Is Allsvenskan 100% professional league or semi pro?

SergeiMakarovStyle

Oct 12, 2011
Professional. Division 1 is semi pro.
I didnt expect that. How can the bad teams that came from Divison 1 to Allsvenskan have enough money to pay like 25 people a year?

How many countries in europe have 2 100% professional leagues?

1. Russia?
2. Switzerland I have heard
3. Sweden?
4. Finland?
5. Germany?

SurMartin

Jul 26, 2010
København/Skellefteå
Is it really 100% professional?
When Skellefteå played in Allsvenskan loads of players had part time jobs (firefighters and such) up until the early 00's when our economy got healthier. Has it really changed that much with the TV-deal and all?

KRM

Jun 9, 2005
Gothenburg
Is it really 100% professional?
When Skellefteå played in Allsvenskan loads of players had part time jobs (firefighters and such) up until the early 00's when our economy got healthier. Has it really changed that much with the TV-deal and all?

Yes, a lot has changed the last ten years or so when Allsvenskan switched to it's current format.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
I didnt expect that. How can the bad teams that came from Divison 1 to Allsvenskan have enough money to pay like 25 people a year?

It's a lengthy qualification process, so there's an extreme long shot for teams that aren't fully committed to make the step up to Allsvenskan. Those clubs are usually up to low or mid Allsvenskan standards already. Newly promoted Karlskrona leads the league right now.

In short, there are more than the 26 clubs currently in SHL and Allsvenskan that can be considered professional.

Allsvenskan is currently a 3000 spectators/game league, which isn't bad at all.

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003

1. Russia?
3. Sweden?
4. Finland?
5. Germany?

germany is same as sweden. 2nd-tier is completely pro, 3rd-tier is semi-pro.

premadonna

Oct 5, 2012
(SM-)Liiga is the only real pro hockey league in Finland, Mestis is a semi-pro league. Liiga has 14 teams, Mestis 13.

SurMartin

Jul 26, 2010
København/Skellefteå
Fwiw, your organisation just signed a 15 year old and got his entire family to move 100km north. It's not heart, it's business. :D
Thilander? You meant 1000km, right? 100km is less than I drive on my daily route. ;)
That's what I mean, as I'm sure you know. SEL is almost all buisness and it's sad to think Allsvenskan is the same now. Of course it makes for better hockey and of course it's fun to watch the neighbours kid shine in SEL, but it felt a lot more cordial when your local hockeyhero also was the one helping you out of a window when your house was on fire.

Though this is most likely just me becoming old and sentimental.

SwissLeaf

Feb 6, 2012

1. Russia?
3. Sweden?
4. Finland?
5. Germany?

NLB (2nd Swiss league) is not 100% profeasional.

SergeiMakarovStyle

Oct 12, 2011
NLB (2nd Swiss league) is not 100% profeasional.

On norwegian tv last year before the world championship an "expert" said that switzerland had 3 professional leagues. I tought that was a bit unrealistic but how could I know?

Switzerland is a rich country and if they got alot of sponsors and tv deals etc it could be true.

SwissLeaf

Feb 6, 2012
Some of the players in the 2nd Swiss leagues are professionals, but not all. I know a guy who played in the 2nd league last year and he worked.. I think 40% normal job, 60% hockey.

And in the 3rd league? Maybe some players who played professional hockey and play there after "retirement".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->