Ireland denied players from the north

magellan91

Jan 27, 2011
Despite a letter of support from the British Hockey Assn. Ireland was denied the use of Northern Irealand's players for both the Women's Division V World Championship in Bulgaria and the U18 for Men in Mexico. Northern Ireland is part of the United Kingdom, but the Irish Constitution allows nationality to citizens of the north and south. The particular difficulty for both teams is the use of these players for years--who voluntarily transferred to the Irish Assn. and have been a large part of both teams qualifying.

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
Did the IIHF deny it? If it was I'm impressed they'd manage to do what FIFA didn't (the Darron Gibson saga) and actually prevent this sort of thing.

Owen Nolan hasn't played for Canada in over four years, he should put in his international transfer request to stir up some sympathy if rejected. :sarcasm:

billycanuck

Despite a letter of support from the British Hockey Assn. Ireland was denied the use of Northern Irealand's players for both the Women's Division V World Championship in Bulgaria and the U18 for Men in Mexico. Northern Ireland is part of the United Kingdom, but the Irish Constitution allows nationality to citizens of the north and south. The particular difficulty for both teams is the use of these players for years--who voluntarily transferred to the Irish Assn. and have been a large part of both teams qualifying.

I believe this issue has to do with IIHF International Transfer Cards, correct? Since Northern Ireland falls under the IIHF jurisdiction of British Ice Hockey, and Ireland falls under the jurisdiction of the Ireland Ice Hockey Association, proper ITC's are required for playing? And Ireland has been using Northern Ireland players without proper ITC's in the past and the IIHF said 'no more'. There is also the issue that Ireland has NO RINK to play in after the Dundalk rink is being liquidated soon and the only rink is located in Belfast, Northern Ireland.

It is quite a mess over there and the IIHA seems to be making matters worse.

jekoh

Jun 8, 2004
Did the IIHF deny it? If it was I'm impressed they'd manage to do what FIFA didn't (the Darron Gibson saga) and actually prevent this sort of thing.

Owen Nolan hasn't played for Canada in over four years, he should put in his international transfer request to stir up some sympathy if rejected. :sarcasm:
Not playing for Canada is not nearly enough, he needs to actually play in Ireland or Britain for 4 years before he's eligible for either team.

The same is true for the players who were banned, if they have never played in the Republic of Ireland, they should have no place in that country's national team.

(although reading billycanuck's post it would appear there are other reasons explaining the ban)

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
It seems as though Irish hockey messed up when they didn't try to do what rugby has done for a hundred years and compete as an island under one federation instead of having the split (The IRFU is the governing body for the whole island, not just the Republic). Obviously politics (both national as well as IIHF politics) makes that much easier said than done.

billycanuck

It seems as though Irish hockey messed up when they didn't try to do what rugby has done for a hundred years and compete as an island under one federation instead of having the split (The IRFU is the governing body for the whole island, not just the Republic). Obviously politics (both national as well as IIHF politics) makes that much easier said than done.

This would be a good idea and wish it was started, but I think the damage is done for now. Something needs to be change!

This is what I know about the situation, correct me if I am wrong:
Northern Ireland (NI) players can get a Ireland passport if they claim Irish citizenship, then they must sign with the Ireland Ice Hockey Association (IIHA) and play 2 years in the Irish Hockey League to qualify for the national team. British Ice Hockey has recommeded players to do this, since they are on the island of Ireland, making travel easier and building up the IIHA. However, it seems the IIHA has messed up and was telling players from NI they do not need the ITC's and just come over and play.

This would be the same if a NI player who declared Irish citizenship, signed an ITC to play in Ireland, BUT decided they wanted to play for the Team Britain instead. That player would have to get their UK passport, then get an ITC to play in Wales, England, Scotland for 2 years, then will become eligible for Team Britain. You can see how this is a mess.

Well, now comes the truly messed up part, the IIHA sat on its hands while the ONLY rink in Ireland closed up shop! So how can a player from NI play in Ireland for 2 years when there is no rink in Ireland?? :( Team Ireland can't even find practice time.

There is a long list forming of complaints against the IIHA, some far fetched, but some seem credible. Even rumours of a suit against the IIHA by some disgruntled NI players and parents because the IIHA took registration money and now this issue is arising.

Can't say I have heard too many good things about the IIHA and it seems like things are coming to a head soon.

I hope the situation can get resolved soon. Hockey was just starting to grow there, terrible thing like this to happen!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->