Speculation: Is 2021 a re-tool or contend year

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
We're paying our goalie $10 mill per year and still have high end guys on reasonable contracts....the next few seasons should be at least a wildcard spot.

Reactions: Ratsreign

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
Well we definitely aren’t “contending” this upcoming year. With a new gm in a decade it’ll be more of a retool as we shift more towards zito’s vision, but we could still make the playoffs depending on the additions/subtractions. We already dumped matheson, that along will help the defense a lot.

Crossbar

Apr 29, 2003
48" above the ice
Need to see what type of defensive system Zito/Q want to use moving forward, but otherwise just fill the roster with either speed or toughness. We've been mostly too slow and too soft.

Reactions: Ghoste

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Don't feel like we can answer this until we know what happens with Dadonov and Hoffman, plus any other potential signings.
Well the whole thing was Florida wasn't supposed to be spending right? Zito apparently spends smart? I like Hoff but his contract is gonna suck.

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida
Well the whole thing was Florida wasn't supposed to be spending right? Zito apparently spends smart? I like Hoff but his contract is gonna suck.

Probably not spending to the cap, but we still have almost $22 million in space.

Boyle and Haula likely won't be back. Pysyk is a maybe. The only RFA that might get a decent chunk of $ is Weegar.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Probably not spending to the cap, but we still have almost $22 million in space.

Boyle and Haula likely won't be back. Pysyk is a maybe. The only RFA that might get a decent chunk of $ is Weegar.
No one knows. We've heard a bunch of things. The consistent thing we heard from Zito is that the ownership is not a fan of not developing players and overpaying in free agency.

I interpret it as: we are willing to pay for smart money. Given what Lebrun reported about Hoffman and Dadonov, we know what we think they're worth and we will pay them; we are not asking for a discount from their value. We aren't willing to pay the extra premium that arises in free agency often.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
From today on its hard to tell.
I think all comes and go with how our own D Team looks an play. The same you can say to Goaltending.
Scoreing wasnt the problem for now 2-3 concistent Season. It was always the other Side.

But yes what will important. How Denisenko and Tippett find in there new Year. Also how stays who goes, seeing hoffman goes would hurt us. Same with Dadonov, but i cant tell you why. But something on Dadonovs Game seems off more lately and so look his points away from top line.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
A lot depends on if we can get a somewhat legit 2C. If we can't, then we're not going anywhere next season. I don't think Haula is that guy and don't even think someone likes borg would be competitive.

Reactions: SoupyFIN

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
I trust Zito is smart enough not to give over 30yo's term, it never works out. Losing Hoffman and Dadonov leaves a big hole in the line-up, but signing them for 5 years is a decision we'd regret by the second or third year.

2C is the only position where I'd spend UFA money (if someone gets bought out, the current market looks really bad) or picks. Wing help should come from inside with Denisenko and Tippett. D-men probably from within too, unless Yandle is traded (less likely IMO with Matheson gone).

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
I trust Zito is smart enough not to give over 30yo's term, it never works out. Losing Hoffman and Dadonov leaves a big hole in the line-up, but signing them for 5 years is a decision we'd regret by the second or third year.

2C is the only position where I'd spend UFA money (if someone gets bought out, the current market looks really bad) or picks. Wing help should come from inside with Denisenko and Tippett. D-men probably from within too, unless Yandle is traded (less likely IMO with Matheson gone).
I think if we get a 2C we'll be sending draft picks.

I wouldn't mind us signing a C/W along the lines of Haula or Galy. We won't do well with them as 2c, but could be good insurance for injuries. We then run Barky-2C-Borg/Saarela-Wallmark at center. If Borg or Saarela doesn't transiton, put Galy or Wallmark there and Acciari back at center.

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Trocheck really f***ed our center depth by turning into a bad hockey player and Dale Tallon f***ed us further by making the problem worse with his trade.

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
I think if we get a 2C we'll be sending draft picks.

It’s possible, but I’m sure Z will want to set the tone for his reign with this draft so he’ll want to keep the bullets. And we need a solid one. Can’t have another 2010.
Trocheck really f***ed our center depth by turning into a bad hockey player and Dale Tallon f***ed us further by making the problem worse with his trade.
Wish we still had Canner.

-ghoste

Reactions: letsgrowcactus

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
I would give Borgstrom the season at 2C. You need to know if he has any shot of turning it around and it's extremely unlikely he'll be as bad as Trocheck. 45 points in 82 games playing almost 20 minutes a night with powerplay 1 minutes while playing no defense with good linemates, he's not taking over for Gretzky. Well maybe the equivalent of Brent Gretzky.

Why bother spending this year and not give Borg a look? If you don't bring back Dadonov and Hoffman you're a non-playoff team, I don't like spending on July 1 (October 9?) when it's a non-contending season

Last edited:

Pigge

Feb 28, 2002
I would give Borgstrom the season at 2C. You need to know if he has any shot of turning it around and it's extremely unlikely he'll be as bad as Trocheck. 45 points in 82 games playing almost 20 minutes a night with powerplay 1 minutes while playing no defense with good linemates, he's not taking over for Gretzky. Well maybe the equivalent of Brent Gretzky.

Why bother spending this year and not give Borg a look? If you don't bring back Dadonov and Hoffman you're a non-playoff team, I don't like spending on July 1 (October 9?) when it's a non-contending season
If he ends up not being able to perform in that role, it could break his chances to ever succeed here. It's safer to give him another season in the AHL to prove that he is ready. If the NHL team is a non-playoff team, it's also more useful to make sure the AHL team is good so the prospects there can learn to win together and get some playoff experience.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
If he ends up not being able to perform in that role, it could break his chances to ever succeed here. It's safer to give him another season in the AHL to prove that he is ready. If the NHL team is a non-playoff team, it's also more useful to make sure the AHL team is good so the prospects there can learn to win together and get some playoff experience.

You force Borgstrom to the AHL again and he likely won't come back. It's time to see what he can do with the advice of working on his 2 way game this past season.
He's done what management asked, add some weight (185 to 200lbs) and was put in a defensive role against opponents top lines.

If he isnt tried at C, at least let him play middle 6 LW as his playmaking/offense is still needed with the potential loss of both Hoff and Dadonov

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
If we're going with borg at 2C then we're going to be a bottom 5 team guaranteed.

Our 2nd line would be borg flanked by some combination of vatrano, conn, tippett, deni?? That is awful. I can see Zito going for a competitive retool, but going with 2C borg is a bottom feeder move.

Reactions: ProjectPanthers

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
If we're going with borg at 2C then we're going to be a bottom 5 team guaranteed.

Our 2nd line would be borg flanked by some combination of vatrano, conn, tippett, deni?? That is awful. I can see Zito going for a competitive retool, but going with 2C borg is a bottom feeder move.

If they aren't going to try him at 2C then why didn't they trade him a year ago already when Q wanted something else instead? Tallon wasn't exactly the guy rooting for him in the front office because he always referred to him as "Bjorkstrom".

Reactions: ucanthanzalthetruth

sinDer

Nov 22, 2006
Drummondville, QC

I agree

There is no way we start the season with Borg as our 2nd C.

What has the kid done? Seriously. At 22 years old, he couldn’t manage to be more than average in the AHL...

Reactions: ProjectPanthers

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013

Trocheck sucked though. The reason Florida would be bad was due to those wings you mentioned. I am not really understanding why Borg shouldn't get a shot, it's his last NHL chance probably and he's taking over for a bad player so there's zero pressure.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
If they aren't going to try him at 2C then why didn't they trade him a year ago already when Q wanted something else instead? Tallon wasn't exactly the guy rooting for him in the front office because he always referred to him as "Bjorkstrom".

Because you don't just give assets away for free? His value was probably pretty low. I'd rather keep him on the off chance he smartens up and turns it around instead of getting some 2nd round pick.

Trocheck sucked though. The reason Florida would be bad was due to those wings you mentioned. I am not really understanding why Borg shouldn't get a shot, it's his last NHL chance probably and he's taking over for a bad player so there's zero pressure.

Because Borg hasn't earned shit? Are we going to be the kind of team where you have to earn your spot or are we going to keep giving underserving rookies coveted roster spots? If you think Trocheck sucked, and he did, then Borg is going to look a lot worse with worse wingers (no hoffman helping that 2nd line).

It's not that I'm against giving Borg his chance, but he has to earn it. He has shown nothing in the AHL that says to me he's read to be a 2C in the NHL. If we're experimenting, then it's a throwaway year and there's no point upgrading the rest of the roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad