Ironmen of the NHL

Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
Johnny Edward Wilson -Johnny Wilson established himself as an extremely durable foot soldier who, over the course of 580 consecutive games played between 1952 and 1961, earned the nickname "Ironman

Andy Hebenton -Before Doug Jarvis, Andy Hebenton was the Iron Man of the NHL. Including lengthy stints in the minors, he played 26 professional seasons from 1949-1975. When he finally cracked the New York Rangers lineup in 1955, he embarked on a remarkable string of 630 straight regular season games.
Jarvis -was one of the best defensive pivots in the NHL. He also managed to avoid the injury bug and set the league's "ironman" record by appearing in an incredible 964 straight regular season games from 1975 to 1987.

all quotes from legends of hockey.
http://www.legendsofhockey.net

Can anyone name other players who have played at least 500 + games in a row!

Stonefly

Jan 29, 2007
Steve Larmer. 884 games. Interrupted by a contract dispute with Chicago I believe.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
Craig Ramsay had one that was 776 games.

Alex Delvecchio, John Marks, Billy Harris (the Islander) and Craig MacTavish all had streaks over 500 games.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Murray Murdoch (only played 44 & 48 game seasons)with 508 held the record before Wilson. Gary Unger had 914 & was the ironman before Jarvis.

Murdoch's streak is absolutely amazing. I mean... He just NEVER missed a game in 11 seasons at a time where the game was pretty tough. His style led him to shadow guys like Eddie Shore and Nels Stewart, which made him pretty much a target. It helped him that he was a pretty big man for his era, and while not necessarily the biggest player, I think he would have been unlikely to have such a streak if had the built of, let's say, Johnny Gagnon.

captain AARON MAIDEN*

why do you say this

due to personal reasons had his ironman streak of 305 games end....had the 4th longest active streak for playing in consecutive games in the NHL.

BTW..all time most consecutive games played
Doug Jarvis - 964games
Garry Unger - 914
Steve Larmer - 884
Craig Ramsay - 776
Andy Hebenton - 630

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
Wasn't Cory Sarich on a huge iron man streak (400+ games) before the Flames made him a healthy scratch?

That was this past year, and it was kind of a funny scenario.

First, Karlis Skrastins' streak of 400+ ended because of an injury. Brendan Morrison, who was something like nine games behind him, took over and surpassed him.

Then, Morrison decided to stop neglecting all his amassing injuries and go in for surgery. Sarich became the active leader with almost 300 I believe.

Then Keenan wanted to crush his soul so he benched Sarich just to be an *******.

I don't know who the current holder of the streak is.

Ofuzz

Jul 11, 2006
I think Gary Unger's 914 games straight is the most amazing being that he spent the majority of that time as a first or second line player (he had over 400 goals). Surely he must have been a target of the opposition, especially in the so called goon era of the 70's.

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa
I don't know who the current holder of the streak is.
That's actually what I came in here to find out....

I remember Morrison's streak ending fairly recently, beyond that I have no idea.

Just looking at a few guys from the leading scorers list and found that Brunette's got a 5+ season streak going, which is 410+ games. His name rings a bell, actually.

Can anyone confirm?

Edit: It is Brunette, with 453
http://post-gazette.screamingsports.com/en/fantasy/view_newsbreaker.aspx?n=28548&s=9003
Google is my friend!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad