Is anyone else amazed at San Jose's german scouts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
It's a bit ridiculous almost. Why is San Jose the only team going to the well in Germany? I just do not understand it for the life of me. First they get Marco Sturm and everyone says they got lucky with a German-born kid. Then Goc plays a few games and looks like a future NHL player and still not a lot of talk.

Ehrhoff could be better than both of 'em, and he's very, very soon to be on the Sharks permanent roster.

And that's just the tip of the iceberg. There are a couple more really good German prospects on the Sharks that nobody is talking about.

So is it just the Sharks in Germany or what? At this point, how can any team justify not sending at least one scout to Germany based on the success of recent German-born players? Not to mention it seems almost every German-born player comes equiped with A) an exceptional work ethic and B) skates like the frickin' wind.

NHL Scouts & Mangers: Wake the heck up before the Sharks start invading France.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
San Jose has pretty much all the Germans who have NHL upside.

It isnt like there are tonnes of German prospects floating around.

And most of the Germans San Jose took were picked higher than most thought they would be.

In other words they horded all the Germans.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
The Sharks go out of their way to get Germans, because they know with Sturm bridging the gap, they can get more out of them than anyone else.

X-SHARKIE

Sharks have not taken players out of Germany for the sake of being German.

No one can deny the results. 1996, Late 1st round round, look at what the Sharks got in Sturm in a horrible draft.

2001, Marcel Goc was a stout pick, He was amazing this year in Cleveland and in the playoffs for the Sharks. Christian Ehrhoff is going to be a top six defensman for the Sharks this season, and has the skill to be a force, top 4 defensman, he was a 4th round pick. Dimitry Patzold actually had a good year with a SVP around .913 but he lost a battle to a hot hot goalie in Nolan Scheafer.

Sharks went back to Germany in 2003. Patrick Ehelechner was a 4th round pick, and seems to be the best goalie taken from Europe. He was amazing this year in the OHL for the Wolves. Kai Hospelt is probally just as good as Marcus Kink and could make it to the AHL some day.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Germany's an untapped resource as far as talent goes.

In 3-4 years time, there will be even better players coming out of there.

Especially stronger defenders and 2 way forwards.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
They do well with German prospects. That is hardly a big deal, however.

Many teams seem to have "favorite spots" and specialties. Some teams draft a lot in the WHL, some in the SEL. They all have their recipe for success and when you look at the drafting record of players actually making the NHL and having an impact, the Sharks don't stand out as being an ultimate force or anything.

I mean, don't get me wrong, it's very cool that they do well in Germany but the point i, other teams are doing great elsewhere. They have obviously a good system over there and it takes ressources and talent. You just can't be great everywhere and all the time.

A couple of the players were unearthed but in the case of Marcel Goc, this is hardly a surprise. He was on everyone's radar at the time as a nice talent with great upside. An upside he will likely not achieve to the maximum. He's hardly a surprise gem.

None of this is to knock the Sharks. It is just to answer the title of the thread: No. I'm not amazed at SJ's German scout. I think he's doing good work, that's all.

I agree with the poster who mentions Germany is on the rise. I'm expecting an increase in quality from Germany in the next few years, as well as 1-2 other nations as well. Internationally, hockey is in VERY good shape and the more countries get up to speed, the more we all benefit.

Tronador

Nov 13, 2003
Berlin
Visit site
Don't forget Christoph Gawlik, who could be one of the rising stars in German hockey...he played with 16 the last season in the DEL for Mannheim and could be a first-rounder. :jump:

Safir*

Tronador said:
Don't forget Christoph Gawlik, who could be one of the rising stars in German hockey...he played with 16 the last season in the DEL for Mannheim and could be a first-rounder. :jump:

Maybe the Sharks will trade up to get him. :lol:

The Flyers have Seidenberg.
The Senators have Schubert.
The Capitals have Müller.
The Predators have Sulzer.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
There are more teams like that.. The Wings have a hard on for Swedes, drafting at least 3 every draft. The Stars fancy everything that's coming out of Finland, The Sens nearly draft everything out of Europe..

BTW, are we finally allowed to gossip about Mizral in public now?

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Jay Thompson said:
It's a bit ridiculous almost. Why is San Jose the only team going to the well in Germany? I just do not understand it for the life of me. First they get Marco Sturm and everyone says they got lucky with a German-born kid. Then Goc plays a few games and looks like a future NHL player and still not a lot of talk.

Ehrhoff could be better than both of 'em, and he's very, very soon to be on the Sharks permanent roster.

And that's just the tip of the iceberg. There are a couple more really good German prospects on the Sharks that nobody is talking about.

So is it just the Sharks in Germany or what? At this point, how can any team justify not sending at least one scout to Germany based on the success of recent German-born players? Not to mention it seems almost every German-born player comes equiped with A) an exceptional work ethic and B) skates like the frickin' wind.

NHL Scouts & Mangers: Wake the heck up before the Sharks start invading France.

plus the Sharks have (spelling will be wrong) Patrick Elecshener goalie for Sudbury, he is an amazing goalie IMO and was underrated in his draft, seen him play at the World Juniors for Germany here in Halifax and he was amazing.

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
moosefan said:
plus the Sharks have (spelling will be wrong) Patrick Elecshener goalie for Sudbury, he is an amazing goalie IMO and was underrated in his draft, seen him play at the World Juniors for Germany here in Halifax and he was amazing.

patrick ehelechner is a nice project for the sharks. he needs to play a lot and is a few years away from having a shot at the NHL, but yes...he's underrated. altho he's no starter calibre in my opinion.

Ego

Mar 15, 2002
Slovakia
Visit site
Shark`s Director of Hockey Operations is very high on German guys. On the other hand he doesn`t like Swiss players. It is all about preferences. You can remember how Pittsburgh loves Czech guys, because they had Jagr. Sharks have Sturm, they like him very very much, so they prefer German guys.
All those guys like Ehelechner, Goc or Hospelt would be drafted, Sharks just did it first, because they like them.

Bleifooss

Ego said:
Shark`s Director of Hockey Operations is very high on German guys. On the other hand he doesn`t like Swiss players. It is all about preferences. You can remember how Pittsburgh loves Czech guys, because they had Jagr. Sharks have Sturm, they like him very very much, so they prefer German guys.
All those guys like Ehelechner, Goc or Hospelt would be drafted, Sharks just did it first, because they like them.

Plus, the Sharks have German co-ownership ;)....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad