Is anyone still defending Boughner?

Flooven

Nov 21, 2018
SoFla
Good guy but shouldn't be coaching an NHL team. The right coach could be pivotal for this team. Given the nature of the upcoming offseason, I dont see any reason to keep Boughner around.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Given the nature of the upcoming offseason, I dont see any reason to keep Boughner around.

New GMs typically like to bring in their own coaches. Tallon's trades/promises have bought 1 more year for him here imo. I don't want a new coach in the 2019/2020 season because I am sure a new GM would want to bring in their own guy.

Hell I wouldn't even wait until after the 2019/2020 season to fire Tallon, if he doesn't deliver July 1st he should be axed.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
New GMs typically like to bring in their own coaches. Tallon's trades/promises have bought 1 more year for him here imo. I don't want a new coach in the 2019/2020 season because I am sure a new GM would want to bring in their own guy.

Hell I wouldn't even wait until after the 2019/2020 season to fire Tallon, if he doesn't deliver July 1st he should be axed.
100% agreed. He’s had his time. Enough of the BS.

Flooven

Nov 21, 2018
SoFla

That doesn't do much for us in the short term. He's been far from perfect, but the team's core isn't in question yet. We have very clear needs that Tallons already committed to addressing, and we're in a good place asset/cap space wise to make it happen. My concern is not getting the best out of the final product because of incompetent coaching. I think that's the bigger threat to this teams success in the immediate future.

It's been two years and we're still playing lineup salad in sunrise.

Reactions: Anakinsky

Anakinsky

Dec 21, 2018
That doesn't do much for us in the short term. He's been far from perfect, but the team's core isn't in question yet. We have very clear needs that Tallons already committed to addressing, and we're in a good place asset/cap space wise to make it happen. My concern is not getting the best out of the final product because of incompetent coaching. I think that's the bigger threat to this teams success in the immediate future.

This is where my head is at as well...

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
If you can get Q or another top coach, sure. Heck, you can even fire Tallon if the coach wants someone else.
I really don't see the point in swapping Boughner for another mediocre coach.

Reactions: Vilam and Flooven

Flooven

Nov 21, 2018
SoFla
The difference between a good team and a bad team is 5 wins.

The combination of Goaltending and Matheson/Psyk, by my estimate, have cost us at least 10 wins this season.

I'm no Boughner fan, but we have bigger issues/needs to address.

Valid point regarding goaltending. Matheson isn't going anywhere, he's still early in his development. Pysyk isn't making much of a difference in either direction. Even with all these issues accounted for, we're still a first round exit to any of the top Atlantic teams. If the moves we intend to make this offseason work out, it's all irrelevant and we should be legitimate contenders. If that time comes, we can't afford to have a lackluster coach.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Yep. He's a good coach imo.

The narrative I read around these boards is hilarious. Bring in an experienced coach, look what other teams are doing with experienced coaches! Yeah, it might be working for some teams (Islanders), but look at the Oilers. Honeymoon period is over for Hitchcock.

Then the whole bring in coach Q, he will save us! Yeah, look how Chicago are doing without him.

Same people saying bring in an experienced coach, are then praising Dallas for going for Montgomery!

People are literally going around in circles. lol

Bougher did pretty well last season imo. And this season, the team has overall been playing for him.
This season most of his decisions have been good. I didn't get why Kis why was being benched, but sounds like it was personal reasons. And why he kept playing Petrovic, but it was to showcase a trade. The line up changes and matchups have overall been good.

Our biggest issue has been goaltending by far. If we had mediocre goaltending this season and playing the same way, then we would be in a playoff spot, and I guarantee we wouldn't be hearing the same complaints about the coaching. I can't recall that much in our second half performance last season.

Fix goaltending in the offseason. Sounds like Bob is on his way. I'm not a big fan, because he is going to get overpaid, but if he gives us mediocre goaltending it will be better than this season! Get a top 4 stay at home physical Dman to play with Matheson. Stick with Bougher for another year. If we fail to make the playoffs next season, then he can go. Along with Tallon. This offseason is huge.

BeezKnees

Jun 4, 2010
Orlando, FL
I think he genuinely cares and works hard, so I still respect him and think he has a future. But I think he’s too inexperienced for us right now. He kind of reminds me of Dineen in that way.
I’m cool with moving on from him at the end of the year if we can hire someone with a proven track record... Plz Quenneville

Reactions: Vilam and Anakinsky

Anakinsky

Dec 21, 2018

The narrative I read around these boards is hilarious. Bring in an experienced coach, look what other teams are doing with experienced coaches! Yeah, it might be working for some teams (Islanders), but look at the Oilers. Honeymoon period is over for Hitchcock.

Then the whole bring in coach Q, he will save us! Yeah, look how Chicago are doing without him.

Same people saying bring in an experienced coach, are then praising Dallas for going for Montgomery!

Bougher did pretty well last season imo. And this season, the team has overall been playing for him.
This season most of his decisions have been good. I didn't get why Kis why was being benched, but sounds like it was personal reasons. And why he kept playing Petrovic, but it was to showcase a trade. The line up changes and matchups have overall been good.

Our biggest issue has been goaltending by far. If we had mediocre goaltending this season and playing the same way, then we would be in a playoff spot, and I guarantee we wouldn't be hearing the same complaints about the coaching. I can't recall that much in our second half performance last season.

Fix goaltending in the offseason. Sounds like Bob is on his way. I'm not a big fan, because he is going to get overpaid, but if he gives us mediocre goaltending it will be better than this season! Get a top 4 stay at home physical Dman to play with Matheson. Stick with Bougher for another year. If we fail to make the playoffs next season, then he can go. Along with Tallon. This offseason is huge.

I agree he did well last season, but I question whether the team is playing for him or not at this point. I don't hate him as a coach, but I would not hate if a new coach came along, just a matter of who is better than our current situation.

Agree with the goaltending its a huge issue and IMO is a huge part of the teams frustration.

Reactions: Vilam and Flooven

Flooven

Nov 21, 2018
SoFla
I agree he did well last season, but I question whether the team is playing for him or not at this point. I don't hate him as a coach, but I would not hate if a new coach came along, just a matter of who is better than our current situation.

Agree with the goaltending its a huge issue and IMO is a huge part of the teams frustration.

Those are my thoughts exactly. Not a bad guy, I like his attitude. Just don't think we can afford to be his learning years right now. Need a guy that can make a difference immediately. Someone who knows how to maximize a talented roster and if the time comes, won't be new to playoff hockey.

Reactions: Vilam

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Even if you take out the goaltending issues the team would probably be in a wild card spot, nothing more. Gallant got way more out of this team with a lesser roster. Also just look at what a guy like Trotz is doing with the Islanders.

I don't think Boughner is necessarily a bad coach but just a whole lot of meh.

Reactions: LastOfADyingBeard

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
I don't know how you blame the coach for goaltenders letting in greasy goals what seems like about twice a game.

With that said, lately our best forwards have not been productive in 5on5 hockey. That's a problem. That's a real problem. And the coach has to try to find a solution for that.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013

Ehhh.. Personally, a lot of the blame goes to the goalies. He's made some questionable moves but can't control goalies missing routine shots. Can't control MM being so bad either (except by benching him which DT would not allow, I imagine).

Let's just look at firing Boog:

What if Tallon can't make it happen in the summer? Florida would have Boughner in 2018/2019. Tallon fires Boughner and the replacement can't have success because the lineup's gonna suck
So DT and the replacement are fired in 2020, and the new GM brings in his own guy. That's 3 coaches in 3 years. You need some consistency.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013

Chicago was 6-6-3 with Q and they are 17-19-5 with Colliton, so yeah, they are doing worse. So I'm not sure what your point is.
What if there are other good excuses to shift the blame away from Boughner next season as well?

Flooven

Nov 21, 2018
SoFla
Ehhh.. Personally, a lot of the blame goes to the goalies. He's made some questionable moves but can't control goalies missing routine shots. Can't control MM being so bad either (except by benching him which DT would not allow, I imagine).

Let's just look at firing Boog:

What if Tallon can't make it happen in the summer? Florida would have Boughner in 2018/2019. Tallon fires Boughner and the replacement can't have success because the lineup's gonna suck
So DT and the replacement are fired in 2020, and the new GM brings in his own guy. That's 3 coaches in 3 years. You need some consistency.

I think the issue of consistency goes away when you bring in a well established coach, especially after a season like we've had. I don't think we should fire him just to fire him, but if I'm DT, and I get the additions I want in the offseason, I'm going after a coach that can make an impact on a team that believes they can contend. Boughner's upside as a coach at the moment for this team, is very limited. A well respected coach can spring us forward at the right time.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Chicago was 6-6-3 with Q and they are 17-19-5 with Colliton, so yeah, they are doing worse. So I'm not sure what your point is.
What if there are other good excuses to shift the blame away from Boughner next season as well?

My mistake, I thought Chicago were playing better. I guess with the West being so bad, and them being more in the playoff race, I thought their record was better under the new coach. However, that record is really similar. My point is I doubt coach Q is going to be the saviour he is made to be!

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
My mistake, I thought Chicago were playing better. I guess with the West being so bad, and them being more in the playoff race, I thought their record was better under the new coach. However, that record is really similar. My point is I doubt coach Q is going to be the saviour he is made to be!
He wouldn’t be a savior but he would definitely be better than Boughner. He’s jsut not a good coach. He’s living off his lucky ass run at the end of last year. You take that out his whole coaching time here has been nothing short of bad.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton

100 percent agreed. Maybe switch out capuano. But your spot on. And sounds
Like the team also realized that goaltending sunk this season long ago

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad