Is a shortened season championship as prestigious as a full season one?

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Considering by game 48 most teams in a regular 82 game season are evaluating their strengths and weaknesses, deciding if they are going to be buyers or sellers at the trade deadline, does having a shortened season make the eventual winner of the championship any less special?

Is there always a "yeah but" in the argument of my team won?

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
If the Senators win ... Yes it is
Anyone else.... No it's not ;)

Realistically:
The only thing that might change is who makes the playoffs. After that it has no real bearing on who wins the cup.

Fitch89

Sep 11, 2011
Voted yes, if you truly believe a given team is good enough to win the cup, there is no excuse for that team to not squeek into at least an 8th place spot. Once the playoffs start, everyone is starting back at square one and it's anyones game to win.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Sure it is: you still need to win 16 games in the playoffs to win the cup, shortened-season or not. They didn't shorten the playoffs.

If anything, the regular season scoring records might be worth less. Smaller sample size, more room for statistical anomalies to occur.

Not the Cup, though.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
They don't play the Western Conference teams until the playoffs, I would say yes but with an asterix. They still get a ring & really for most players that's all that matters.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
In modern day sports endurance is a huge factor. Being able to go through the grind of 82 games and then win 16 playoff games is what makes you earn it. I don't think you can compare a team in a shortened season to one who played a full one.

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
They don't play the Western Conference teams until the playoffs, I would say yes but with an asterix. They still get a ring & really for most players that's all that matters.

There's no asterix next to the 95 Devils Cup. No asterix next to the Cups from the O6 era. No asterix next to Cups from the early expansion era.

I don't see the Cup win being any less meaningful.

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
Sure it is: you still need to win 16 games in the playoffs to win the cup, shortened-season or not. They didn't shorten the playoffs.

If anything, the regular season scoring records might be worth less. Smaller sample size, more room for statistical anomalies to occur.

Not the Cup, though.

I contemplated this same question but what Bonk says is true. The real test is the playoffs, not necessarily the regular season. The regular season is there just to generate enough money to pay the players, otherwise it would probably be 48 games anyway.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
For sure. Some might argue the President's Trophy are the Art Ross lose a bitter of their prestige given the shortened regular season, but the playoff formats remains the same and probably 14 of the 16 teams in the playoffs would still be in the playoffs over 82 games. It's just the bottom few teams that would likely change, and that is unlikely to impact the playoffs (notwithstanding the Kings performance last year).

internetdotcom

11 + 15 + 19 = 666
Jun 23, 2009
Capital O
I thought about posting this myself, you beat me to it.

Of course it is as prestigious. Your team plays the same season as every other team, the playoffs are still 4 long, grueling rounds long. The only real difference aside from the number of games played in the regular season is the importance of each one, so one may be able to argue that in a shortened season it is actually more prestigious, because the whole regular season is more like the importance of the playoffs. You can't afford to take a night off.

GimmeMyJetpack

Classless.
Jun 25, 2012
Ottawa
before this season no one i asked could tell me who the last team was that won the stanley cup in a shortened season...people may think it has an asterisk for the short term but in the long run the team still has a banner and everyone will forget it was a shortened season.

Regardless of this it is entirely as prestigious as any other season.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
I would say, yeah it is the same.

BUT there will always be people who will say it is less meaningful based on who wins.

If Sens won, Leafs/Habs fans wouldn't say it "counted", and vice versa. It is just the way it is.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I would say, yeah it is the same.

BUT there will always be people who will say it is less meaningful based on who wins.

If Sens won, Leafs/Habs fans wouldn't say it "counted", and vice versa. It is just the way it is.

If, hypothetically, the Sens won the Cup this year in a 48 game season, then by that metric:

- The Leafs Stanley Cups in 1932 (48 game season), 1942 (48 game season) and 1945 (50 game season) also don't count. It also puts their 1947-48-49 three-peat Cup championships in serious doubt (60 game seasons each), depending on where you draw the line.
End result: the Leafs 13 cups are reduced to either 10, or 7, depending on how many cups you take away for "not enough games played in a season".

- The Canadiens Stanley Cups in 1924 (24 game season), 1925 (30 game season), 1930-31 (44 games each), 1944 & 46 (50 game seasons each) also don't count.
End Result: 24 Cups become 18 Cups based on eliminating the 6 for "not enough games played in a season".

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
The Los Angeles Kings Dominated in the playoff last year and if they played a shortened season they would not have made the playoffs. Minnesota would have made the playoffs last year.

An 82 game season validates how good the "team" is. They maintain a certain level of quality over a long period of time that half the other teams can't.

It's hard to win the cup but it's not as hard(on the body) when you play 34 less games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad