Invites for Canadian National Junior Summer Evaluation Camp in August

Status
Not open for further replies.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
stockwizard said:
The only way I can't see Crosby being put on the number one line is if Bergeron, Burns and Horton came to play. I would have them out #1, and Crosby out #2.

Otherwise I would give Crosby the reigns and tell him to run with it.

ummmm....how about if the line of Carter, Stewart and Dawes returns??? That line was unstoppable last year and could be even better this coming tourney! The would be line #1 and Crosby and co. possibly line #1a. Also don't forget the line of Mike Richards and co.

The 1985 group of players for Canada is unbelievable and when they are all together they are dominating. In the past they have won everything for Canada. They only slight question mark would be goaltending. Just think what it would mean to add a Horton or a Bergeron.

stockwizard*

HabLover said:
ummmm....how about if the line of Carter, Stewart and Dawes returns??? That line was unstoppable last year and could be even better this coming tourney! The would be line #1 and Crosby and co. possibly line #1a. Also don't forget the line of Mike Richards and co.

The 1985 group of players for Canada is unbelievable and when they are all together they are dominating. In the past they have won everything for Canada. They only slight question mark would be goaltending. Just think what it would mean to add a Horton or a Bergeron.
No doubt they could have 3 number one lines with the talent. This roster should really dominate.
Personally I would put Horton and Bergeron out first. Then you could either have Crosby and Roussin, or Carter, Stewart Dawes.

This team is going to be so deep you really can't loose.
Regardless Crosby should have much more playing time this year than last and be on the powerplay again.

Last year I thought Crosby played just as well as some of the bigger names but the lack of playing time and lack of chemistry with his linemates hurt his stats.

He will still easily be the youngest person on the team.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
stockwizard said:
No doubt they could have 3 number one lines with the talent. This roster should really dominate.
Personally I would put Horton and Bergeron out first. Then you could either have Crosby and Roussin, or Carter, Stewart Dawes.

This team is going to be so deep you really can't loose.
Regardless Crosby should have much more playing time this year than last and be on the powerplay again.

Last year I thought Crosby played just as well as some of the bigger names but the lack of playing time and lack of chemistry with his linemates hurt his stats.

He will still easily be the youngest person on the team.

Unbelievable how good those guys could be. The NHL could tie up a few but some 85's from last years team could find themselves greatly improved, have a good camp or camps and still not make the team!

Scooter2

Feb 2, 2004
List

Were did this list come from, is this a wish list or are these players been invited.

cdnhky1

May 16, 2002
Visit site
This is not the actual list. This is Hablover's predictions of who should be invited, although I think most of the players on the list will be invited. The official selection camp rosters for the national junior team and u-18 team have not been released by Canadian Hockey, although it should be any day now. Last year the national junior summer camp roster was released on June 10, with the u-18 roster just a few days later.

I think it's a given that Canada will have access to all of it's players for the first time in a long time. There is going to be a lockout and it will last beyond Christmas which will allow Canada to keep all of its remaining players from last season and add Horton, Bergeron and Burns.

As far as the goaltending is concerned, it is the only real question mark on the team, although it's still pretty good. I think the two guys who will end up making the team will be Corey Crawford and Kevin Nastiuk. Crawford had a very strong season with Moncton and Nastiuk has won gold at the u-18 level in the past and carried his team to the WHL championship and Mem Cup this year.

With regard to the defence, I think this could be the first time that all 7 of Canada's dmen came from the WHL. Obviously the big four of Phaneuf, Coburn, Seabrook and Belle will be back. I think the next three to make the team will be Mike Green, Shea Weber and Cam Barker.

Up front is where it really gets difficult because there is so much depth of talent. Carter, Stewart, Dawes, Getzlaff, Richards, Colliton, Dixon and Crosby will all return. Will Horton, Bergeron and Burns added to the lineup that leaves just 2 forward spots remaining. I think both will go to 85' born players with Pouliot being a favourite to lock up one spot (I think he would have made the team last year if not for injury). The other spot should go to one of Bernier, Perry, Picard, Ladd, or the wild card of the group, Gilbert Brule.

ellargo4

Jun 12, 2004
In regards to the Canada list, I'd just like to see Crosby get the first line time he deserves. Even as a rookie last year, he could have played on the first. He's the most explosive player in the game, and when he explodes to the net it's a sure goal!

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
HabLover said:

The line was actually Stewart-Richards-Dawes.

RoyIsALegend*

Anyone want to take a stab at possible lines?

I'll do the defence...

Phaneuf - Seabrooke
Coburn - Barker
Belle - Weber
Bissonette

I don't like the goalies, personally.

RyanM

May 2, 2002
Sydney
cdnhky1 said:
This is not the actual list. This is Hablover's predictions of who should be invited, although I think most of the players on the list will be invited. The official selection camp rosters for the national junior team and u-18 team have not been released by Canadian Hockey, although it should be any day now. Last year the national junior summer camp roster was released on June 10, with the u-18 roster just a few days later.

I think it's a given that Canada will have access to all of it's players for the first time in a long time. There is going to be a lockout and it will last beyond Christmas which will allow Canada to keep all of its remaining players from last season and add Horton, Bergeron and Burns.

As far as the goaltending is concerned, it is the only real question mark on the team, although it's still pretty good. I think the two guys who will end up making the team will be Corey Crawford and Kevin Nastiuk. Crawford had a very strong season with Moncton and Nastiuk has won gold at the u-18 level in the past and carried his team to the WHL championship and Mem Cup this year.

With regard to the defence, I think this could be the first time that all 7 of Canada's dmen came from the WHL. Obviously the big four of Phaneuf, Coburn, Seabrook and Belle will be back. I think the next three to make the team will be Mike Green, Shea Weber and Cam Barker.

Up front is where it really gets difficult because there is so much depth of talent. Carter, Stewart, Dawes, Getzlaff, Richards, Colliton, Dixon and Crosby will all return. Will Horton, Bergeron and Burns added to the lineup that leaves just 2 forward spots remaining. I think both will go to 85' born players with Pouliot being a favourite to lock up one spot (I think he would have made the team last year if not for injury). The other spot should go to one of Bernier, Perry, Picard, Ladd, or the wild card of the group, Gilbert Brule.

Crawford is too old to be a goalie on the team. The Q does not have many top notch 85 or 86 goaltenders. I would not be suprised to see both goalies come from the the other leagues unless Houle(or someone else) gets an invite and steals a spot.

WesternEliteHockeyPr

Mar 5, 2003
Visit site
What about Mike Green

Why does he get overlooked all of the time. In my opinion and in many others he is just as good if not better than Belle or Coburn. He WILL be on the World Junior Teams defense.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
cdnhky1 said:

Crawford is a 1984 born. Too old.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
HabLover said:
It won't be the same team if Canada loses Phaneuf, Coburn, Stewart, Carter, etc. to NHL teams come October.

And therein lies the problem of being Canada.

Every year it seems Canada loses severeal of its best players (much more so than other nations) to the NHL for this tournament.

chsb

Jun 14, 2003
Visit site
HabLover said:
Goalies

Ryan Munce - 1985
Kevin Nastiuk - 1985
Martin Houle - 1985
Devan Dubnyk - 1986

Defencemen

Dion Phaneuf - 1985
Braydon Coburn - 1985
Brent Seabrooke - 1985
Shawn Belle - 1985
Paul Bissonette - 1985
Mike Green - 1985
Shea Weber - 1985
Cam Barker - 1986
Alexandre Picard - 1985
Wes O'Neill - 1986
Jeff Schultz - 1986
Kyle Wharton - 1986
Jonathon Sigalet - 1986

Forwards

Jeff Carter - 1985
Anthony Stewart - 1985
Nigel Dawes - 1985
Ryan Getzlaf - 1985
Mike Richards - 1985
Jeremy Colliton - 1985
Stephen Dixon - 1985
Sidney Crosby - 1987
Steve Bernier - 1985
MA Pouliot - 1985
Corey Perry - 1985
Stefan Meyer - 1985
Colin Fraser - 1985
Eric Fehr - 1985
Clarke MaCarthur - 1985
Chad Klassen - 1985
Andrew Ladd - 1985
Wojtek Wolski - 1986
Dany Roussin - 1985
Benoit Mondou - 1985
Alexandre Picard - 1985
Kyle Chipchura - 1986
Travis Zajac - 1985
David Bolland - 1986

Players in NHL

Patrice Bergeron - 1985
Nathan Horton - 1985
Brent Burns - 1985

I don't care too much about who will get bumped out from last year, but there is a crew from the Q that has been sidelined in the past and should be included thsi time around:
In goals: the best goaltender in the CHL last year ,Martin Houle.
On defense,Picard from Lewiston.
On forwards: Bergeron of course, Steve Bernier, Pouliot,Roussin. I would even go and remove Dixon for anyone of these.One questionable but excellent is also the small and gritty Mondou who really impressed at the Bruins camp last Fall.

chsb

Jun 14, 2003
Visit site
cdnhky1 said:

I would bump a few of these forwards in favor of some Q offensive blood: Roussin,Pouliot,Steve Bernier,Picard are musts to be included, I don't care how the rest is because the offense is what has missed to this team in the last 3 years when comes the gold medal game.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
chsb said:
I don't care too much about who will get bumped out from last year, but there is a crew from the Q that has been sidelined in the past and should be included thsi time around:
On forwards: Bergeron of course, Steve Bernier, Pouliot,Roussin. I would even go and remove Dixon for anyone of these.One questionable but excellent is also the small and gritty Mondou who really impressed at the Bruins camp last Fall.

Picard from Cape Breton on defence?

chsb

Jun 14, 2003
Visit site
Crosbyfan said:
Picard from Cape Breton on defence?

I meant all along Picard from Lewiston: sorry and he is a forward.
Picard, the defenseman, has been representing the Q last year in international events.
Picard from Lewiston was dominant offensively last year and would be a great asset for Team-Canada.

cdnhky1

May 16, 2002
Visit site
I think you will find that Corey Crawford is in fact eligible for this year's WJC. I realize he's a 1984 birthdate, but he was born on December 31, 1984.

I checked on the IIHF and Hockey Canada's website and there was nothing on eligility. However, from past recollection, I believe the IIHF ruling states that a player must be u-20 on the day that the tournament commences and can in fact turn 20 during the duration of the event and still be eligible. If this is the case, Crawford would be 19 on December 25, the day the even starts, and thus eligible to play in this u-20 tournament.

RyanM

May 2, 2002
Sydney
cdnhky1 said:
I think you will find that Corey Crawford is in fact eligible for this year's WJC. I realize he's a 1984 birthdate, but he was born on December 31, 1984.

I checked on the IIHF and Hockey Canada's website and there was nothing on eligility. However, from past recollection, I believe the IIHF ruling states that a player must be u-20 on the day that the tournament commences and can in fact turn 20 during the duration of the event and still be eligible. If this is the case, Crawford would be 19 on December 25, the day the even starts, and thus eligible to play in this u-20 tournament.

I don't think it works like that. You need to be born in the calendar years of 85 or later to be eligible. Being born on Dec 31 84 makes you ineligible by 1 day, just like it makes you a 20yr old in the CHL.

RyanM

May 2, 2002
Sydney
chsb said:

And how often have you seen the other guys play chsb? Don't start saying certain players should be on the team, especally SIX guys should be on the team when you have probably never seen any of the others play.

chsb

Jun 14, 2003
Visit site
RyanM said:
And how often have you seen the other guys play chsb? Don't start saying certain players should be on the team, especally SIX guys should be on the team when you have probably never seen any of the others play.

Alot of these guys are returnees as you know and it was posted.But I noticed that someof our guys in the Q, as Pouliot, Roussin, Bernier and Picard, even if they had success in the last two seasons, even if they were highly drafted by NHL teams,are being disregarded in the lineups. Time for a 2nd look at this system where returnees are having too much of a free lunch.
Also no doubt Canada has the best team on paper but did not come up with the Gold.I believe some more offense on the big ice surface would have made a difference.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
RyanM said:
I don't think it works like that. You need to be born in the calendar years of 85 or later to be eligible. Being born on Dec 31 84 makes you ineligible by 1 day, just like it makes you a 20yr old in the CHL.

It has nothing to do with the day he was born, it has everything to do with the year he was born!

Unfortunately for Crawford he has the worst birthdate in hockey and was born one day too early. It's actually kind of funny cuz guys like Carter, Belle and Stewart, who were all born no more than 5 days later than Crawford, are all eligible for the tourney cuz they made it to the 1985 year. In fact, Jeff Carter may very well be less than 24 yrs younger than Crawford, but is in fact eligible for this coming tourney cuz his birthdate reads January 1st, 1985.

Now Carter, Belle, Steward and some others will all turn 20 before the event concludes, but it's ok cuz they all have 1985 birth years.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
HabLover said:
It has nothing to do with the day he was born, it has everything to do with the year he was born!

Unfortunately for Crawford he has the worst birthdate in hockey and was born one day too early. It's actually kind of funny cuz guys like Carter, Belle and Stewart, who were all born no more than 5 days later than Crawford, are all eligible for the tourney cuz they made it to the 1985 year. In fact, Jeff Carter may very well be less than 24 yrs younger than Crawford, but is in fact eligible for this coming tourney cuz his birthdate reads January 1st, 1985.

Now Carter, Belle, Steward and some others will all turn 20 before the event concludes, but it's ok cuz they all have 1985 birth years.

Hablover, you basically said everything RyanM said.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
HabLover said:
Goalies

Ryan Munce - 1985
Kevin Nastiuk - 1985
Martin Houle - 1985
Devan Dubnyk - 1986

Defencemen

Dion Phaneuf - 1985
Braydon Coburn - 1985
Brent Seabrooke - 1985
Shawn Belle - 1985
Paul Bissonette - 1985
Mike Green - 1985
Shea Weber - 1985
Cam Barker - 1986
Alexandre Picard - 1985
Wes O'Neill - 1986
Jeff Schultz - 1986
Kyle Wharton - 1986
Jonathon Sigalet - 1986

Forwards

Jeff Carter - 1985
Anthony Stewart - 1985
Nigel Dawes - 1985
Ryan Getzlaf - 1985
Mike Richards - 1985
Jeremy Colliton - 1985
Stephen Dixon - 1985
Sidney Crosby - 1987
Steve Bernier - 1985
MA Pouliot - 1985
Corey Perry - 1985
Stefan Meyer - 1985
Colin Fraser - 1985
Eric Fehr - 1985
Clarke MaCarthur - 1985
Chad Klassen - 1985
Andrew Ladd - 1985
Wojtek Wolski - 1986
Dany Roussin - 1985
Benoit Mondou - 1985
Alexandre Picard - 1985
Kyle Chipchura - 1986
Travis Zajac - 1985
David Bolland - 1986

Players in NHL

Patrice Bergeron - 1985
Nathan Horton - 1985
Brent Burns - 1985

and here is the real list from Hockey Canada today.......

Beauchemin, Rejean L/G 6'2" 206 05/05/1985 Winnipeg, MB Prince Albert Raiders (WHL) PHI 2003
Dubnyk, Devin L/G 6'5 182 05/04/1986 Calgary, AB Kamloops Blazers (WHL) 2004 Dft/Rep.
Munce, Ryan L/G 6'0 175 04/16/1985 Mississauga, ON Sarnia Sting (OHL) 2004 Dft/Rep.
Shantz, David R/D 6'1 190 05/05/1986 Hamilton, ON Mississauga Ice Dogs (OHL) 2004 Dft/Rep.

Defence

Barker, Cam L/G 6'3 210 04/04/1986 Winnipeg, MB Medicine Hat Tigers (WHL) 2004 Dft/Rep.
Belle, Shawn L/G 6'1 212 01/03/1985 Edmonton, AB Tri-City Americans (WHL) STL 2003
Coburn, Braydon L/G 6'5 210 02/27/1985 Shaunavon, SK Portland Winterhawks (WHL) ATL 2003
Coulombe, Patrick L/G 5'9 163 04/23/1985 St-Fabien, QC Rimouski Oceanic (QMJHL) FREE AGENT
Fistric, Mark L/G 6'3 220 06/01/1986 Edmonton, AB Vancouver Giants (WHL) 2004 Dft/Rep.
Green, Mike R/D 6'1 193 10/12/1985 Calgary, AB Saskatoon Blades (WHL) 2004 Dft/Rep.
O’Neill, Wes L/G 6'4 218 03/03/1986 Essex, ON University of Notre Dame (CCHA) 2004 Dft/Rep.
Phaneuf, Dion L/G 6'3 205 04/10/1985 Edmonton, AB Red Deer Rebels (WHL) CGY 2003
Picard, Alexandre R/D 6'3 215 07/05/1985 Gatineau, QC Cape Breton (QMJHL) PHI 2003
Rogers, Andy L/G 6'5 208 09/25/1986 Calgary, AB Calgary Hitmen (WHL) 2004 Dft/Rep.
Saunders, Nathan L/G 6'3 210 05/25/1985 Charlottetown, PE Moncton Wildcats (QMJHL) ANA 2003
Schultz, Jeff L/G 6'6 210 02/25/1986 Calgary, AB Calgary Hitmen (WHL) 2004 Dft/Rep.
Seabrook, Brent R/D 6'2 221 04/20/1985 Delta, BC Lethbridge Hurricanes (WHL) CHI 2003
Stephenson, Logan L/G 6'3 185 02/19/1986 Outlook, SK Tri-City Americans (WHL) 2004 Dft/Rep.
Syvret, Danny L/G 6'0 200 06/13/1985 Millgrove, ON London Knights (OHL) FREE AGENT
Weber, Shea R/D 6'3 208 09/14/1985 Sicamous, BC Kelowna Rockets (WHL) NAS 2003

Forwards

Bernier, Steve L/G 6'2 225 03/31/1985 Vanier, QC Moncton Wildcats (QMJHL) SJ 2003
Bolland, Dave R/D 5'11 171 06/06/1986 Mimico, ON London Knights (OHL) 2004 Dft/Rep.
Carter, Jeff R/D 6'3 193 01/01/1985 London, ON Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds (OHL) PHI 2003
Chipchura, Kyle L/G 6'2 197 02/19/1986 Vimy, AB Prince Albert Raiders (WHL) 2004 Dft/Rep.
Colliton, Jeremy L/G 6'2 195 01/13/1985 Blackie, AB Prince Albert Raiders (WHL) NYI 2003
Crombeen, B.J. R/D 6'2 207 07/10/1985 Newmarket, ON Barrie Colts (OHL) DAL 2003
Crosby, Sidney L/G 5'10 175 08/07/1987 Halifax, NS Rimouski Oceanic (QMJHL) 2005 Dft/Rep.
Dawes, Nigel L/G 5'8 180 02/09/1985 Winnipeg, MB Kootenay Ice (WHL) NYR 2003
Dixon, Stephen R/D 5'11 180 09/07/1985 Halifax, NS Cape Breton (QMJHL) PIT 2003
Fehr, Eric R/D 6'3 190 07/09/1985 Winkler, MB Brandon Wheat Kings (WHL) WAS 2003
Fraser, Colin L/G 6'1 183 01/28/1985 Surrey, BC Red Deer Rebels (WHL) PHI 2003
Getzlaf, Ryan R/D 6'3 207 05/10/1985 Regina, SK Calgary Hitmen (WHL) ANA 2003
Ladd, Andrew L/G 6'2 199 12/12/1985 Maple Ridge, BC Calgary Hitmen (WHL) 2004 Dft/Rep.
MacArthur, Clarke L/G 6'0 185 04/06/1985 Lloydminster, AB Medicine Hat Tigers (WHL) BUF 2003
Meyer, Stefan L/G 6'2 195 07/20/1985 Fox Valley, SK Medicine Hat Tigers (WHL) FLA 2003
Perry, Corey R/D 6'3 195 05/16/1985 Peterborough, ON London Knights (OHL) ANA 2003
Picard, Alexandre L/G 6'1 188 10/06/1985 Les Saules, QC Lewiston Maineiacs (QMJHL) 2004 Dft/Rep.
Pouliot, Marc-Antoine R/D 6'2 188 05/22/1985 Quebec, QC Rimouski Oceanic (QMJHL) EDM 2003
Richards, Michael L/G 6'0 190 02/11/1985 Kenora, ON Kitchener Rangers (OHL) PHI 2003
Roussin, Dany L/G 6'2 195 01/09/1985 Quebec, QC Rimouski Oceanic (QMJHL) FLA 2003
Stewart, Anthony R/D 6'2 228 01/05/1985 Scarborough, ON Kingston Frontenacs (OHL) FLA 2003
Stone, Ryan L/G 6'1 203 03/20/1985 Calgary, AB Brandon Wheat Kings (WHL) PIT 2003
Wolski, Wojtek L/G 6'3 197 02/24/1986 Mississauga, ON Brampton Battalion (OHL) 2004 Dft/Rep.
Zajac, Travis R/D 6'2 205 05/13/1985 Winnipeg, MB Salmon Arm Silverbacks (BCHL) 2004 Dft/Rep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad