Potential CBA negotiation issues (was: Is a lockout actually inevitable?)

Jun 15, 2007
Seems like everyone thinks it is. I'm not sure why things can't be worked out.

What are the main issues this time around?

On the owners side, they want shorter max term contracts and less signing bonuses.

Players want what, Olympics?

Are these really insurmountable challenges for them to hash out?

Obviously I'm not a player or an owner but it seems like there can be reasonable concessions on both sides here.

Max contract length becomes 5, 6 for extensions. Signing bonuses can only 50% of the salary.

In return players get their Olympics. Maybe reduce the age of UFA by another year. Or make offer sheet draft pick compensation lower so RFA status is more valuable. Make players be arbitration eligible right after their ELCs.

Jun 15, 2007
Those are some major major concessions for the players.
Are they though? They mostly affect star players. Most guys aren't able to command 8 year contracts and all signing bonus contracts.

Meanwhile more offer sheets and earlier UFA benefits everyone. You don't think the 2nd, 3rd and 4th liners will carry the vote?

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Players want lower escrow. And Olympics.

Owners want to increase franchise values, pay less, get more income.

Where do you get that owners want shorter contracts, lower max? And lower signing bonuses?
(Still looking at 50% of HRR toward players?)

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Players want lower escrow. And Olympics.

Owners want to increase franchise values, pay less, get more income.

Where do you get that owners want shorter contracts, lower max? And lower signing bonuses?
(Still looking at 50% of HRR toward players?)
Given that the owners wanted 5 and 6 year maximums for contracts before settling for 7 and 8, I wouldn't be surprised if lower maximums were something they tried to get.

Last edited:

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Yes, it's inevitable. The owners have yet to be hurt by any of the recent lockouts, as they've always resulted in them getting bigger pieces of the pie and any lost income from the half season/full season off is more than made up for by that over the course of the next CBA (or good from the get go for teams that have time off from being in the red). Fans keep coming back and players keep essentially going with the flow eventually given their fairly short potential career earnings periods, so owners will keep winning with the lockout method.

kgboomer

Nov 12, 2014
Personally, I don't think the owners will take their option to end the present CBA on Sep 2019, but the players will open that can of worms. Once it's opened, a lockout will be inevitable.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
One more lockout and I will have to seriously consider not watching anymore for a few years in protest, this is becoming ridiculous now.

Reactions: GatorDave

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
This is how Fehr works. He waits till 11th hour to start negotiation to the point it basically guarantees a lockout.
Yep, and I don't think I can deal with it anymore, it is basically a lockout every collective bargaining time now.

I don't see how the N.H.L is a strong enough league to keep doing this over and over, at some point the fans are gonna turn, I know I am.

Reactions: GatorDave

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Personally, I don't think the owners will take their option to end the present CBA on Sep 2019, but the players will open that can of worms. Once it's opened, a lockout will be inevitable.

Agreed. The fact that the owners were willing to extent the current CBA in exchange for Olympic participation suggests to me that they’re reasonably comfortable with the status quo.

Will the players exercise the 2019 option? All the media noise we’ve heard suggests they will, mostly due to unhappiness with escrow. I’m skeptical that the players/union will end up with a “better” deal if they do opt out. The past two CBA’s have tilted towards the owners.

Reactions: Mosby

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Agreed. The fact that the owners were willing to extent the current CBA in exchange for Olympic participation suggests to me that they’re reasonably comfortable with the status quo.

Will the players exercise the 2019 option? All the media noise we’ve heard suggests they will, mostly due to unhappiness with escrow. I’m skeptical that the players/union will end up with a “better” deal if they do opt out. The past two CBA’s have tilted towards the owners.
At this point, what is really left to argue about. Once the owners got cost certainty, main issue is to determine what constitutes HRR. After that, it's just semantics of how to divide the pie amongst the players and their rights within the CBA.

Players have set up their contracts to have that year as a low salary year with a lot of signing bonus. Think we're up to $250 million in signing bonus for July 1, 2020. So, the players are prepared if they elect to exercise the opt out next September.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
i'm surprised Fehr is still around

I just kind of assumed he was replaced at some point over the past half decade with how his first year went

NeverBeNormal

Mar 27, 2007
I still wonder why the PA didn't even vote on the 2 year CBA extension for Olympic participation offer from the NHL. A lot of influential members wanted it, and well, lately when the CBA expires the PA gets, ya know, pretty much destroyed.

Reactions: Anisimovs AK

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
Those are some major major concessions for the players.

How about the CBA just keeps guaranteed contracts? That's 10x the "concessions" in the OP.

Is that a major enough concession to the NHLPA? Not enough to just keep making money??

Based on the signings of the last few weeks, it seems the players are getting paid. What's the problem - seriously!? Why not just extend the existing CBA? (maybe with some minor tweaks)

Reactions: GatorDave and um

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Always.
How about the CBA just keeps guaranteed contracts? That's 10x the "concessions" in the OP.

Is that a major enough concession to the NHLPA? Not enough to just keep making money??

Based on the signings of the last few weeks, it seems the players are getting paid. What's the problem - seriously!? Why not just extend the existing CBA? (maybe with some minor tweaks)
They're not getting paid as much as the MLB and NBA.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Seems like everyone thinks it is. I'm not sure why things can't be worked out.

What are the main issues this time around?

On the owners side, they want shorter max term contracts and less signing bonuses.

Players want what, Olympics?

Are these really insurmountable challenges for them to hash out?

Obviously I'm not a player or an owner but it seems like there can be reasonable concessions on both sides here.

Max contract length becomes 5, 6 for extensions. Signing bonuses can only 50% of the salary.

In return players get their Olympics. Maybe reduce the age of UFA by another year. Or make offer sheet draft pick compensation lower so RFA status is more valuable. Make players be arbitration eligible right after their ELCs.

99% chance there is another lock out

kgboomer

Nov 12, 2014
The owners could give them more $$$ and make them play 162 games like in MLB. :sarcasm:

Bookie21

Dec 26, 2017
If Donald Fehr is still in charge of the PA there is a 100% chance of a lockout. His M.O. is to wait until the 11th hour and then make silly demands that he knows the owners won't take kindly too. In return, after pissing of the owners they will go for the jugular and take another pound of flesh from the players like they always do. The BOG vs Fehr is such a mismatch, that always ends in a huge victory for Bettman. Like I said Fehr will lead the sheep to slaughter AGAIN if he's in charge

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

Keeping something you already have isn't a concession. If the owners go after guaranteed contracts, a lost season is assured.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad