Speculation: Is 2021 a re-tool or contend year

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Because you don't just give assets away for free? His value was probably pretty low. I'd rather keep him on the off chance he smartens up and turns it around instead of getting some 2nd round pick.

Because Borg hasn't earned shit? Are we going to be the kind of team where you have to earn your spot or are we going to keep giving underserving rookies coveted roster spots? If you think Trocheck sucked, and he did, then Borg is going to look a lot worse with worse wingers (no hoffman helping that 2nd line).

It's not that I'm against giving Borg his chance, but he has to earn it. He has shown nothing in the AHL that says to me he's read to be a 2C in the NHL. If we're experimenting, then it's a throwaway year and there's no point upgrading the rest of the roster.

What's more likely though?
Is Zito gonna be able to find a proven 2C in trade and bring in a another top 4 D through free agency? Maybe a guy like Dillion if we can pry him away on a inflated 2-3 year deal?

Just feel its more set up for a new GM to not go crazy and add two big moves as much as we want it to happen.
We can't add too much money this year or next with Barkov due, unless Yandle is moved for low return or Huberdeau is traded for one of those needs (2C/3LD).

Can we somehow add one of those things and still be competitive enough to land a playoff spot while losing both Hoffman and Dadonov? Id lean pretty far in the no category.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
What's more likely though?
Is Zito gonna be able to find a proven 2C in trade and bring in a another top 4 D through free agency? Maybe a guy like Dillion if we can pry him away on a inflated 2-3 year deal?

Just feel its more set up for a new GM to not go crazy and add two big moves as much as we want it to happen.
We can't add too much money this year or next with Barkov due, unless Yandle is moved for low return or Huberdeau is traded for one of those needs (2C/3LD).

Can we somehow add one of those things and still be competitive enough to land a playoff spot while losing both Hoffman and Dadonov? Id lean pretty far in the no category.

yeah I agree, and that's why I feel like unless Zito can pull off some slick moves like get rid of yandle, get us a 2C through trade, upgrade top-4 D, we're not going to be competitive and it makes more sense to retool or even rebuild.

But I'd also be surprised if Zito doesn't want us to at least be competitive in his first year, which means no way we go with Borg at 2C

Reactions: TheImpatientPanther

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Shattenkirk is an example of an older D who was going downhill but became resurrected in Tampa. He’s been playing fantastic, is checking and skating. And is pretty fast. Maatta’s name has been mentioned before, maybe Zito can find someone like that. A little under the radar maybe.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
yeah I agree, and that's why I feel like unless Zito can pull off some slick moves like get rid of yandle, get us a 2C through trade, upgrade top-4 D, we're not going to be competitive and it makes more sense to retool or even rebuild.

But I'd also be surprised if Zito doesn't want us to at least be competitive in his first year, which means no way we go with Borg at 2C
Yeah, I think Borg has to be competing for the 3C which is fair: I do think we forget that we kept him in the AHL to work on his defensive game, which implies to me that we re-adjusted expectations...

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Talking to the Vegas board, if they get Pietroanglo, Stastny might be available...that could solve our 2C problem :)

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada

Borg has done what they asked of him though. He beefed up from 185 to 200lbs and worked on his 2 way game.
I'd obviously prefer him at 3C to see how he does before gifting him that 2C role but if we trade for a Danault type with a year left, Borg would likely be going the other way anyhow.

Who would you target for 2C then?
Itd have to be trade because free agency is poop.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Is Stastny a 2C though? He’s on the older side now.
He was their 2C I think for the playoffs and was pacing above a .5PPG. Not a high-end 2C, but certainly much better than the other options frequently offered. Season before that was pacing for about 68pts.

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
The goal should be to make the playoffs next season. No “transition year” garbage - this franchise has had more than enough transition years.

Zito needs to have an A+ offseason and get it done. Barkov and Huberdeau aren’t getting younger

Reactions: Ratsreign

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Because Borg hasn't earned shit? Are we going to be the kind of team where you have to earn your spot or are we going to keep giving underserving rookies coveted roster spots? If you think Trocheck sucked, and he did, then Borg is going to look a lot worse with worse wingers (no hoffman helping that 2nd line).

It's not that I'm against giving Borg his chance, but he has to earn it. He has shown nothing in the AHL that says to me he's read to be a 2C in the NHL. If we're experimenting, then it's a throwaway year and there's no point upgrading the rest of the roster.
The UFA market for centres is shit and Florida isn't spending, and I have resigned myself to Florida being bad next year. Why not give a look.

Re: Bolded, I am not expecting that are you? I say this team's cursed because I don't have a logical explanation of why they're bad. I liked the team going into 2019 (I think most did) but they were inarguably a bad hockey team and I don't know why. That's also why I'm not opposed to moving anyone, it's not a lack of talent, something is clearly wrong organizationally.

Pigge

Feb 28, 2002
The UFA market for centres is shit and Florida isn't spending, and I have resigned myself to Florida being bad next year. Why not give a look.

Re: Bolded, I am not expecting that are you? I say this team's cursed because I don't have a logical explanation of why they're bad. I liked the team going into 2019 (I think most did) but they were inarguably a bad hockey team and I don't know why. That's also why I'm not opposed to moving anyone, it's not a lack of talent, something is clearly wrong organizationally.
I'd say that's very arguable. For large chunks of the season the offense was hard to beat and it looked like a playoff team. It's easy to forget and rewrite the narrative to fit the current mood.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle

Wrote about this in the other thread but giving Borg the 2C would be just a joke for this current core and probably make them want out if they don't already. Might as well throw in the towel at that point. I don't mind giving him a shot at a roster spot but he hasn't even shown he can be a 2C in the ahl let alone the nhl.

Pounce on teams in cap hell and get a stop gap until next year's FA market that has a lot more options available for 2C.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ratsreign

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Huh? Re-tool is happening no matter what. Did you mean Rebuild or contend?

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
The only way I see Krug coming here is if Yandle is out.

Even then, I don't know how interested I'd be. He's going to cost a lot and isn't what our blue line needs.

I'd be interested if Yandle is shipped out. He's better defensively than Yandle while scoring about the same amount of points.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
I'd be interested if Yandle is shipped out. He's better defensively than Yandle while scoring about the same amount of points.
So.... Krug for Yandle swap, FLA retains some on Yandle...

Except I doubt Bruins would do it. They’re looking to actually help their defense.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
So.... Krug for Yandle swap, FLA retains some on Yandle...

Except I doubt Bruins would do it. They’re looking to actually help their defense.

Only way I'd do it. If they swap but.. Yandle is not a Bruins type player would never happen.

Krug is not the type of DMan we need as long as Yandle is here.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Only way I'd do it. If they swap but.. Yandle is not a Bruins type player would never happen.

Krug is not the type of DMan we need as long as Yandle is here.

If Boston wants Yandle type they'll just keep Krug.

Boston needs better secondary scoring from F group and get better at 5on5, get someone they don't have to shelter like Krug.
So no Yandle.

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
If Boston wants Yandle type they'll just keep Krug.

Boston needs better secondary scoring from F group and get better at 5on5, get someone they don't have to shelter like Krug.
So no Yandle.

Krug would be signed for a higher cap hit and longer term. Yandle would be cheaper shorter term and create about the same amount of offense.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Krug would be signed for a higher cap hit and longer term. Yandle would be cheaper shorter term and create about the same amount of offense.

& Krug is 5 years younger.

Bostons cap is in the best shape I can remember, today and moving forward. If they wanted to re-signing him wouldn't be an issue.

They are just looking to get better 5on5 and it starts from letting Krug go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad