Prospect Info: Is a "General Prospect Talk" thread needed/wanted?

Do you want a general prospect thread?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Wanted to gauge interest in a catch-all prospect talk thread, thus the poll. I like having the individual threads for each player to keep up on what they are doing and yet at the same time, the roster speculation thread is not really a place to kvetch about the overall state of prospects and how they might inter-relate.

So... do you all want a general prospect talk thread? I know that I'd like to keep the repository of info going about individual players as well. Rack up a vote and pop up a comment.

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
I think a general prospect thread would serve me well, but I can't speak for anyone else.

I don't really pay attention to the pipeline like a lot of folks here and am really not up to speed on what makes a good prospect anymore. So it might be good to see this topic discussed in a broader context.

But on the downside, like anything else, there would be a lot of conflict in a theoretical prospects thread. So can it be moderated properly? Or will Antipin kompromat all of us, exposing our deepest prospect fantasies to the evil minds at the Kremlin?

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
I kind of use the 'Sabres '17-18 Assets Index' as my quick link the individual threads, which works fine for me (excellent job tying them all together btw!). Seems like there would be quite of bit of overlap if another thread was started.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Yes, I made one and it was deleted. The individual threads can be kept but a thread where the ongoing day to day progress of all our prospects would be good.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
So one all encompassing thread?

And individual prospects thread?

And a 17-18 assets index thread?

I like the individual threads per player. I think we kinda cover anything and everything needed as it's currently constructed :dunno:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I personally lean toward the individual threads, since A) the people who do the leg work on these prefer them (Woodhouse, I'm looking at you my friend) and B) there isn't that much traction in actually discussing specific prospects. If there were more people who wanted to do input rather than just consumption maybe?

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Go with what the posters that updates the threads prefer.

The good thing about a general prospects thread is that it is easier to drop by and write a line or two. Sometimes I do that when watching other teams prospects but I don't know if it is a common thing.
Maybe clarify that there are prospect quick links in the assets thread?

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
I'm fine with either and would participate in either but I prefer seeing individual threads bumped because it let's me know some kind of update with that specific prospect occurred. There was some prospects whose game to game or week to week progress I just don't care much to follow whereas I'd feel continually obliged to frequent a thread always bumped regarding all prospects.

On a different note, similarly ro how we have an around the league new thread I'd endorse an around the league prospect thread to keep me from using the main board to update on 31 teams worth of prospects I'd like to follow however that's likely an extensive operation to take on...

Either way...

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
My opinion......

1st round picks get their own thread, other prospects would be in an all prospects thread that really wont get much talk other than updates. What I noticed in this new system you click the thread it appears to go to where you were last visit so you can catch up say one every week on what prospects are doing.

The time a player may get their own thread is when they seem near ready to be playing with the Sabres.

1st rounders are more high profile and you expect something significant to come from them.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Personally, I'd rather not have to sift through a whole thread if I want to see what people are saying about a specific prospect.

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
I don't really care, but I like that we have a thread about prospect threads, and I would like to have a thread to discuss threads about prospect threads as well. ;)

sabres4ever

Yes, have some!
Jun 5, 2006
Virginia
Personally, I prefer the single threads for prospects. Have been watching the Pu/Mittlestadt threads, when they are bumped, I go the the last post and find out how they fared in the most recent game(s).

Searching back through a consolidated thread would be more difficult, IMO.

My 2 cents.

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+
I like individual prospect threads and their daily updates. It's an archive of a player's progress for future reference as much (or more?) than it is something new to click on every day. If we trade for a prospect and I'm trying to get a read on him, it'd be a nightmare to wade through 1,000 posts of some team's Hagel-esque prospects' ups and downs to find the good stuff, but I'm just the right kind of nuts that I love every .gif and tweet we can get on every one our own guys.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Maybe I don't understand the objective of the prospects thread but I was not thinking that any individual player prospect discussion threads would be consolidated into one conglomerate. I would rather those threads continue. I was thinking it would be helpful to have a thread where information about players who are likely candidates of future draft classes could be found. I am always intrigued when posters on this board mention or link to overall NHL prospects who may be toiling in the minor leagues, college, juniors or even amateur ranks.

I know there are other places to go to find this information (prospect draft rankings, etc..) What interests me is what guys on this boards have to say about players they've seen, know or have learned about. (Especially the seen part.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad