Is 1st in the East possible?

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
Eight games to go, and five points back of first place Pittsburgh with a game in hand. We play the Penguins on the 17th and that could be a huge win! Should les boys win the game in hand, then beat Pittsburgh; which would be like a 4 point game, we would be just one point behind!

So, can the Habs finish 1st in the East this year?

Also, Montreal is a point ahead of Boston; both have played 40 games and have 26 wins, so what would the tie breaker be IF both teams finish with equal points? Goals for? (MTL: 127, BOS: 114) or goal differential? (MTL: +12, BOS: +27) or something else?

PuckNorris

Mar 11, 2008
Montreal
Tiebreaker goes: ROW, head to head, differential. All of which we own.

First would be improbable. It would take a major slide by Pitt. Hard to make up 5 pts in only 8 games.

fsdev905

Dec 22, 2006
Toronto
Montreal has to beat Pittsburgh and hope for Boston and Ottawa to beat them too (without Crosby I think they will). Then the rest of the season just have a better record than the Pens.

fsdev905

Dec 22, 2006
Toronto
If Montreal wins their remaining games and Pittsburgh loses to Montreal and Boston, but wins the rest of their games.

Montreal is 1st place.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Forget about first.

2nd place is achievable, but apparently boston has the easier schedule. Seems like I've been saying that alot this season... hmmm

PuckNorris

Mar 11, 2008
Montreal
Lets just win our division

Exactly. 1st or 2nd is irrelevant. Winning the division and finishing 2nd would be a huge coup. We'd have home ice until at least the 3rd round and avoid the Penguins until then. We'd also avoid the tough opening round matchup vs Toronto. A less physical Islanders or Rangers team would be better opponents.

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
Exactly. 1st or 2nd is irrelevant. Winning the division and finishing 2nd would be a huge coup. We'd have home ice until at least the 3rd round and avoid the Penguins until then. We'd also avoid the tough opening round matchup vs Toronto. A less physical Islanders or Rangers team would be better opponents.

Actually, the team I want to face the least is the Islanders! Seems we can't catch a break against them this year... but the fact that they're not very physical is huge, too. Might make it less likely to pick up injuries. Same for Ottawa. (Edit: I mean that we have a rough time against the Senators this year)

The Rangers seem to be a much more focused team since trade deadline but I think if we can shut down Rick Nash, we can beat them.

Last edited:

25get

Nov 15, 2012
Montreal
9%...
So possible, of course, probable not really.
If we win against them on april 17th and Boston wins also against them, then it is possible...
Everything is possible, even Florida can win against them tomorrow.
But they look very solid right now.

Let's not forget all the players added: Iginla, Morrow, Murray and Jokinen (who exploded with them).

We have better chances to finish first in our division (47%).

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Forget about first.

2nd place is achievable, but apparently boston has the easier schedule. Seems like I've been saying that alot this season... hmmm

How is their schedule easier than ours? Just because we have one back-to-back? Aside from that we play more non-playoff teams than them during this last stretch and overall we've played the same teams the same amount of times...I don't get what point you've been trying to repeatedly make all throughout the season :dunno:

fsdev905

Dec 22, 2006
Toronto
The chance if it is not as bad as everyone thinks. They have a head to head and play Boston. If no Crosby, two losses.

The remaining games, Montreal just needs get more points than Pittsburgh.

What may end up happening is Boston passing Montreal and Pittsburgh for first.

Pittsburgh playing Islanders in the first round and knocking them out. Montreal plays Ottawa or Toronto as the 4-5 match up.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Pittsburgh would have to stumble. Even though the odds are 9% or whatever, it's not unheard of for a team to stubmle a little after a massive winning streak like Chicago and Anaheim for example. Same with Boston and Montreal.

If Pittsburgh stumbles than we have a shot, if not I'd be just as happy beating Boston for tops in the division.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->