OT: Iron Chef HFNYR (Recipes/Game Meal or Snack Pics)

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Guys don't get me started with grilled PB&J's!!

giphy.gif

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
YES Please!!

1 can coconut milk
1 jalapeno
1-3 cloves garlic (ur preference)
1 piece fresh ginger (size ur preference) peeled
4-6 ears corn
1 lime
2-3 scallions sliced
cilantro ( 1/2 cup chopped)
1 tbs butter
salt pepper to taste

Pour can of coconut milk in a pot, set heat for med low/low (careful not to scald or over boil) and peel the garlic clove(s) and ginger and steep in milk for an hour.

Shuck and clean the ears of corn... completely dry and rub with butter, dash of salt and pepper and grill on high heat so the kernels are slightly charred (my grill gets very hot so I watch them constantly and don't close lid).

Remove from heat until you can handle them. With knife shave the kernels off and then use the back of knife (dull edge of blade) to scrape the pulp out of the cob.

Fish out the ginger from the milk (and the garlic if you desire, I leave it). Add the corn and pulp to the milk and stir every few mins. The pulp should help thicken the mixture but if needed you can use a roux or slurry to get to desired consistency.

Clean and chop the cilantro and set aside. (I don't use the stems, just leaves... pain in the arse lol)
" the scallion
" Jalapeno (if you remove the seeds and veins its not as hot, leaving either will give it some kick)
Slice the lime into wedges

After reaching desired consistency (if too thick you can add butter, milk whatever to thin a bit) add the scallion, jalapeno and cilantro. Serve with lime wedge.

If you have guests they can add the ingredients themselves to customize to each desire.

Bon Appetite!

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I do too but I don't expect everyone to feel that way LOL

Same with cilantro... my sis absolutely can't stand it and I LOVE IT

Cilantro is a bit different. Some people are genetically pre-dispositioned to dislike cilantro. To them it tastes like soap.

But yeah, I do love spicy. And when I say spicy, I don't mean your local bar Hot Wings. I mean real spice.

Reactions: egelband

FJB

Jun 30, 2009
I didn't realize this thread existed, so I didn't have pics, but this afternoon, I put some knockwursts in a crockpot with sauerkraut and some garlic and then dinner came and mmmmmm

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
I didn't realize this thread existed, so I didn't have pics, but this afternoon, I put some knockwursts in a crockpot with sauerkraut and some garlic and then dinner came and mmmmmm

Pics or it doesn’t count!

Reactions: NYR

lemonybergamot

Jun 2, 2018
New York City
Damn, don't really have pics, but I have been using the Instant Pot for nearly everything. It's amazing. I wish I had this during undergrad. I love to buy salmon (fresh or frozen) and it cooks in 5 minutes. Barely any mess and easy to wash one pot.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
I shouldn't be sharing my secrets with you dirty hamsters lol but try this Salmon recipe.
You can thank me later ;)

This isn't for a pressure cooker!

Panko-Crusted Salmon
Ingredients
2/3 cup panko (Japanese dried bread flakes)
2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons good olive oil
Four 6- to 8-ounce salmon fillets, skin on
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Lemon wedges, for serving
Directions
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
In a small bowl, mix together the panko, parsley, lemon zest, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Drizzle with the olive oil and stir until the crumbs are evenly coated. Set aside.
Place the salmon fillets, skin side down, on a board. Generously brush the top of the fillets with mustard and then sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Press the panko mixture thickly on top of the mustard on each salmon fillet. The mustard will help the panko adhere.
Heat the vegetable oil over medium-high heat in a 12-inch cast-iron skillet or large heavy, ovenproof pan. When the oil is very hot, add the salmon fillets, skin side down, and sear for 3 to 4 minutes, without turning, to brown the skin.
Transfer the pan to the hot oven for 5 to 7 minutes until the salmon is almost cooked and the panko is browned. Remove from the oven, cover with aluminum foil, and allow to rest for 5 to 10 minutes. Serve the salmon hot or at room temperature with lemon wedges

Buon Appetito!

Last edited:

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
Damn, don't really have pics, but I have been using the Instant Pot for nearly everything. It's amazing. I wish I had this during undergrad. I love to buy salmon (fresh or frozen) and it cooks in 5 minutes. Barely any mess and easy to wash one pot.

Here's a good one for an instant pot, Chicken Pozole:

Ingredients:

• 2 lb. (1 kg) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
    Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
    2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
    1 yellow onion, diced
    4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
    1-2 jalapeños, seeded and finely chopped
    1 tsp. dried oregano
    1 tsp. ground cumin
    1 can (25 oz./780 g) hominy, drained and rinsed
    4 cups (32 fl. oz./1 l) chicken broth
    6 tomatillos, husks removed, rinsed and coarsely chopped
    Juice of 1 lime
Season the chicken breasts generously on both sides with salt and pepper. In an Instant Pot set to “sauté,” warm the olive oil. In batches, sear the chicken, turning once, until golden brown, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer the chicken to a plate.

Add the onion to the pot and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender and translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic, chile, oregano, cumin, 1 tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp. pepper and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the hominy, broth and tomatillos to the pot and stir to combine. Return the chicken to the pot.

Cover the pot with the lid, lock the lid into place and turn the valve to “sealing.” Set the Instant Pot to cook at high pressure for 20 minutes.

When the pressure cooking is complete, turn the valve to “venting” to manually release the steam. When the steam stops, carefully remove the lid and transfer the chicken to a large bowl. Use 2 forks to shred the chicken into bite-size pieces. Return the chicken to the pot, add the lime juice and stir to mix. Season with salt and pepper.

Serve in bowls with tortillas on the side. Garnish with any or all of chopped cilantro, sliced avocado, sliced radishes, and lime wedges

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Last weekend I made an absolutely divine Panang curry.

Was hoping to cook something fun this weekend but I think I am coming down with the flu (despite getting a flu shot) so... :dunno:

Attachments

• E2DF2851-E92A-47C6-B3D5-D3F05AD3BE38.jpeg
    E2DF2851-E92A-47C6-B3D5-D3F05AD3BE38.jpeg
    315.8 KB · Views: 5

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Oh here are some other things - Red curry, Italian style hot peppers with sausage, homemade ramen and a low country boil we did at my house.

The ramen (surprisingly) was one of the more difficult things I have attempted. Especially the seasoned egg.

Attachments

• 561BDA90-B9F6-422A-976A-FA6A6F80BC1D.jpeg
    561BDA90-B9F6-422A-976A-FA6A6F80BC1D.jpeg
    304.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 35B8D1EC-F337-4AF9-B4C7-CEF2C87F1D00.jpeg
    35B8D1EC-F337-4AF9-B4C7-CEF2C87F1D00.jpeg
    188.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 9B06C51E-B973-4B2B-B92D-81A0B905EA92.jpeg
    9B06C51E-B973-4B2B-B92D-81A0B905EA92.jpeg
    170.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 20108FA4-CBFB-47E6-B01D-28BD83986CC5.jpeg
    20108FA4-CBFB-47E6-B01D-28BD83986CC5.jpeg