OT: Introducing Your Vancouver Titans (Overwatch League)

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Just saw it. Nope. Still not a fan of watching other people play video games.

Maybe it's a generational thing, but I just don't get the appeal of esports or twitch or any of that stuff. Even as an avid gamer myself. I just really can't get behind it as any kind of spectator sport. If I'm playing it's one thing. Just watching it? No thanks.

But hey, if it floats your boat, more power to you. To each his own.

And that video is the highlight package! League of Legends gets the most views because it has by far the biggest player base, but in my opinion the League of Legends or even just the 'MOBA' genre it belongs to in general is by far the worst game you could pick to try and sell someone on the merits of watching pro gamers. I've always considered it the Cricket of the E-Sports world.

Not that I'm really well versed here. I should be too old for all this but I've been surprised I can find some entertainment value watching Starcraft 2 matches. I've tried seeing what watching the much more popular LoL was like but my god was it painful.

Can't really comment on shooters like Overwatch as that's not really my genre, but I'd imagine it be much easier to watch than LoL.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
As someone that watches League, I'm dead scared that the OWL is going to crash and burn and take basically all the investors out of pro-gaming.
Way too much money for way too little viewership.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
tbh eng twitch chat is all of that plus more

can't speak for russian or koreans

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
And that video is the highlight package! League of Legends gets the most views because it has by far the biggest player base, but in my opinion the League of Legends or even just the 'MOBA' genre it belongs to in general is by far the worst game you could pick to try and sell someone on the merits of watching pro gamers. I've always considered it the Cricket of the E-Sports world.

Not that I'm really well versed here. I should be too old for all this but I've been surprised I can find some entertainment value watching Starcraft 2 matches. I've tried seeing what watching the much more popular LoL was like but my god was it painful.

Can't really comment on shooters like Overwatch as that's not really my genre, but I'd imagine it be much easier to watch than LoL.

Overwatch is fast paced and simple, one team holds a point on the map and the other team attacks, easy to watch and makes sense, plus there's no jungle or anything like that, which is where a lot of potential viewers start losing interest

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Overwatch is fast paced and simple, one team holds a point on the map and the other team attacks, easy to watch and makes sense, plus there's no jungle or anything like that, which is where a lot of potential viewers start losing interest

Yeah the action will definitely be their but the thing I'd wonder about (and I haven't watched any of it) with Overwatch/shooters is just how good the spectator view is. You'd be missing a lot following just one player and considering it's in a 3D space and you have 10 or so players running around how good is a spectator cam going to be to follow along compared to RTS or MOBA games?

That's one of the reasons I think Starcraft works well from a spectator perspective. Pro games are 1vs1 it's easy for the castor to keep up with everything going on. Game progression is quick and flows pretty smoothly - the first 2 minutes (I'm roughly estimating on minutes here) where nothing happens the caster uses to setup the match. 2-10 minutes the players start setting out their strategies while poking and prodding each other looking for an advantage and potential trying something crazy to sneak out a cheesy early win, and then from the 10 minute mark on it becomes sort of like football where they line up large armies against each other and start mash them together.

At this point in a LoL match they'd be just finished picking their teams (I browsed a match and that part took 7 minutes) and starting the early low-event portion of the game.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Yeah the action will definitely be their but the thing I'd wonder about (and I haven't watched any of it) with Overwatch/shooters is just how good the spectator view is. You'd be missing a lot following just one player and considering it's in a 3D space and you have 10 or so players running around how good is a spectator cam going to be to follow along compared to RTS or MOBA games?

That's one of the reasons I think Starcraft works well from a spectator perspective. Pro games are 1vs1 it's easy for the castor to keep up with everything going on. Game progression is quick and flows pretty smoothly - the first 2 minutes (I'm roughly estimating on minutes here) where nothing happens the caster uses to setup the match. 2-10 minutes the players start setting out their strategies while poking and prodding each other looking for an advantage and potential trying something crazy to sneak out a cheesy early win, and then from the 10 minute mark on it becomes sort of like football where they line up large armies against each other and start mash them together.

At this point in a LoL match they'd be just finished picking their teams (I browsed a match and that part took 7 minutes) and starting the early low-event portion of the game.

here's this year's overwatch league finals if you want to see what the viewer looks like

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
tbh eng twitch chat is all of that plus more

can't speak for russian or koreans

If you get offended by twitch chat you probably shouldn't be on the internet.
It's just a bunch of kids trying to be provocative and edgy.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
If you get offended by twitch chat you probably shouldn't be on the internet.
It's just a bunch of kids trying to be provocative and edgy.

you don't know me then

and no twitch demographic is 18-28, not kids unless you're talking about fortnite. But yeah just young adults "trying to be edgy"

it's a parody of itself and I feel bad for those that participate in it and aren't trolling

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
OWL-Logo-Blue-SN-1040x572.jpg

PlayerAliasPosition Prior affiliation
Kim Hyo-JongHaksalDPS RunAway
Lee Choong-Hui Stitch DPS RunAway
Lee Dong-EunHooreg DPS RunAway
Choi Hyeon-Woon JJANU Flex RunAway
Seo Min-Soo SeoMinSoo Flex RunAway
Lee Ju-Seok Twilight Support RunAway
Kim Sung-Jun SLIME Support RunAway
Park Sang-Beom Bumper Tank/Support RunAway
Kim Jung-Geun Rapel Flex Element Mystic
Hwang Ji-Sub paJion Head Coach Philadelphia Fusion (Fusion University)
Kwon Yang-Won Yang1 Assistant Coach RunAway
Harsha Bandi Harsha Assistant Coach San Francisco Shock (analyst)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
They could be good actually. That’s sick.

Edit- they’re actually pretty stacked. I used to be a big fan of Runaway

Last edited:

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Titans are going into Season 2 of OWL as one of the most beloved teams, a massive departure from what it's like being a Canucks fan. In a recent Reddit poll asking fans favourite teams, they were the only Contenders team to get lots of votes, in fact they got more votes than a lot of OWL teams.

Every player on the roster is an elite player at their position and the core 8/9 just came off of a championship season in Contenders Korea, the second best league in the world, they were even able to bring along the coaching staff.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
I can get watching someone who is great at a game play for a period of time. Kind of like the old school days of watching someone do well at the arcade and you see 6-10 people surround them. Now it’s done online. So that part I get.

I just can’t comprehend the donation part of it. Never did I think about paying for someone else to play the arcade game. But different era now.
...just not the same somehow. And I remember many, many hours spent watching people in the old arcades with the quarters lined up on the rail...but yeah. Like I said, maybe I'm just old and this hasn't translated to me. Something's missing. It's just not the same.

But once again, more power to the Titans or whoever. If that's your thing so be it.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Welcome to Vancouver! As a proper welcome and for cross promotion I'd love to see these kids due the grouse grind with the Canucks summer prospects camp :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad