Speculation: Is 2021 a re-tool or contend year

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Obviously the Matheson trade is terrific but Hornqvist (while I like him, everyone here will, stands in front of the net, throws hits, has that snarl this team needs) is a significant downgrade on either Dadonov or Hoffman. I think (despite Zito's comments) Florida will not be spending anywhere near the cap, so I'm just wondering what the plan is for this off-season. Honestly there would be enough money to sign them both and bring in a Boro type dman but again big spending doesn't seem to be the theme this year. Anyone have a guess as to what the plan is?

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Re-t0ol tender I think. The goal is to be like CBJ this season: contend for the playoffs and see what happens. Even if we spend to the cap, we need to be fill a few big spots (one top 6 winger, our 2C and ideally some defensive upgrade). I do think Zito is targeting trades and is willing to spend for smart value, but we won't see a repeat of last off-season where Bob and Stralman got very fortunate deals. (Now Acciari was a steal in hindsight...but it's a problem when he has more goals than Connolly who got a much larger and bigger contract)

The big determinant of next season is Bob tbh. If Q can devise the right defense for him and his confidence is back, we can be dangerous.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I won't even venture a guess as to what the exact plan is, let's wait until the draft and first couple days of free agency. Then we'll know. But I think this is a re-tool year by default, unless we can somehow get a legit top 6 center.

Crossbar

Apr 29, 2003
48" above the ice
Do you mean rebuild, like trading away core players such as Barky/Huby and/or tanking? Because I feel you can retool a team (replace non-core pieces) and still fight for the playoffs at the same time, which is probably what I would prefer.

Reactions: ScottyMascotty

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
I think we are re-tooling. We have a lot of pieces you need for a rebuild, we just haven't surrounded those pieces with the right people.

It would be silly to start over completely. I'm not against trading any of the big guys if the right package comes along, but I hope we can have one of those quick re-tools that leads to success ala some other teams like the Canes and the Stars.

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
Probably a re-tool, but with the way Zito has started out, he could turn us into a contender.

It’s nice to finally have someone competent as GM

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Re-tool.

Some prospects (Tippett/Borg/Saarela/Denisenko/Gildon/Ludvig) should crack the lineup, the latter three are longshots though. Deni may gey his feet wet in AHL but should be up after 20 games imo.

As much as we want some big trades/free agent signings, it's doubtful unless more money is pushed out.

We may take in UFAs to be, see if they fit and want to stay if they impress enough. If were out by game 40 then you retain on them and flip them for assets.

Would love to weaponize our cap space, Saad would be a great add depending on cost. If we take full cap and don't send any money back, the cost should be lower.

We could pay a 2nd + 3rd for him and flip that to a late 1st from a contender at trade deadline.

Or take smaller cap dumpa for 2021 picks.

Pumped to see the prospects get a shot in the next few years, Zito seems to believe in developing your own picks, just need the AHL to be competitive.
Hire a new coach, Kinnear should be let go.

1) Get a feel for what Barkov wants on new deal near end of this year. Make sure his deal is the big focus in 2021 off season.

2) See if Huberdeau wants to stay long term, if not you shop him at deadline/off season with 2 or 2.25 years left. (Should net us a 2021 1st + C or D with really good potential)

3) Plan to compete in 2021-22 after two the next two drafts. 12th and another top 10ish pick would be great. Focus on C, D and LW.

4) Once Barkov is locked up, the 2022-24 1sts should be made available to move for immediate help.

5) One decent free agent signing in 2021 or 2022 if Huberdeau is moved.
One decent trade as well. Either should be for a top 6 C or top 4 D

Last edited:

Pigge

Feb 28, 2002
Getting Hornqvist should be a step towards making the team more playoff ready, but it's not ready enough to actually be a contender to the point where it would make sense to give up future for this season. Winning a playoff series as a step to being a contender in a few years should be the goal.

GigaChad

Oct 9, 2013
Defense.
Try to sign 2 stay at home Dman who know how to D and I think the biggest problem is solved.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
It's too early to know and there's no reason he's going to try to make some small tweaks which you might consider a "retool" because the goal is always to build a contender. Given where our core is age wise, you wouldn't write this season off to retool unless you can't make it good enough.

It's going to come down to can Zito move out guys like Connolly and Stralman and acquire better players? If we get rid of those contracts, only Bob is on a bad deal. Our cap situation looks so much better with Matheson gone. Lots of flexibility to make things happen plus we have some prospects he can move and I'm sure there will be some teams in cap hell or needing to cut salary.

I can't believe Stralman got three years at 5.5M. Tallon is the world's worst negotiator.

ProjectPanthers

Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
It's too early to know and there's no reason he's going to try to make some small tweaks which you might consider a "retool" because the goal is always to build a contender. Given where our core is age wise, you wouldn't write this season off to retool unless you can't make it good enough.

It's going to come down to can Zito move out guys like Connolly and Stralman and acquire better players? If we get rid of those contracts, only Bob is on a bad deal. Our cap situation looks so much better with Matheson gone. Lots of flexibility to make things happen plus we have some prospects he can move and I'm sure there will be some teams in cap hell or needing to cut salary.

I can't believe Stralman got three years at 5.5M. Tallon is the world's worst negotiator.
Stralman contract is rough, I agree, but I think Connolly should stay.

If he can contribute 20 goals a season he is just fine. He's never going to be a strong skater or good back checker, but he has a good shot and is decent on a PP2 unit as well.

For $3.5 Million he's not expensive enough that it hurts, and with 6 forwards currently signed for next season (including Connolly), I think you hold on to him.

Trust me, I disliked the guy as much as anyone during the "playoff" games, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have a spot on the 3rd line as a depth offensive threat. You won't find too many 20 goal scorers in free agency for under $3.5 million.

Plus, if you're trading Stralman, trading Connolly in the same off-season is a bit of a bad look and may turn others away from signing here if they expect more turnover.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver

How bad was last years UFA! It's almost like Tallon was like this my last chance to roll the dice, so might as well splurge away all the money! Some people already wanting to get rid of Stralman, Connolly, and of course Bob. I thought at the time, that Bob and Stralman were given way too much. So much for that Florida tax advantage!

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Stralman contract is rough, I agree, but I think Connolly should stay.

If he can contribute 20 goals a season he is just fine. He's never going to be a strong skater or good back checker, but he has a good shot and is decent on a PP2 unit as well.

For $3.5 Million he's not expensive enough that it hurts, and with 6 forwards currently signed for next season (including Connolly), I think you hold on to him.

Trust me, I disliked the guy as much as anyone during the "playoff" games, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have a spot on the 3rd line as a depth offensive threat. You won't find too many 20 goal scorers in free agency for under $3.5 million.

Plus, if you're trading Stralman, trading Connolly in the same off-season is a bit of a bad look and may turn others away from signing here if they expect more turnover.
I think Connoly's style of play is exactly what we don't need. He's got zero grit and is invisible if he's not scoring.

I don't think anyone is going to be turn off in free agency because money talks. More likely to be turned off to signing with a perennial loser.

Reactions: KW

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
How bad was last years UFA! It's almost like Tallon was like this my last chance to roll the dice, so might as well splurge away all the money! Some people already wanting to get rid of Stralman, Connolly, and of course Bob. I thought at the time, that Bob and Stralman were given way too much. So much for that Florida tax advantage!
yup, bad incentives for Tallon to go all in last year. He had no reason to make it work long term because long term didn't matter for him if things didn't work out.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida
Don't feel like we can answer this until we know what happens with Dadonov and Hoffman, plus any other potential signings.

ProjectPanthers

Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
I think Connoly's style of play is exactly what we don't need. He's got zero grit and is invisible if he's not scoring.

I don't think anyone is going to be turn off in free agency because money talks. More likely to be turned off to signing with a perennial loser.
I agree he has zero grit but I don't see this team suddenly being like Dallas and just hitting everything in sight.

I see them trying to emulate the Cup winning Caps teams, with more skill and ability offensively, with physical play and strong defense on the back end. Funnily, Connolly was part of that team.

I just don't think tossing 20 goals away is a smart move unless they have a plan to get those goals back elsewhere.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013

I agree but his contract is fine and he's a good player, you could move him if you want. 20 goal scorer that's 28 and making 3.5 million is not comparable to Stralman lol.

Ownership sucks, but we know this. Tallon knew his contract was up and he was finished if they didn't have a good year, of course he'd go all in.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
I agree but his contract is fine and he's a good player, you could move him if you want. 20 goal scorer that's 28 and making 3.5 million is not comparable to Stralman lol.
I'm not comparing them. I'm saying Stralman isn't worth his money and Connoly is not the type of player we need. If Connoly has value and our GM is smart, we can make a good trade to improve the team.

Reactions: ucanthanzalthetruth

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
To be snide, our attempts at re-tooling and being a contender always end up with us picking 10th-15th btw...so redundant question

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
To be snide, our attempts at re-tooling and being a contender always end up with us picking 10th-15th btw...so redundant question

I'm not sure exactly where this notion of "retooling" or "becoming a contender" comes from when this team can't sustain no more than couple of months of competitive spirit alive before their golf season starts. If someone thinks that Barkov and Hubs hitting a ppg pace or sumptin' like that means that the rebuild is over then ya'll have a rather contrived concept of the rebuilding process.

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
I’d like to get Simmonds to get a little tougher. And I don’t think he’ll still be in the $5 million dollar range.

-ghoste

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad