Injury Report: Is anyone recovering from injuries?

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
It's been a very long time since I've read any news of any of our players being banged up and the lack of info has me optimistic that this could be our best training camp in along time.

Does anyone know of any players on our team whom are recovering from off-season surgeries?

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Thanks thadd

:sarcasm:

I would like a mod to shut this down for hfoil reasons. We haven't even made it to the Oilers young stars tournament.

The Human Torch

Sep 7, 2005
Amsterdam
Oilers' fans have been in the IR for the last decade with an acute case of broken hopes and crushed dreams, but we may be cleared to play soon.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Well considering this is all we're getting in responses over 8 hours, I'd have to say that's pretty encouraging. One more reason to be optimistic.

As for Nikitin and Ference... yeah. I hear ya.

If Nikitin doesn't look like a whole new man coming into training camp, this will probably be his last year in the NHL.

If Ference doesn't get a bit of youth back into his hands and his legs he won't be too far off, either.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Connor McDavid is suffering from a previously unknown illness. It doesn't really have any debilitating side effects but its only known cure is the Conn Smythe Trophy.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
I twisted my ankle real bad this summer. I should be ok to start the season though.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Connor McDavid is suffering from a previously unknown illness. It doesn't really have any debilitating side effects but its only known cure is the Conn Smythe Trophy.

Oh yeah, I heard about that illness. I hear that after you win the Conn Smythe Trophy the illness will come back again after a year. Horrible illness, indeed.

Titsuple

Jun 23, 2009
edmonton
Rumor has it Nikitin is in very good shape right now. Will be a wildcard really.

Also what I have heard. Big lean and mean. Hopefully he can actually play that would be huge. There is a reason he was not bought out.

Last edited:

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Rumor has it Nikitin is in very good shape right now. Will be a wildcard really.

I actually have hope for Nikitin when hes healthy and playing for a decent coach. Not a #4 guy but a good bottom pairing guy. Ill hold out till camp to make a call on him

If he can return to columbus days, thatd be huge

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Really hoping Eberle is 100% to start the season. Seems like he's been nicked up for the last two years.

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
Stauffer has said multiple times on his show recently.

Yeah, Nikitin is down to one Philly Cheesesteak a day and is on a strict "get up from the couch and walk around the house for a bit every 30 minutes" regime :rolleyes: He's going to be like greased lightning come camp!

KMart27

Jun 9, 2013
We really need a good start to the season. Can't afford any significant injuries.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown

I was watching through random games throughout last season over this weekend it amazes me how obvious it was that Nikitin didn't give a ****. I don't care if he pleads that he was injured or not, he actually has great edges and can skate when he wants to, as well as some decent hands in close that I noticed a lot when zeroing into him. He makes so many horrible plays because he doesn't care how it ends.

It's so frustrating.

Picking up his paycheque.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I was watching through random games throughout last season over this weekend it amazes me how obvious it was that Nikitin didn't give a ****. I don't care if he pleads that he was injured or not, he actually has great edges and can skate when he wants to, as well as some decent hands in close that I noticed a lot when zeroing into him. He makes so many horrible plays because he doesn't care how it ends.

It's so frustrating.

the whole "doesn't care" analysis is so flawed it's crazy, just like the "lazy" label. Cerebral players are often mislabeled as not caring as much, totally discounting someone like Yakupov who goes 100% all the time and just ends up spinning his wheels with wasted effort and solving nothing. Also, if you have a persistent injury issue, like with Nikitin's back or Whitney's ankles, fans are also quick to label them as lazy which again couldn't be further from the truth. When Nikitin came back from IR he played better, and most people just didn't notice him anymore. I was one of his biggest haters at one point when MacT threw him under the bus, but in hindsight there were several issues where MacT was obviously just lashing out to save his own skin. When he came back I looked at his game closely and he definitely developed into a positive force for Nelson over time.

I'm not a Nikitin fan. However, I am quick to forgive anyone now that we are starting fresh. I also don't much care for any arguments that try to label players as lazy or not caring, whether it be Nikitin or Schultz or anyone. It's just false. The fact that Nikitin wasn't bought out is also telling. We could have saved cap space and real world dollars by buying him out but we didn't. Chiarelli and co must have some idea that he will be a useful player for us.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada

It's so frustrating.

It is what it is.

There were tons of reports that his agent put out tons of feelers and he got a bunch of low ball offers from competitive teams and that Edmonton offered a few mill more than the competitive teams did. He didn't want to go to a basement team but he wanted the $.

He's on a contract year so he's expected to be in shape and play a lot better this year. We should count ourselves lucky that Mac-T didn't sign him to a longer contract.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I pulled my groin last game of the year in April trying to move around someone to get to my seat, but I have fully recovered and look forward to navigating my way to my spot again this year.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
the whole "doesn't care" analysis is so flawed it's crazy, just like the "lazy" label. Cerebral players are often mislabeled as not caring as much, totally discounting someone like Yakupov who goes 100% all the time and just ends up spinning his wheels with wasted effort and solving nothing. Also, if you have a persistent injury issue, like with Nikitin's back or Whitney's ankles, fans are also quick to label them as lazy which again couldn't be further from the truth. When Nikitin came back from IR he played better, and most people just didn't notice him anymore. I was one of his biggest haters at one point when MacT threw him under the bus, but in hindsight there were several issues where MacT was obviously just lashing out to save his own skin. When he came back I looked at his game closely and he definitely developed into a positive force for Nelson over time.

I'm not a Nikitin fan. However, I am quick to forgive anyone now that we are starting fresh. I also don't much care for any arguments that try to label players as lazy or not caring, whether it be Nikitin or Schultz or anyone. It's just false. The fact that Nikitin wasn't bought out is also telling. We could have saved cap space and real world dollars by buying him out but we didn't. Chiarelli and co must have some idea that he will be a useful player for us.

Nikitin came into camp last year out of shape. That does not mean he had layers of fat all around him. Just that he was not in proper hockey shape. And this was not from battling injury. It was from neglect in taking care of himself and pushing himself in the off season, especially after signed a big fat contract. You may not call it lazy. I could use words like not giving enough of a damn, or refusing to act like a professional. Either way, he did it to himself, and the result was hurting himself in camp, and starting his season off on a downward spiral that he never recovered from. I have no sympathy or respect for someone that makes that kind of money and then doesn't completely dedicate themselves to at least coming to camp in the best of shape.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad