjustments with they players he has.

Flooven

Nov 21, 2018
SoFla

Ekblad has kind of been flying under the radar but he's really come to this year on the blue line. Probably his best defensive season yet.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Crossbar

Apr 29, 2003
48" above the ice
So in your opinion no coach would really make a difference ? Possibly why Gallant is with Vegas ? If that's the case then who do you think is pulling the strings ?

I just do not think he has made great adjustments with they players he has.
I don't think coach Q would make any significant difference specifically here, just like his final 2 seasons in Chicago (some where else on a more veteran team he would).

Maybe a Trotz or Montgomery would fix some holes here on defense, but we'd probably still struggle to score at even strength and the team would still have no identity, we're not fast like Tampa and we're not big or physical like Caps/Jets/Bruins.

Reactions: I am not exposed

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada

Our defense don't hit enough or block enough shots, we should be playing a collapsing system (feel Gallant used this) to protect the net but once skilled players are able to cycle the puck down low, none of our D will hit them to separate them from the puck and our wingers seem to be in no man's land either not helping the D down low or not close enough to opposition's D to get it out of our zone. Ekblad has been the most noticeable for separating the opposition from the puck and having the ability to clear it without icing it. Opposition spins us in circles and pulls people out of their spot and coverage is blown leading to a goal

Brouwer leads the team in hits with 104, ranks tied for 68th but probably closer to 90-100th overall
Pysyk with 92,
Ekblad with 87
Vatrano with 82
Weegar with 72
Sceviour with 68
Trocheck with 58 in only 28 games (was our leader last year with 145 in 82GP)
Kiselevich with 49 in 32 games

Matheson is currently blocking the most shots with 81 on our team and he's ranked tied for 73rd but it's closer to 100th overall.

Feel we are pretty soft in our own end and clearly Tallon noticed this by bringing in Brown and McCoshen who are both averaging 2 hits a game in their 8-10 games played. Think Petrovic was 2nd or 3rd on our team in hits last year just for reference.

Trouba has 76 hits in 57 games, averaging 1.3 a game with 136 blocked shots (7th in the league)
Manson has 136 hits in 52 games (tied for 30th), averaging 2.6 a game. 63 blocked shots

I'd be doing a lot to get one or both of those guys on the team. Pesce is another one who doesn't overwhelm with only 39 hits in 48 games but has 90 blocked shots. Just makes sense with your comment about Boog trying to replicate SJ's defense with our top 6 but outside Braun and Dillion, their main guys like Vlasic, Burns and Karlsson have similar stats to our big 3 D.

Last edited:
Reactions: pantherbot

Crossbar

Apr 29, 2003
48" above the ice
Our defense don't hit enough or block enough shots, we should be playing a collapsing system (feel Gallant used this) to protect the net but once skilled players are able to cycle the puck down low, none of our D will hit them to separate them from the puck and our wingers seem to be in no man's land either not helping the D down low or not close enough to opposition's D to get it out of our zone. Ekblad has been the most noticeable for separating the opposition from the puck and having the ability to clear it without icing it. Opposition spins us in circles and pulls people out of their spot and coverage is blown leading to a goal

Brouwer leads the team in hits with 104, ranks tied for 68th but probably closer to 90-100th overall
Pysyk with 92,
Ekblad with 87
Vatrano with 82
Weegar with 72
Sceviour with 68

Matheson is currently blocking the most shots with 81 on our team and he's ranked tied for 73rd but it's closer to 100th overall.

Feel we are pretty soft in our own end and clearly Tallon noticed this by bringing in Brown and McCoshen who are both averaging 2 hits a game in their 8-10 games played. Think Petrovic was 2nd or 3rd on our team in hits last year just for reference.

Trouba has 76 hits in 57 games, averaging 1.3 a game with 136 blocked shots (7th in the league)
Manson has 136 hits in 52 games (tied for 30th), averaging 2.6 a game. 63 blocked shots

I'd be doing a lot to get one or both of those guys on the team. Pesce is another one who doesn't overwhelm with only 39 hits in 48 games but has 90 blocked shots. Just makes sense with your comment about Boog trying to replicate SJ's defense with our top 6 but outside Braun and Dillion, their main guys like Vlasic, Burns and Karlsson have similar stats to our big 3 D.
Very nice breakdown, agreed.

We definitely also need better goaltending for sure, but SJ is showing they can overcome bad goaltending with Jones sporting a .899 SV% and Dell .892 SV%....Reimer has .898 SV% and Lu has .895 SV%, so not a significant difference.

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany

Yeah ekblad getting Player. But that is the only Point.

What kind of Coach would play the SJ System with the Panthers Roster, that makes even no sense. We doesnt have their type of Players and when you as a Coach try to get the Job, you know you must play a different System.
GG showed the World, that Panthers can play Hockey why he had a System that fits with the Roster Type Players liked. When you as a Coach come to a new Team as they i wanna play System, you need to change your whole Roster i wouldnt even phone back or open the Door.
No Coach in the World would be doing it, you have to figure out which System works as best with the Team. And he as Assistant Coach only knowed the Way of SJ and now he must find his own Way of Hockey and have no Idea, or his Idea is a chaotic Line juggling.
Does this workout on a Team that has his best Season with daily Line-combination.

Sorry this Coach has no Idea how to work with this Team and try now bring in unskilled Big Players that banging and bring in physical Game, he know from SJ. But for that he loose all the skill and game plays SJ had.

barry trotz fit everywhere cause he has a solid System, everywhere he goes Teams getting better then before.
GG proves after Florida and junior Team, his System still works with current Vegas Roster.
perter Laviolette Quit with Philly, disappeared joins then Nashville, with a complete new System special for nashville. So he worked on himself to find a system for the new Team.
Mike Babock a heck of a Coach well respected for his knowledge and his system of Hockey, who made Detroit even in bad years a PO Team. Now creating a Cup Team.
John Tortorella known for his aggresie and very offensive game, came to Columbus and worked on himself to get a more solid System. He still doing a good Job.
Claude Julien in 1 Year he let play Montreal the Game he let play in Boston, why both Teams had near the same Roster not so much adjustment to be made.
deBoer one of the best Defensive Coaches coaching maybe the best offensive BlueLine in the league, Coach fit to the Team. Always an PO Coach since NJ.
maurice up and downs in Winnipeg, he brought in a new system for the Team, where the succes of practice and steady process was able to see, game to game season to season.

All of this Coaches did something our Coach was unable to do, brought in a System for the Team or had a System and was able to bring in the system near.
He is bad, or bad with the Panthers and is unable to adjust to it, so he plays the rest of the Season with players skateing and banging. And still dont know where to stand.

Only as a example from yesterday Game. Trocheck Barkov Huberdeau Line drive around the net and the only chance where the rebound would end was right to the Goalie side. Trocheck was staying up high in the Slot where the Puck never would able to reach. When this would be a set up play, serious practiced Trocheck would skated in the position the puck is ending up. And i see a lot of Teams in this league doing this or other Game plays and set up.

We have none of them. And that what makes me so unhappy. He ws us sold as a Coach with a Plan and a System, that he gave up latest middle of last Season where we start playing chip&chase like beginning of this Season.

Reactions: LastOfADyingBeard

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Very nice breakdown, agreed.

We definitely also need better goaltending for sure, but SJ is showing they can overcome bad goaltending with Jones sporting a .899 SV% and Dell .892 SV%....Reimer has .898 SV% and Lu has .895 SV%, so not a significant difference.

I liked Gallant for his defensive style gameplay but his offense left you wanting more. Now the main forwards werent as developed yet but as bad as the goaltending has been, it's just frustrating watching Boog's system totally shut down high flying offensive teams like TOR and VGK to one goal, NSH, PIT and SJ to 2 goals, some periods only allowing them 8 or less shots and then the moment where we need the PP to click to go up by 2 or 3 goals, we give up a shortie on blown D coverage or a softie from Lu or Reim.

