Introduction

Swamp Ape

Jan 6, 2011
Duluth MN
I have followed this board for a couple years, but mostly to keep track of what was going on in the hockey world. I spend a ton of time here, so I thought I would introduce myself in this area. Here is a bit about me:

I have lived in Northern MN for most of my life. Grew up playing hockey, tore my achilles and a couple other tendons in HS playing football and really never got back to where I wanted to be. HS hockey is super competitive up here and I just never got back in decent enough shape to play. After HS I went to the military. Played roller hockey on the east coast in some men's leagues, and then played the same in Nebraska while I was there. When I was in the military I had some complications and ended up becoming an insulin dependant diabetic:( That really ended any type of organized hockey for me. Now I am 34. I am in pretty decent shape (I have diabetes, it doesn't have me) and I stay really active. This year I decided to get back into ice hockey. We have three different teams at work. The upper level is actually going to play a tournament in Lake Placid this winter. I am nowhere near the upper level, but we get ice for games at least two times a week and I am good with that.
Last week had my first game. I had an assist and a goal. My skating sucks, stickhandling is sloppy, and I need to get into better shape. My hockey sense is still there somewhat, so I know where to be, and who to cover. My main concern has been to deal with my blood sugar, but I am good at keeping tabs on it.

I also have a 4 year old hockey nut and a rink in my backyard that he is learning to skate on. Playing on the rink in the backyard under the lights with my son is probably the best part of getting back on ice skates.

Sorry for the long post. Now you know a little about me. Hope to have some positive stuff to add to the forum. Thanks for all of the good information here.

frito

Jan 27, 2007
Cincinnati
Welcome to the boards. I am happy you got yur diabetes under control and are playing again. Just curious, do you have a pump or are you taking injections? While I am not diabetic, my brother-in-law is and a guy who runs our learn to play hockey is. I think he was diagnosed with it at a much younger age than you so he learned how to manage it at a younger age. He went on to play at a reasonably high level and still plays in D-1, D-2 leagues around town. He does have a pump and I think that has helped him a ton.

Enjoy skating with your hockey nut. That's the best part of it. My older daughter is now old enough, 14, that she actually played on my adult team a couple times this past summer. I am hopeful that hockey will be a good way for us to stay connected even after she graduates college, goes on her own etc.

Swamp Ape

Jan 6, 2011
Duluth MN
I do have a pump. I think it has helped alot as well. I don't know many insulin dependant diabetics that play hockey, but there have to be a bunch out there.

You are right, watching kids take up a love for the game is great. Right now my son is wearing roller blades and pajamas in our basement shooting pucks and watching Scooby Doo :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad