OT: Introducing your Vancouver Warriors (NLL)

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
We can use this as a Thread for our New Team the Vancouver Warriors!!!!

lacrosse.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
Do yourself a favor come on out and see some Lacrosse it is a great game and a very good price. Most of there home games this year the Canucks will not be playing .

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Fulham

Jan 6, 2015
I honestly we had no idea we had a professional lacrosse team

are all the players full time? or is it more of a semi pro setup

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

Neither did anyone else. When you drive by their previous venue, you can clearly tell the Giants play there, but there was no indication whatsoever that the stealth also played there. It was easy to forget even if you have the sporting pulse from this region.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Neither did anyone else. When you drive by their previous venue, you can clearly tell the Giants play there, but there was no indication whatsoever that the stealth also played there. It was easy to forget even if you have the sporting pulse from this region.
Well I guess then you can say they lived up to their name pretty well eh? :laugh:

sexydonut

May 12, 2009
If the McCaws weren't a bunch of carpetbagging oligarchs who could not see past the immediate financial statements, they'd still own the Canucks AND the Grizzlies.

No offense to lacrosse, but it is a fringe sport.

The Poacher

Dec 30, 2010
Pitt Meadows
I think the goal for lacrosse is to get to the level of the CFL. Where players will legitimately be able to make a living playing the sport without supplementing their income with another job.(even though some CFL players do this) I don’t think the sport will ever get to the level where players will make millions, but never say never. Currently there’s only a hand full of players that can make a living through winter(NLL), summer(WLA/MSL), MLL(field), sponsorships and lacrosse camps.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Will definitely try to get out to a few games this year, hopefully the org will be selling double header tickets for Canucks/Warriors.

Saw a few of the recent signings play at the Presidents Cup and they put on a show, Keegan Bal especially

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011

The salary structure in the NLL is about a $10,000 minimum for rookies, average $19,000 for veterans, $35,000 maximum for an 18 game regular season.

Then keep in mind most players also play in the Canadian senior A leagues, where players are technically "semi pro" but teams cheat and pay the best players more all the time.

And then a lot of the better players also play in Major League Lacrosse, the professional outdoor lacrosse league, where players make about the same as the NLL after they just raised their salary cap by 50%.

So between all of those and sponsorships, the elite players can make $100,000-$200,000 per year. But the average guy in the league is pretty much a weekend warrior; many players are teachers, high school lacrosse coaches, firemen, or even lawyers during the week.

As for why you didn't know Vancouver had a team, it's likely because they were previously out in Langley with the poorest owners in the entire league. Now that the Canucks have bought them, rebranded them, and moved them downtown they should have a lot more visibility.

If it works out anything like it has for the other NLL teams that are owned by NHL or NBA owners (Colorado, Calgary, Buffalo, and starting this year Philadelphia and San Diego) it should draw 10-14K people per game.

Last year this team had the worst attendance and worst record in the league, so it should be a pretty big turnaround now that real owners with actual money are in charge.

Reactions: The Poacher

MrBojangles

Mar 19, 2012
NLL will never go much further then it is now with season running Dec to April.
There’s too many other sports to compete with that time of year.

It would have to transition to summer imo to really breakout, and ya I know there is overlap with WLA in summer

Box lacrosse is just simply not a winter sport and never has been

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
NLL will never go much further then it is now with season running Dec to April.
There’s too many other sports to compete with that time of year.

It would have to transition to summer imo to really breakout, and ya I know there is overlap with WLA in summer

Box lacrosse is just simply not a winter sport and never has been
The NLL would die in the summer.

Nobody in the US wants to watch arena sports in the summer. That's why the AFL is a sad shell of its former glory and nobody ever cared about the WNBA in the first place.

And it's why the NBA and NHL don't move their schedules away from each other. Their schedules are the time of year when people historically buy tickets.

People want to watch indoor sports when the weather isn't great outside.

And not only would moving to summer put them in conflict with the Canadian Senior A leagues, but more importantly Major League Lacrosse and (depending on how early the start was) possibly NCAA lacrosse. That would essentially cut the salaries of the elite players in the NLL in half and it would severely set back the growth of lacrosse on the whole in the US. It would make the NLL a Canadian-only league, when currently only four of eleven teams are in Canada.

The NLL is on the rise in a big way, so they must be doing something right. It wasn't that long ago that Colorado and Buffalo were the only teams in the league with major sports ownership. Now they are joined by Vancouver, Calgary, Philadelphia, San Diego, New England, and soon Rochester (Sabres ownership is buying), New York, San Francisco, and Boston.

Billionaires are lining up out the door to buy franchises when ten years ago you could barely give a team away.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Interested to see how this goes but I'm suspecting they won't do well. Lacrosse is totally not a part of the culture of downtown Vancouver.

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
Interested to see how this goes but I'm suspecting they won't do well. Lacrosse is totally not a part of the culture of downtown Vancouver.
If you asked people in Denver what lacrosse was before the Mammoth arrived, most would have assumed it had something to do with a French church.

They put the game in front of Avs fans, gave it a major league feel, and they've averaged between 14,000 and 18,000 fans per game for 15 straight seasons. Not to mention it spawned a pro outdoor team that plays at Mile High, boosted youth lacrosse participation by several orders of magnitude, and propelled DU's lacrosse program from completely irrelevant to the only Division I team west of North Carolina to ever win an NCAA Championship.

When the Flames bought the Roughnecks their attendance instantly shot up by about 50%.

People will show up as long as the Canucks put in minimal effort.

Fulham

Jan 6, 2015
I honestly cannot name a single lacrosse player, outside my one friend from abby who plays recreationally.

This will struggle.

Half the people I know who are Whitecaps/Canucks STH cant bother to go/give away their tickets half the time.

Reactions: LickTheEnvelope

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
If the McCaws weren't a bunch of carpetbagging oligarchs who could not see past the immediate financial statements, they'd still own the Canucks AND the Grizzlies.

No offense to lacrosse, but it is a fringe sport.
All sports a fringe sports until you generate interest.

Many decade ago the 'Bellies drew in the tens of thousands for some games.

Lacrosse is a great sport with no shortage of fast paced action.

It has all the potential in the world.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad