OT: Introducing Your Vancouver Titans (Overwatch League)

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Still seems odd to me, the equivalent would be to want to go to an ice hockey game and only ever look at the zombotron not the action on the ice. You could sit at home in a comfortable chair, nice food, some frinds and watch it on a big screen TV and have a better experience than watching it on the Zombotron.

Some events offer more than just a large screen and a place for an audience to gather for the game. There have been musical acts, interactions with the players, prize giveaways, chances to be in the fan interview packages, etc. You also get to see the behind the play stuff too, like you can watch your favorite player as he reacts to something, they have some face cam for the players but live you could easily catch something they didn't show. There are a fair few reasons to watch live versus streaming/watching the VoD at home if you're a hardcore fan.

If not even the streams have live chat so, if you can stomach it, you can interact that way too.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
d add that whatever shortcoming eSports may have in the live audience perspective I'd imagine pound for pound the streaming options are much more lucrative than traditional sports on TV? Not that the other leagues can't/won't use live streaming, but for them it's the new thing and most people will still watch on TV while for eSports live streaming already comes as the default method.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
What Aquilini needs to do is supply the hotel rooms visiting teams stay in with play stations and access to 3-4 of the hottest games..
But not like all the rooms... maybe like 7 or 8 of them... so some players feel left out.

Rowlet

Oct 13, 2018
bumping this because there's rumors of Dec 1st home game vs Dallas being a "Gamers Night" at Rogers Arena where they will announce their Overwatch League team, expected to be the Korean powerhouse team RunAway. These were also found on Facebook

hgu64xh.png

lgEJQUL.png

pw1K2Ft.png

so we may see some news for our first esports team within the week

Reactions: Pip and geebaan

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
billionaire investment group diversifies

why is this special news?

Rowlet

Oct 13, 2018
billionaire investment group diversifies

why is this special news?

esports are cool, mutual ownership, announcement event at a Canucks game in the next week, new vancouver sports team, etc

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
esports are cool, mutual ownership, announcement event at a Canucks game in the next week, new vancouver sports team, etc

isn't it just an investment? I don't see how they market a team in South Korea

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
isn't it just an investment? I don't see how they market a team in South Korea

The thread title word "investment" is used in that they're buying an expansion. I mean the whole E-sports thing is kind of weird compared to the usual sports league but I think it's just less emphasis on the home crowd and local market and more on global streaming and replay. That's what this industry grew up on at least, in a way it's maybe more like professional wrestling in that it's more about the event and less about the location. But since most games do operate in 'teams' now it just seems to have gotten wealthy enough that they're trying to take a page from the big sports league trying a franchise model and setting down permanent locations.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
Should’ve invested in DotA instead of LoL.

Show anyone the 30 million dollar grand finals at TI in Vancouver from three months ago and they’ll become a fan even if they don’t know what’s going on.

Reactions: Dala

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation

Show anyone the 30 million dollar grand finals at TI in Vancouver from three months ago and they’ll become a fan even if they don’t know what’s going on.

Just saw it. Nope. Still not a fan of watching other people play video games.

Maybe it's a generational thing, but I just don't get the appeal of esports or twitch or any of that stuff. Even as an avid gamer myself. I just really can't get behind it as any kind of spectator sport. If I'm playing it's one thing. Just watching it? No thanks.

But hey, if it floats your boat, more power to you. To each his own.

theoriginalBCF

Jan 29, 2018
bumping this because there's rumors of Dec 1st home game vs Dallas being a "Gamers Night" at Rogers Arena where they will announce their Overwatch League team, expected to be the Korean powerhouse team RunAway. These were also found on Facebook

hgu64xh.png

lgEJQUL.png

pw1K2Ft.png

so we may see some news for our first esports team within the week
It's Dec 6 v Nashville

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016

They bought an Overwatch team, not League of Legends.
But yeah, as @RandV already said, it's more about the global popularity of eSports. Most people will be streaming the events from their home. I imagine Vancouver will likely host a big tournament for Overwatch in the next few years, though.

Rowlet

Oct 13, 2018
They bought an Overwatch team, not League of Legends.
But yeah, as @RandV already said, it's more about the global popularity of eSports. Most people will be streaming the events from their home. I imagine Vancouver will likely host a big tournament for Overwatch in the next few years, though.

Blizzard said their plan for next year is to focus on European expansion teams and within 3 years to have the teams live and play in their home cities, so we will likely have some sort of OWL arena by then, maybe they take over the Pacific Coliseum with twice weekly games with in-division play, it's likely we see teams split into divisions if they do go after European teams next with a European division, a North American division and an Asian division.

So we probably see something like:

Pacific:
Vancouver Insertteamnamehere (new this year)
Dallas Fuel
LA Gladiators
LA Valiant
San Francisco Shock
Houston Outlaws

Atlantic:
New York Excelsior
Boston Uprising
Philadelphia Fusion
Florida Mayhem
Toronto Defiant (new this year)
Atlanta Reign (new this year)
Washington D.C. instertteamnamehere (new this year)

Asia:
Shanghai Dragons
Seoul Dynasty
Hangzhou Spark (new this year)
Guangzhou Charge (new this year)
Chengdu Hunters (new this year)

Europe:
Paris Eternal (new this year)
London Spitfire

If each division has 8 teams, that would allow 3 more in the americas, 3 more in Asia and 6 more in Europe

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Not a fan of this sorta thing, but apparently they are bringing in ex RunAway players (Fully Korean Overwatch team) as they were spotted at the airport.

Also, apparently the team branding will be the 'Vancouver Titans', and they will have blue and green colours, like the Canucks.

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER
Can we get a poll going on the first scandal that causes a team member to be kicked out/banned from the team? Will it be racism, misogyny, or cheating? Personally I cant wait to find out

Reactions: xtra

Rowlet

Oct 13, 2018
Can we get a poll going on the first scandal that causes a team member to be kicked out/banned from the team? Will it be racism, misogyny, or cheating? Personally I cant wait to find out

RunAway is a bunch of polite Korean kids who crowdsourced their way to APEX and Contenders and were immediately crowd favourites, everyone loves them with their awesome pink jerseys

doubt any of them get booted or fined

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Just saw it. Nope. Still not a fan of watching other people play video games.

Maybe it's a generational thing, but I just don't get the appeal of esports or twitch or any of that stuff. Even as an avid gamer myself. I just really can't get behind it as any kind of spectator sport. If I'm playing it's one thing. Just watching it? No thanks.

But hey, if it floats your boat, more power to you. To each his own.
I can get watching someone who is great at a game play for a period of time. Kind of like the old school days of watching someone do well at the arcade and you see 6-10 people surround them. Now it’s done online. So that part I get.

I just can’t comprehend the donation part of it. Never did I think about paying for someone else to play the arcade game. But different era now.

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER
RunAway is a bunch of polite Korean kids who crowdsourced their way to APEX and Contenders and were immediately crowd favourites, everyone loves them with their awesome pink jerseys

doubt any of them get booted or fined

hmmm okay you say they aren't racists and misogynists but let me ask you this: they play online video games, don't they?

yeah I thought so!

Rowlet

Oct 13, 2018
I can get watching someone who is great at a game play for a period of time. Kind of like the old school days of watching someone do well at the arcade and you see 6-10 people surround them. Now it’s done online. So that part I get.

I just can’t comprehend the donation part of it. Never did I think about paying for someone else to play the arcade game. But different era now.

imagine if everyone who watched the Canucks could donate $2 to Pettersson to make sure he read their comment and interact with them. to ensure that he answered their question in the middle of an NHL game

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->