Kings Article: Is Andrej Sekera worth It?

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I'm in this camp. I'm a fan, not a player - I don't need a mental edge to watch the game.:laugh:

That said, even when I played sports as a kid - you want to win all you can, but when something is out of reach, you win what is within reach. If you aren't making the playoffs, you don't just collapse and stop trying to win - 4th place is better than 5th, which is better than 6th. You're always looking to move up the ladder even if you're not going to be the champ.

I prefer my favorite NHL team to either have the players on the roster to be contending for a cup, reloading, or selling off assets for a rebuild.

You want to be first, last, or an up and coming team. Never be an older team that is going out in the first or second round year after year.

Never think you are going to trade your way, or buy your way to a championship. Core players must be acquired via the draft or as very young players and brought up through the system.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Jerry West said it best when Boston finally lost in the ECF in 1967 to the Philadelphia 76ers. He said the Celtics were just a bunch of losers, like the Lakers, like all of the other teams that season.

That's the way athletes look at it. They don't trumpet themselves as "second best" team. You think the Kings would? **** no they wouldn't.

And players should have that mentality. you aren't a player, none of us are. Relaz, drink a beer and enjoy the game because odds are your team will win the cup once every 30 years. Embraced Jerry's mentality and all you'll be is a pissed off person 29 out of 30 years on average.

I'm sure glad you are not in Kings management. I don't give a **** which player(s) in the past played for 60 ****ing minutes a night, I sure wouldn't want to waste the valuable commodity that Doughty is in that manner. Do you really want to take that chance?

Crazy.

Did I say I'd like to do it? Read Ron instead of spouting off crap. I said some guys can do it and Doughty is a special player. Obviously in an ideal world you give Doughty the perfect amount of minutes so he's at his peak level all the time. This isn't ****ing NHL15, you won't ever have that and if there's any guy that I'd feel comfortable playing 25+ minutes all season its him. We have a training staff that is ok'ing him playing this much, I trust them to know if he needs to be held back or not.

I prefer my favorite NHL team to either have the players on the roster to be contending for a cup, reloading, or selling off assets for a rebuild.

You want to be first, last, or an up and coming team. Never be an older team that is going out in the first or second round year after year.

Never think you are going to trade your way, or buy your way to a championship. Core players must be acquired via the draft or as very young players and brought up through the system.

I agree. The worst thing for a team is to hold onto the 'window' to long. Look at Calgary all the way until they finally dealt Iginla.

Choralone

Oct 16, 2010
Burbank, CA

Sure. But that kind of stuff is in the hands of the GM. The players can only go out and play. Equating the number 2 team with the number 30 team like some people do (everyone's a loser if they're not the champion) is disrespectful to the players and the coaching staff, imo.

If the players played at or above their seeming potential, they earn my appreciation as a fan for doing so. Their record isn't meaningless - they earned it for better (or worse). This is true whether or not they are young or old, or on their way up or down.

Ron*

And players should have that mentality. you aren't a player, none of us are. Relaz, drink a beer and enjoy the game because odds are your team will win the cup once every 30 years. Embraced Jerry's mentality and all you'll be is a pissed off person 29 out of 30 years on average.

Losing in the playoffs sucks even more than not making the playoffs. That's my take. If I think like a player (as in your definition), so be it.

Did I say I'd like to do it? Read Ron instead of spouting off crap. I said some guys can do it and Doughty is a special player. Obviously in an ideal world you give Doughty the perfect amount of minutes so he's at his peak level all the time. This isn't ****ing NHL15, you won't ever have that and if there's any guy that I'd feel comfortable playing 25+ minutes all season its him. We have a training staff that is ok'ing him playing this much, I trust them to know if he needs to be held back or not.

You made the implication that Doughty can do it by spouting off that maybe I heard of a fella named Ray Borque (a pure troll bait statement if I'd ever seen one) that did 30 minutes a night for several decades and inferred that Doughty could do the same. Sorry, I'm not good with that inference.

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Losing in the playoffs sucks even more than not making the playoffs. That's my take. If I think like a player (as in your definition), so be it.

You made the implication that Doughty can do it by spouting off that maybe I heard of a fella named Ray Borque (a pure troll bait statement if I'd ever seen one) that did 30 minutes a night for several decades and inferred that Doughty could do the same. Sorry, I'm not good with that inference.

I mentioned Bourque because you, unlike 90% of the posters around here, are actually old enough to have watched Bourque.

Troll you? Get over yourself Ron. It was actually said as a tip towards your hockey knowledge, stop being a cranky ass.

Ron*

I mentioned Bourque because you, unlike 90% of the posters around here, are actually old enough to have watched Bourque.

Troll you? Get over yourself Ron. It was actually said as a tip towards your hockey knowledge, stop being a cranky ass.

There's a reason why salt is in my signature.

If you had phrased your original post the way you did just now, then there would have been no reason for my ass to have cranked up.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Sure. But that kind of stuff is in the hands of the GM. The players can only go out and play. Equating the number 2 team with the number 30 team like some people do (everyone's a loser if they're not the champion) is disrespectful to the players and the coaching staff, imo.

If the players played at or above their seeming potential, they earn my appreciation as a fan for doing so. Their record isn't meaningless - they earned it for better (or worse). This is true whether or not they are young or old, or on their way up or down.

Absolutely, but if you're a middle of the pack team with a few older guys that are kicking ass, you trade them.

bob77

Nov 19, 2014

I'm 57, and just watched the Derek Sanderson special, and I remember almost all of it as a kid!!! Who's Ray Bourque? I only remember Robert Gordon Orr! Speaking of high paid 3C's!!! None more than Sanderson!! But he was certainly one of the greatest 3C ever in the game!!!

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I'm 57, and just watched the Derek Sanderson special, and I remember almost all of it as a kid!!! Who's Ray Bourque? I only remember Robert Gordon Orr! Speaking of high paid 3C's!!! None more than Sanderson!! But he was certainly one of the greatest 3C ever in the game!!!

As a PK'er Sanderson was always a threat to score.

Ron*

The WHA was absolutely out of control.

apadilla

Dec 27, 2007
Do any of you folks think the Kings will make a big push to sign Sekera before the 1st? It's been awfully quiet with no news on this.

It might just take an 8 Year x 5M = 40M offer to get it done.

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
They have already made their push. I suspect they are waiting to see the final cap number before officially signing on the dotted line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad