OT: Introducing Your Vancouver Titans (Overwatch League)

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I wonder what the players salaries look like..

$50mil per franchise... the revenue must be gigantic... gamer pools are huge... but like every sport, they must have to pay for the elite players... (assuming there is a significant difference from the elite to the next tier of player)
Wonder how much they earn.

When does the CBA expire? heh..

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER
overwatch league has been around for a while it's.... really stupid and bad. The main thing I know about it is that the "athletes" keep getting suspended for saying racist/misogynistic shit.

Sadly
I bet some posters here still believe that it was Juolevi who had an addiction problem even thought Mirtle cane out and said it was not Juolevi

lmao adorable

Reactions: vancityluongo

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
by "a while" I mean a year. If you've been following the coverage it feels like about 5 years.

You think because they denied it after it blew up in their faces then it must not be true? Did you expect them to confirm it?
A guy on Twitter came out and said “Marek was talking about Juolevi” then Marek came out and said “ he never said it was Juolevi and in fact it was not Juolevi”
Believe in what ever you want

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Why OW? Man, pick a better game than that..

Overwatch may not be the biggest game at the moment but it probably helps that it has he backing of Activision/Blizzard. Much easier for these guys to get something crazy like an actual pro e-sports league off the ground than the fortnight guys. Also kind of highlights the skepticism of how this can work is that while yes they can draw crowds the games that are getting all the attention can change every few years.

From the business end of pro sports one of the points of owning a team is that 10+ years down the rode you can expect to flip it for a few hundred million $$$ more than you paid for it. But you spend $50M on an Overwatch "franchise" and it could be worthless in a few years because no one's playing/watching it anymore. I mean I guess they must have all the professional financial people to show how this will work out, but I'd think if you're going to set up a league with franchises it would make more sense to make it a general Blizzard league, so when they make their next big thing in a few years you can just switch over to that.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Overwatch may not be the biggest game at the moment but it probably helps that it has he backing of Activision/Blizzard. Much easier for these guys to get something crazy like an actual pro e-sports league off the ground than the fortnight guys. Also kind of highlights the skepticism of how this can work is that while yes they can draw crowds the games that are getting all the attention can change every few years.

From the business end of pro sports one of the points of owning a team is that 10+ years down the rode you can expect to flip it for a few hundred million $$$ more than you paid for it. But you spend $50M on an Overwatch "franchise" and it could be worthless in a few years because no one's playing/watching it anymore. I mean I guess they must have all the professional financial people to show how this will work out, but I'd think if you're going to set up a league with franchises it would make more sense to make it a general Blizzard league, so when they make their next big thing in a few years you can just switch over to that.

The producers of the game are also, in the meanwhile make hundreds of millions of dollars which they cinvest into keeping the game at a cutting edge level of production for... a long time.

lush

@jasonlush
Sep 9, 2008
Vancouver
50 million seems really high.... but I'm not familiar with the eSports leagues in general

But Robert Kraft is a smart guy, and if he thinks he can turn 50 million into 100 million he probably can

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Honestly, I'll never watch a game and wish that the Canucks had gotten into e-sports when League of Legends was franchising but this is good news for esports as a whole.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I’m no gamer, but from what I’ve read these big e sport leagues make huge $$$. Just research the audience numbers they get and how much the prize pools for tournament are

This ain’t no joke

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Posters ITT be saltier than a tryhard in a pub match.

This team will be more popular than the BC Lions in a short time.

This "franchise" fee likely also includes options for teams in Activision Blizzard games released in the near future, so this is about more than just Overwatch. Expect to see Vancouver Canucks-run Heroes of the Storm or StarCraft teams, for example.

edit: girth and clarity

Last edited:

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
I wonder what the players salaries look like..

$50mil per franchise... the revenue must be gigantic... gamer pools are huge... but like every sport, they must have to pay for the elite players... (assuming there is a significant difference from the elite to the next tier of player)
Wonder how much they earn.

When does the CBA expire? heh..

Depends on the game. In DoTA for example they have a major tournament called "The International" which was held at Rogers Arena a few weeks ago. The prize for 1st place this year was $11.2m with a total prize pool of $25.5m. I think last year or the year before 1st was $14m but I'm not sure.

League of Legends on the other hand has a ridiculously small prize pool despite the playerbase willing to crowdfund it like DoTA. However the players have stable salaries to encourage them to focus on a a professional team practice schedule rather than playing online and streaming. Given that some of the most popular streamers reportedly make over $1m/year the salaries can be pretty high and some players do get more than that if they're elite.

I have no idea about other games though. I would assume Overwatch has stable salaries given the franchising situation trying to operate it as a real sport with a season and playoffs rather than individual tournaments followed up by a major invitational tournament with a huge prize pool.

Meanwhile when I played a game 'competitively' it was an MMO and it was in the mid 2000s so there was no money in it aside from controlling a server to sell ingame currency for real money. I got screwed I COULD HAVE BEEN A CONTENDER. At least it got me into the old betty-foldy card-floppy game.

overwatch league has been around for a while it's.... really stupid and bad. The main thing I know about it is that the "athletes" keep getting suspended for saying racist/misogynistic ****.

lmao adorable

FPS games are all generally the same in this regard. You can hop on YouTube and see teams of CS:GO/CoD/whatever threatening each other and stuff. Are the suspensions internal team suspensions or by the league? The fans of FPS esports almost certainly don't care so it's about public perception either for the league on the whole or for the organization in their other esports.

Posters ITT be saltier than a tryhard in a pub match.

This team will be more popular than the BC Lions in a short time.

This "franchise" fee likely also includes options for teams in Activision Blizzard games released in the near future, so this is about more than just Overwatch. Expect to see Vancouver Canucks-run Heroes of the Storm or StarCraft teams, for example.

edit: girth and clarity

"Heroes of the Storm"
Way to name a game even less relevant than Overwatch

"Starcraft"
Dead game tbh

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->