Theres just some mental lapses in the D zone late in games where we need more veteran presence. Both with goaltending and defense. Lu just cant move like he used to and Reim is less hot and more cold, if they chase Bob then were all in for the next 4-5 years and I'm honestly excited. If anyone needs to go, its Capuano for me.

If Tallon can somehow swindle Q on a 3-4yr deal (hes getting paid by CHI for next year as well) and put Boog (if he wants to stay) in Caps spot. Boog may feel slighted but he obviously would/should respect the Q hiring. Although Q would want to bring in his own guys but maybe knows this team isnt far from contention, just needs another veteran presence on the bench.
McFarland has shown the ability to bring us a decent PP so he should stay but he needs to figure out how to improve 5 on 5 scoring. Feel like Vatrano is leading by 10 goals in that category.

/rambling

Last edited:

Flooven

Nov 21, 2018
SoFla
I liked Gallant for his defensive style gameplay but his offense left you wanting more. Now the main forwards werent as developed yet but as bad as the goaltending has been, it's just frustrating watching Boog's system totally shut down high flying offensive teams like TOR and VGK to one goal, NSH, PIT and SJ to 2 goals, some periods only allowing them 8 or less shots and then the moment where we need the PP to click to go up by 2 or 3 goals, we give up a shortie on blown D coverage or a softie from Lu or Reim.

Theres just some mental lapses in the D zone late in games where we need more veteran presence. Both with goaltending and defense. Lu just cant move like he used to and Reim is less hot and more cold, if they chase Bob then were all in for the next 4-5 years and I'm honestly excited. If anyone needs to go, its Capuano for me.

If Tallon can somehow swindle Q on a 3-4yr deal (hes getting paid by CHI for next year as well) and put Boog (if he wants to stay) in Caps spot. Boog may feel slighted but he obviously would/should respect the Q hiring. Although Q would want to bring in his own guys but maybe knows this team isnt far from contention, just needs another veteran presence on the bench.
McFarland has shown the ability to bring us a decent PP so he should stay but he needs to figure out how to improve 5 on 5 scoring. Feel like Vatrano is leading by 10 goals in that category.

/rambling

I think Gallant just knew how to play his team's strengths. We have a much more talented and capable forward group today than we did under him. Yet somehow were ranked worse in goal scoring. We were a team with identity under Gallant, under Boogs it feels like were just a collection of talent. Also i'm not ready to say this coaching staff is the reason the PP is so good. Hoffman single handedly turned it around, can't say it'd be the same without him.

16Skippy

Sep 12, 2009
I'm still defending Boughner.

I mean, I'm not a huge fan or anything. I would definitely prefer to still have Gallant. Who wouldn't?

But the problems this year are not coaching related. (Except our first game where we lost 2-1 I think? And that 5 forward monstrosity of a PP let in a shorthanded goal)

Our goalies suck. That's not his fault. We currently have the second lowest 5v5 save %.

Half of our defence are in over their heads, I don't think that's his fault either.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I think Gallant just knew how to play his team's strengths. We have a much more talented and capable forward group today than we did under him. Yet somehow were ranked worse in goal scoring. We were a team with identity under Gallant, under Boogs it feels like were just a collection of talent. Also i'm not ready to say this coaching staff is the reason the PP is so good. Hoffman single handedly turned it around, can't say it'd be the same without him.

I agree with Gallant adapting to the team/player's strengths, feel Boog is forcing a system that does work in 10 min stretches but very susceptible to mental breakdowns but management wanted a more offensive minded team/scheme. We're mentally fragile and the momentum can die fast when we get hemmed in our end. Also the forwards need some blame, we need more consistent O-zone time in games as well. Lots of one and done shots.

Hoffman definitely did help but I could argue he just replaced what Trocheck did last year.
Check the numbers, Barkov, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Yandle and Ekblad all on pace for an extra 2-3 PP goals this year
Hoff has 11 PP goals right now, Trocheck had 13 last year.
2nd PP this year, finished 21st last year.
Is that all Hoffman or just general progression of the core forwards? Most PP's run an umbrella setup anyhow.

5 on 5 is a different story, think we're bottom 3 and that's where a guy like Q could come in and fix it. Address the goaltending, top 4 RD spot which should lower the GA/G and add a top 6 forward if possible, preferably one that's good 5 on 5.

Last edited:

sinDer

Nov 22, 2006
Drummondville, QC
I'm no Boughner fan, but we have bigger issues/needs to address.

I disagree

This organization has a losing culture and that needs to change. And it is as important as getting a new goalie.

And it will start with a new coach, an experienced one. A coach with some credibility.

Our core players are still young and they're lost right now. Just like their coach, and that can't work.

Flooven

Nov 21, 2018
SoFla
Is that all Hoffman or just general progression of the core forwards?
5 on 5 is a different story, think we're bottom 3.

A bit of both? Definitely progression there. We're a lot more patient and have smart puck movement. But also Hoffman just waiting there on the wing forces goalies to play more laterally, which opens up chances for other guys.

Whats troubling is that were not a bottom 3 team talent wise. So somethings just not working out between players and Boog. The line salad we play every other night is a tell tale sign of a lack of identity. Bringing Panarin on would make our top 2 lines too talented to fail though, regardless of how incompetent boughner is. Our bottom 6 isn't in terrible shape either, Borgstrom/Vatrano would be outstanding on the third line. Replacing scrubs like Malgin with grittier bottom six guys would be ideal.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
A bit of both? Definitely progression there. We're a lot more patient and have smart puck movement. But also Hoffman just waiting there on the wing forces goalies to play more laterally, which opens up chances for other guys.

Whats troubling is that were not a bottom 3 team talent wise. So somethings just not working out between players and Boog. The line salad we play every other night is a tell tale sign of a lack of identity. Bringing Panarin on would make our top 2 lines too talented to fail though, regardless of how incompetent boughner is. Our bottom 6 isn't in terrible shape either, Borgstrom/Vatrano would be outstanding on the third line. Replacing scrubs like Malgin with grittier bottom six guys would be ideal.
Agreed Malgin does nothing for me. He’s barely an NHL player and a tweener AT BEST. Much rather have a Sheahan there ramming guys into the boards.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada

Very true, his one timer ability is something we haven't seen in a while. Pirri had a decent shot but not like Hoffman's. Bjugstad had one for a year or two. Trocheck's isn't snappy but it's pretty accurate. Getting more production from the 5-6 main PP guys will always help.

So if Boughner gets some credit for a good PP, what about the PK? 16th last year and currently 13th, trending towards a top 10.
One of those Pesce/Trouba/Manson type would help that PK even more.
Need more progression from Borgstrom and Hawryluk. I don't mind the cheap 1-2 year re-signing of Sheahan if possible.

I'd maybe re-sign Haley as 13th forward. He's an asshole to play against, always finishing his checks and wouldn't mind a 4th line of Haley - Sheahan - Hawryluk once in a while. If not, at least we know Brown and McCoshen can drop the gloves.
Sceviour can be traded as well, trims more cap if we re-sign Sheahan and Hawryluk will get more games next year.
Lammikko/Hunt/Greco can be injury callups.

Malgin can be packaged in the trade for a top 4 D man as a sweetner. Will get a cheap 1 yr prove it deal anyhow, decent 4th round find but just has no spot long term. Tippett/Hawryluk/Repo/Noel will take his 2nd through 4th line RW spot soon.

Last edited:

Anakinsky

Dec 21, 2018

Pysyk with 92,
Ekblad with 87
Vatrano with 82
Weegar with 72
Sceviour with 68

This is great, I have always thought that we played super passive didnt ply physical enough or finish checks..

This confirms this awesome breakdown.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Yeah ekblad getting Player. But that is the only Point.

What kind of Coach would play the SJ System with the Panthers Roster, that makes even no sense. We doesnt have their type of Players and when you as a Coach try to get the Job, you know you must play a different System.
GG showed the World, that Panthers can play Hockey why he had a System that fits with the Roster Type Players liked. When you as a Coach come to a new Team as they i wanna play System, you need to change your whole Roster i wouldnt even phone back or open the Door.
No Coach in the World would be doing it, you have to figure out which System works as best with the Team. And he as Assistant Coach only knowed the Way of SJ and now he must find his own Way of Hockey and have no Idea, or his Idea is a chaotic Line juggling.
Does this workout on a Team that has his best Season with daily Line-combination.

Sorry this Coach has no Idea how to work with this Team and try now bring in unskilled Big Players that banging and bring in physical Game, he know from SJ. But for that he loose all the skill and game plays SJ had.

barry trotz fit everywhere cause he has a solid System, everywhere he goes Teams getting better then before.
GG proves after Florida and junior Team, his System still works with current Vegas Roster.
perter Laviolette Quit with Philly, disappeared joins then Nashville, with a complete new System special for nashville. So he worked on himself to find a system for the new Team.
Mike Babock a heck of a Coach well respected for his knowledge and his system of Hockey, who made Detroit even in bad years a PO Team. Now creating a Cup Team.
John Tortorella known for his aggresie and very offensive game, came to Columbus and worked on himself to get a more solid System. He still doing a good Job.
Claude Julien in 1 Year he let play Montreal the Game he let play in Boston, why both Teams had near the same Roster not so much adjustment to be made.
deBoer one of the best Defensive Coaches coaching maybe the best offensive BlueLine in the league, Coach fit to the Team. Always an PO Coach since NJ.
maurice up and downs in Winnipeg, he brought in a new system for the Team, where the succes of practice and steady process was able to see, game to game season to season.

All of this Coaches did something our Coach was unable to do, brought in a System for the Team or had a System and was able to bring in the system near.
He is bad, or bad with the Panthers and is unable to adjust to it, so he plays the rest of the Season with players skateing and banging. And still dont know where to stand.

Only as a example from yesterday Game. Trocheck Barkov Huberdeau Line drive around the net and the only chance where the rebound would end was right to the Goalie side. Trocheck was staying up high in the Slot where the Puck never would able to reach. When this would be a set up play, serious practiced Trocheck would skated in the position the puck is ending up. And i see a lot of Teams in this league doing this or other Game plays and set up.

We have none of them. And that what makes me so unhappy. He ws us sold as a Coach with a Plan and a System, that he gave up latest middle of last Season where we start playing chip&chase like beginning of this Season.
The system Dallas played yesterday is more like the system we should be playing. I think Barkov and Ekblad especially would flourish in that system.
We try to rush rush rush everything. Everthing is just about trying to push up ice as fast as possible. Instead of sometimes reading the play, and doing what the situation calls for.

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
The difference between a good team and a bad team is 5 wins.

The combination of Goaltending and Matheson/Psyk, by my estimate, have cost us at least 10 wins this season.

I'm no Boughner fan, but we have bigger issues/needs to address.
Not going to speak on Boughner per se, but I will say about the Matheson/Pysyk situation that the fact they're paired and the amount of ice time they're getting is Boughner's decision, and he hasn't changed his position on it all season despite it's not working out well. So it doesn't speak to Boughner's favor.

As for goaltending, there's been no effort to address this situation by hiring/replacing a goaltending coach (does he currently have one?). That's another situation the coach at least has a lot of input on, if not the ability to make the actual decision.

Something hasn't been working for this team this season, and I don't see Bob making much effort to change anything. He may simply not be versatile enough to coach at this level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad