Is anyone else excited about the WHA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomWaits

Feb 27, 2002
I have to admit I kinda am. I am a hockey fan and being 32 years old I just missed out really understanding the impact of the orginal WHA.

Our game as we know it is in a mess, the owners aren't going to change neither are the players so maybe the fans should.

Obviously the talent will not be there but hopefully the characters that made the orginal WHA so much fun will be. In Toronto it probably won't take much to peak our interest espically if they are winners.

Let's just say for a minute they sign Crosby... wouldn't it be fun to see him play with Cheechoo and Steve Thomas. Now it is a long shot but why not.

I love that idea that there is a 15 million dollar cap and hopefully that means cheaper ticket prices for the fans because I am sick and tired of getting treated like a pawn by the NHL maybe the WHA might treat me better.... or at least buy me dinner first!

We may never see the puck drop on their season and I highly doubt the second season will see the light of day but it is going to be fun to follow why Bettman and the NHLPA fight over millions.

GO Toros GO - the leafs haven't won for god knows how long so now we have a 1 in 8 chance of winning and that is further than the leafs have gotten in a while!

TomWaits

Pensfan86

Mar 18, 2002
Steel City(Pittsburgh)
Visit site
i personally would be more excited about the nhl season...i would like to see two pro leagues in the US however. I think the WHA could be exciting because more than likely their goalies will stink...so it could be a really offensive league.

TomasPlekanec

Apr 17, 2004
Québec
I'd be more excitted about an NHL season, but the WHA sounds like a league who will concentrate on offense first, so yes I look forward to see some games if this ever take off. I'm sure gonna follow it and cheer for the Nordiks if there's no NHL season..

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
chiavsfan said:
I would be more excited about the WHA if they put a team in Chicago...but they dont seemt o want to capitalize on a market that is looking for a real hockey team...the Blackhawks no longer qualify, and their attendence shows it

I think the WHA will be fun to watch, and I hope alot of players sign on to play their. It'll restore some fun back in hockey while this stupid Lockout will be going on.

Vic Rattlehead*

Nope. If there is no lockout, all that will be playing will be minor leaguers and third/fourth liners.

Blue_and_White

Jul 20, 2004
Regardless of whether there is a lockout or not in the NHL, I will be watching and following the WHA. Even though there will not be the same amount of talent as the NHL, I think it will be an exciting type of hockey. I hope they will be televising games, hopefully some of Hamilton's or Toronto's on TSN or Sportsnet. I'm not to sure yet which team I'm going to be going for though, either Hamilton or Toronto since I live in Ontario. :dunno: I love the Leafs, so it will probably be Toronto.

Jim

Mar 11, 2002
Rochester NY
19bruins19 said:
Nope. If there is no lockout, all that will be playing will be minor leaguers and third/fourth liners.

Let me ask you a question....and anyone else who feels the same. Have you ever or would you ever watch an AHL game? Are you so casual of a hockey fan that if it isn't the best players in the world it isn't worth your time? If you trully love hockey or if you have enjoyed an AHL game....what is the big deal and why are you so negative?

Here is a league that is targeting players too good for the AHL but not good enough for the NHL(maybe do to size) and players who skate on the third or fourth line of an NHL. So if it works, you are looking at a more offensive game with more skill than the AHL and slightly less than the NHL.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Jim said:
Let me ask you a question....and anyone else who feels the same. Have you ever or would you ever watch an AHL game? Are you so casual of a hockey fan that if it isn't the best players in the world it isn't worth your time? If you trully love hockey or if you have enjoyed an AHL game....what is the big deal and why are you so negative?

Here is a league that is targeting players too good for the AHL but not good enough for the NHL(maybe do to size) and players who skate on the third or fourth line of an NHL. So if it works, you are looking at a more offensive game with more skill than the AHL and slightly less than the NHL.
I disagree....

The free agent draft was a joke....drafting NHLers....if they wanted to be serious, then they would draft the Simon Gamaches, Corey Lockes, Mike Weaver, TJ Hensick, JM Liles, Denis Parshin, Mathias Olimb, Sean Collins, Ian White, Jiri Hudler, etc etc....

Those are the guys they should have drafted.....

Feb 12, 2003
George Bachul said:
I disagree....

The free agent draft was a joke....drafting NHLers....if they wanted to be serious, then they would draft the Simon Gamaches, Corey Lockes, Mike Weaver, TJ Hensick, JM Liles, Denis Parshin, Mathias Olimb, Sean Collins, Ian White, Jiri Hudler, etc etc....

Those are the guys they should have drafted.....
So in other words, the guys that were drafted in the WHA Amateur Draft, if eligible.

One thing that is pretty smart, but will detract a lot of players from signing with the teams is that each team is only allowed one non-guaranteed contract for 1 season. Meaning that everyone signed to play on the team, with one exception, has to play the full season in the WHA. That's a total of 8 players in the WHA that can return to the NHL if the lockout is resolved. If they can get the younger players to take the leap because they need the paycheck, they'll get them for a full season at least. Everyone seems to think that the NHL will resume and the WHA will empty out. Only 8 players will leave to go back to the NHL. That also hurts the league because if they allowed more exceptions to this rule, they would likely get more NHL players.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
GoCoyotes said:
So in other words, the guys that were drafted in the WHA Amateur Draft, if eligible.
No, he said that they were targeting small skilled players.
1st Round Selection Pos.
2003-04 Club
Québec Simon Gagné LW
Philadelphia (NHL)
Halifax Travis Green C Boston (NHL)
Detroit Dany Heatley RW Atlanta (NHL)
Hamilton Michael Ryder RW Montréal (NHL)
Toronto Joe Thornton C Boston (NHL)
Founders' franchise Todd Bertuzzi RW Vancouver (NHL)
Dallas Eric Lindros C N.Y. Rangers (NHL)
Florida Brad Richards C Tampa Bay (NHL)

2nd Round Selection Pos.
2003-04 Club
Florida Steve Shields G Florida (NHL)
Dallas Scott Gomez C New Jersey (NHL)
Founders' franchise Corey Schwab G New Jersey (NHL)
Toronto Ilya Kovalchuk LW Atlanta (NHL)
Hamilton Felix Potvin G Boston (NHL)
Detroit Drake Berehowsky D Toronto (NHL)
Halifax Craig MacDonald C Boston (NHL)
Québec Yanic Perreault C Montréal (NHL)

Doesn't look like they are targeted there....in the first two rounds...but they want to look like big shots and draft big names.

Or is drafting Fleury in the third round going to be what is going to lend credibility to the league. As a businessman, I pride myself on being a realist. If the WHA wanted to be realists, guys like Micki Dupont, and et al would be their early picks...players that they could conceivable get, as opposed to this chest pounding and posturing.

Licentia

Jun 29, 2004
I'm super excited... but i'm not sure why. Ever since I was a kid I loved to read the sports section in the paper, just hoping a new league would start. I have no idea why though...

The NHL is really boring now. When the best players can't even get 100 points anymore you know you're in trouble. I want the days of Pat Lafontaine's 159 points (or whatever it was) and Yzerman's 160+ point season, and Turgeon 130+ points and Lemieux 150+. I know those players are not capable of those points anymore, but there are young guys who are, but can't because the league is so defense-oriented now-a-days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad