Is anyone else here for this Rangers resurgence?

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
They got some really nice pieces, Fox has been quite good, DeAngelo has torn it up, Zib and Panarin are fantastic and some of the young forwards have some pop. Kakko obviously gonna be good.

That said, these things can be blips sometimes, and they might be further away than they look. They were kinda ambling along and then rode a super-hot young goalie to a really nice stretch.

They're mostly super young, and those teams can get wildly hot and even sometimes scrape their way into the playoffs. The Flyers were definitely not "there" yet until this year, but they twice went on crazy late-season runs to become first round cannon fodder in the last few years.

Youngsters will have good runs and they'll have their struggles. Fox to me is a bit Provorov-ish, in terms of his game, and Provy so far had good seasons and good runs and then was also lost in the woods for long periods along the way. Same thing will happen with goalies and forwards. It's hard to get a whole young team playing to their potential all at once.

They got some real good veterans and a lot to look forward to, but I'd caution on being too optimistic at this juncture--playoffs or not. Very respectable season from them so far, but it could be a couple more up-and-down seasons before they break through.

Reactions: Maximus

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
K well I'm hopeful Rooney Mara texts me.

Didn't realize there was 2 of us on this board.... :naughty: :laugh:

Panarin was awesome in the playoffs for Columbus. He led the team that swept the greatest regular season team the league has ever seen.

And I f***ing hate the Rangers btw.

If your post would have said "Panarin's contract will limit their ability to ice a cup-winning team" it would have been more interesting. (I don't actually think that, it just has more merit than your post)

They were one of the best but I think thats a stretch.

Reactions: aufheben

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
What the Rangers are doing is impressive. Tonight was a battle between two hot teams and the Flyers ran away with it. Both of these teams are red hot and playing with confidence. Losing Shesterkin hurt the Rangers--the kid was legit unbeatable. Each game he played, he flat-out robbed the opponent of what should have been goals.

MarAlain MongYeo

GostisBeHere Now
Oct 22, 2016
Theres something about the Rangers-Islanders rivalry that just feels very unique. And when both teams are competitive, it's maybe the best rivalry in the game. Crowds are always good and the pace is crazy.

Reactions: mm11

MarAlain MongYeo

GostisBeHere Now
Oct 22, 2016
They got some really nice pieces, Fox has been quite good, DeAngelo has torn it up, Zib and Panarin are fantastic and some of the young forwards have some pop. Kakko obviously gonna be good.

That said, these things can be blips sometimes, and they might be further away than they look. They were kinda ambling along and then rode a super-hot young goalie to a really nice stretch.

They're mostly super young, and those teams can get wildly hot and even sometimes scrape their way into the playoffs. The Flyers were definitely not "there" yet until this year, but they twice went on crazy late-season runs to become first round cannon fodder in the last few years.

Youngsters will have good runs and they'll have their struggles. Fox to me is a bit Provorov-ish, in terms of his game, and Provy so far had good seasons and good runs and then was also lost in the woods for long periods along the way. Same thing will happen with goalies and forwards. It's hard to get a whole young team playing to their potential all at once.

They got some real good veterans and a lot to look forward to, but I'd caution on being too optimistic at this juncture--playoffs or not. Very respectable season from them so far, but it could be a couple more up-and-down seasons before they break through.

This Flyers team feels different. In 2016 and 2018 it was more a case of the rest of the pack fading near the end and the Flyers doing just enough to squeak in, where as this team is all but a lock to make the playoffs right now.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
I thought earlier in the season that they seemed to have some real chance of being back in it because they just hit on almost every question mark except for maybe Trouba (I see fans complaining about him often). Panarin and Zibanejad seem to have reached new levels and all their young Ds and Gs seem to be the real deal.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Its more of a retool in my opinion after acquiring Panarin, Trouba, Fox and the 2nd overall pick lottery in one off season.......rangers looking good though. Dangerous team if they make the big dance.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
They've executed the rebuild well (although being an attractive FA destination has helped with Panarin, Trouba, etc.).

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
They never had players like Panarin or current Zibanejad during any of those playoff teams though.
Exact. Rangers vs LA Kings in the finals in '14. Before the final begun, I saw in the news paper, the scoring leaders of each team and the Rangers lacked the Elite scoring to take over. In the end, it was over in 5 and NY won game 4 but there wasn't enough offense.

BreadManPanarin

Mar 15, 2017
Zib/Panarin are Toews/Kane-lite (bordering on dropping the “lite” qualifier if they keep up what they are doing)
Kreider, Kakko, Buch, Lemieux are all big wingers who are built for playoff hockey
Trouba/Fox/DeAngelo make a nice up and coming D corps
Shesterkin has the makings of a top 3 goalie in the league.
I agree that they need a high end 2nd center, but without a doubt I think the Rangers are definitely ascending and will be a perennial playoff contender for years to come. And that is good for hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad