Introduce Yourself

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
In 2009, I had ZERO knowledge of soccer at all. Barely knew anything about the game.

Before the 2010 World Cup, a buddy of mine got me into soccer. We played FIFA a TON. That's how I started learning players on various teams. I was glued to the 2010 World Cup. In 2012, I really dove into club soccer, mainly the EPL.

I was immediately drawn towards Everton and Spurs because they had prominent Americans on the squad. I spent that whole season trying to watch as much as I could, picking games that interested me. Just trying to watch as many different teams as possible.

This was the year Bale went off, so I found myself gravitating towards Spurs more and more. And, as a Minnesota sports fan, I'm used to following teams who provide plenty of disappointment and heart break!

So, it's Spurs and USMNT for me.

Also very excited that Minnesota United will be joining MLS. Going to look into season tickets, for sure. I plan to start watching MLS more to get more familiar with the league as a whole, haven't watched it much.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Born in NY, American of German descent.

Liverpool, NYCFC, German National Team.

I got into Liverpool because they signed me in FIFA 11 career mode. Seriously. The other two are home teams.

Never played competitively. Would literally pass out due to a breathing condition. Same story with hockey. I played baseball instead because there's less running. Second base :)

airbus1094

Feb 27, 2013
Philly
Born in Kazakhstan and live in the USA now, so I try to watch every Kazakh club team in the UEL and UCL, and of course the national team. As for teams that actually have a chance of winning anything, I generally root for German NT (idk why) and Chelsea (from playing FIFA with them).

I love the UEL and UCL qualifiers and watching no-name teams from ridiculous places play against some well respected sides. They just seem to play with more heart and leave a bit more on the pitch than the established big name teams. Obv watch the World Cup and Euro Cup.

Favorite matches:
Shakhter Kgd. 2- 0 Celtic two years ago in UCL PO
Astana 4 - 3 HJK yesterday UCL 3rdQR

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
I have followed hockey only so far from team sports. But since happened to be bored and watch a football game, I saw Lewandowski score 5 goals, I haven't been able but feeling like watching football. I can't help but want to see more Lewandowski play football. I guess I'll start with watching any team Lewandowski plays for. Maybe he goes to liverpool. This reminds me of how I got into hockey, watching Selanne's games as a kid. Every time I saw him play, he striked a hat trick or two goals or something, and every morning in urheiluruutu he was scoring goals, and I were sold. I went into to midget hockey team and scored 4 goals in my first game.

I have played football as a small kid (who hasn't been in a football team? :P) and besides posting a hat-trick against a brasilian team in Kokkola-Cup(!) (best moment of my life, it was/is international tournament that had like 150 teams take part, nowadays even over 200), I didin't really follow it after I quit football and played just hockey. I really don't know anything yet about the teams of these days. Not even much about the players.. My favourite player was the Brasilian Ronaldo when I were a kid, and Litmanen ofc.

Last edited:

McCoy

Jun 11, 2018
I am Olle from Scandinavia. I like World Cup and talk football then I am NHL since two season's latest.

But my old team are Man United and they're going stronger next time in Premier League.

With 5 or 8 ot 11 new players in the summer.

Wilsondrake

Jun 21, 2018
Hello I have just joined in the forum. I belong to a country where football is not so popular but I love football. 2 years back I had an injury in which I had a ACL tear down after which i could not play football as I could not afford the surgery. But ALL IN FOR FOOTBALL!

Reactions: mmvvpp and Lilou

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
Long-time HF poster (mostly in Business of Hockey section)

New Yorker (Upstate, Rochester).
First a MLB fan: Mets because I got SportsChannel.
Fell in love with hockey and became an Islanders fan because again, SportsChannel.

For soccer, I watched some of the 1994 World Cup. Got into USMNT more in college when I was friends with soccer fans.

Decided to try EPL in the early 2000s. Since Manchester United was the Yankees of EPL, so I became a Manchester City fan (Then the Sheik bought the team and fandom got better!).

My MLS loyalties stemmed from working at colleges: I followed Chris Rolfe to the Chicago Fire for a while, then briefly DC United. Don’t really HAVE an MLS team (I’d lean toward NYCFC now because of the City connection, except for their Yankees partnership. Not sure what to do about that).

As BOH poster, college sports junkie, I’m into the realignment & expansion chatter in all sports. the PRO/REL topic fascinates me because I think MLS missed an awesome chance to sell expansion teams for a new MLS-2 and then promote from that until the two leagues were the same size and then start PRO/REL. It would double their market share and expansion revenue and add a twist to their TV package the “Big Four” leagues don’t have. (Plus it's the only way Rochester ever gets into MLS. They're a poster-child of how a closed major league leaves customers on the table)

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
I'm from New Jersey my entire life including college/university and Liverpool is one of many clubs I root for (along with a hockey team lol, the Yankees, and Packers).

In MLS I've been a Red Bulls fan since they built the new ground and I hate DCU and I think NYCFC are a bunch of clowns who need to get off the Yankees' lawn.

Soccer is the only sport I actually played organized as a kid, so yeah, I don't post much around here tho I tend to stay on the NJD board. I visited Anfield for a match once and the city of Liverpool twice, and the fans are incredible and the club's history is immense just like we keep repeating all the time, so I picked them when window shopping for a team when I started following Premiership when TV coverage here in the states really took off like late 00s and early 10s. Considering I'm 24 that's basically almost half my life, not much less time than I've been a Devils/Yankees fan who actually knows what's going on.

Up the Red. YNWA.

Last edited:

Fred McCarthy

Dec 26, 2018
It me ..Gritty!
From the foothills of the Canadian Rockies , I love English Football... not as much as my beloved Bruins though . After 7 seasons in the top tier , my " Swans " slipped down to the Championship. Not before they averaged 11 or so in the table and after 7 seasons , basically broke even on net transfer expenditures. Quite a feat considering the money most teams spend on net transfer expenditures since the Premier " Greed " League came to be . STID

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I always liked football, but I was never REALLY invested. MLS wasn't enough for me because our team was in New Jersey at the time. Not that it's a huge sticking point on principal, it's just NJ is a pain in the ass for me to get to from where I am in New York. I was raised watching the US National Team in the World Cup because rooting for the US is just what we always did, and again, they don't inspire burning passion. :laugh:

I called it soccer back then.

Then on May 13th, 2012, I remember watching on Sportscenter (while actually looking for baseball highlights) a recap of how City had won the title that day. When the segment began, I had assumed it was the championship game. I didn't know the first place team just wins the title and that's it. That's how soccer-stupid I was. Regardless, the Aguero goal was the coolest f***ing thing I'd ever seen. I'm not a City fan and it still gives me goosebumps. That inspired me to buy FIFA 12. The story begins.

I started a career mode and signed with -who else- Manchester City. Why wouldn't I? Unfortunately, City didn't rate me. I only appeared in 7 games in all competitions. Having scored 8 goals in those 7 games, I felt I deserved better. So when City offered me a new contract with the "role" section indicating my playing time would not increase, I declined and went into the market.

As I was reviewing my offers from several clubs, the words "Starting 11" next to "role" caught my eye. I wanted to play. I didn't care about much else. That offer came from Liverpool.

After becoming the GOAT for fake Liverpool, I decided to watch real Liverpool out of curiosity. I've been die-hard Liverpool fan ever since. That offer could have come from anyone. I had contracts on the table from other teams. A random simulation in an Xbox game changed my life.

From there, I switched to the German National Team, because I'm German-American, and I knew better now. Then Liverpool almost won the title. Then we won the World Cup. Then, in 2015, NYCFC began play, and I finally had a club right in my city. Within three years, everything came together and now football is up there with hockey and baseball for my favorite sport.

Yes, I'm a Liverpool fan but Manchester City got me into football and I support their offspring club. You may point and laugh.

I call it football now. :nod:

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Lot of Chelsea fans here. Yuck.

West Ham United since the early 2000's for me. Only seriously started following since, strangely, the year they got relegated to the Championship. Hopefully going to travel there this winter to see a game at the Bolynn Ground before they move away next year. Waiting for the day to come where the Premier League isn't dominated by Chelsea, Arsenal, or Manchester anything. Don't like Tottenham either...

I'm a Liverpool fan but if I happen to be watching West Ham, I will f***ing belt out "FOTUNE'S ALWAYS HIDING!!" in my living room.

WolvesFanSudbury

Oct 8, 2016
I'm a Canadian that fell in love with Arsenal . Played soccer my whole life but really hated watching it , after playing FIFA one day I decided to start a career mode after being quite good at modes like that on NHL(hockey) video games . Because of the game starting me at "Arsenal" cause of the A I played as them . Fin alt learning some players made me want to see them and slowly I became a fan , I started watching the games , learning the chants , watching the agonizing losses and the glorious victories . I've seen 2 fa cups since I've fully been a fan . My first true trophy was that 4-0 win over villa in the fa cup final a few years back .

Wouldn't change it for anything , I love Arsenal and I love football which I now call it

Reactions: lostinwarsaw
Jul 26, 2007
Vermont
This is very romantic. I can imagine their first conversation taking place in a pre-match watering hole, their eyes having met across a room full of flying bottles and broken furniture.
I mean it was the 1970s so that's quite possible :laugh: though I've never known my mum to have a drink her whole life. I've never thrown anything more than bad words, I promise!

I'm (reliably) told it was on a rainy terrace in West Bromwich, for an FA Cup third round second replay against Bury. They were probably the only two there!

lostinwarsaw

A Slovak living in Belgium
Feb 26, 2019
Warsaw, Poland
Played football growing up in Warsaw, than continued to play in a Sunday league once I moved to Belgium. I really fell in love with the game when I watched the 2010 World Cup, something about that month is so engrained in my memory. Maybe a better time because my parents were around still. The greatest day in my life (so far) was when Slovakia best Italy 3-2. I remember the day so vividly. It made me so proud to be Slovak that I literally had to talk and greet every Slovak fan I saw. Wish I could relive that month... now I’m just a fan of SK slovan and Newcastle. I really enjoy hockey but something about football makes me love it. Maybe it’s the passion that so many people have for it, the fact that it’s apart of everyday life. I’m not afraid to admit I occasionally go out to the field and relive that 3-2 win, with me scoring the third Slovak goal ;) :DD

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
So it started with me visiting family in Europe. In Spain they are from Madrid so I have caught a few games there, including El Classico in March 2013 in which Madrid took a 2-1 victory with Ramos providing the winner. Have visited my family in Germany and caught a Union Berlin match. I also support Arsenal in the prem because that is the side my dad supports and Lazio in Serie A as the club just grew on me there. Real Madrid are my number one club first and foremost as they made me fall in love with the beautiful game. One of my favorite memories is when my family from Germany came to the States during the 2014 world cup and watching Germany win it with them. I am truly a supporter of the USMNT through and through. My favorite footballer is Cristiano Ronaldo as hard as it is still to say since his transfer to Juve. I am also a fan of Pulisic, Reus, Ramos, Kroos, Savic, and more but those are just some examples.

Say Hey Kid

Bathory
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
In the 60s and 70s I lived in the Chelsea neighborhood of London and in Paris. I played amateur futbol in England and France.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad