News Article: Interview with Rangers prospect Pavel Buchnevich

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
Might be nice to have a Russian on the roster to help him ease into the transition when the time comes (like Gonchar with Malkin and later Nichushkin) but that's not really a good reason to sign a player I guess. Not necessary, just a luxury. Too bad we don't have Arty anymore.

Or Tyutin.

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
Not sure where he fits on the roster unless we fail to sign someone .

This is exactly why Sather has to entertain the idea of giving up a player like Hagelin and Zuccs in a trade if it meant improving the team in the long run. Both of them will want long term big money from the Rangers.

BleedinBLUEsince92

Oct 30, 2009
Northern NJ
This is exactly why Sather has to entertain the idea of giving up a player like Hagelin and Zuccs in a trade if it meant improving the team in the long run. Both of them will want long term big money from the Rangers.

You give up Hagelin way before you give up Zucc. He was our top scorer last year. Outside of St. Louis he's our most creative offensive player. Honorable mentions to stepan and brassard. I don't see why everyone thinks it's a good idea to let go of him. Zucc literally goes to battle every single game. Loved by his teammates. Yea lets get rid of every player we have like that.

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
You give up Hagelin way before you give up Zucc. He was our top scorer last year. Outside of St. Louis he's our most creative offensive player. Honorable mentions to stepan and brassard. I don't see why everyone thinks it's a good idea to let go of him. Zucc literally goes to battle every single game. Loved by his teammates. Yea lets get rid of every player we have like that.

Don't tell me you're one of those fans that think Zuccs will give the Rangers a discount when it comes to negotiating a long term contract. Get it out of your head.
He's already on a one year deal... It isn't a matter of wanting to trade a player like Zuccs. Its a matter of keeping him and at what cost. It's also a matter of having a scenario where Sather is approached about a team wanting to trading for a player like Zuccs or Hagelin for that matter.
Point is, Buchnevich will come over next season and in all likelihood make the team out of camp. No, he's not replacing a player like Zuccs or Hagelin yet but the more promise he shows (and others like Haggerty) the more pressure they will put on other forwards who command big money.
Rangers aren't the only team in this situation. With the payroll cap, teams will alway be evaluating where things stand. Bottom line, if trading a player like Zuucs or Hagelin improves the team in the long run while knowing you have some depth coming up then Sather wn't think twice about it.
There are very few "hands off" players on this team and you can bet Zuccs isn't one of them.

Blueblood9

Dec 11, 2011
Nashville, TN
at this point i think you almost have to trade hags with duc, haggerty, buch pushing for spots next year and hags gonna wanna get paid its almost a given you deal him

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I'd try to lock Hagelin up for cheap, he's really an important player on this team.

I hope Glen can work something out with him.

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
I'd try to lock Hagelin up for cheap, he's really an important player on this team.

I hope Glen can work something out with him.

I wouldn't hope on Hagelin being a cheap long term contract.
They'll need to make sure they can lock up players like Stepan and Kreider before a player like Hagelin. Having this "problem" of depth on the wings coming up isn't a bad thing.

Mr Clutch

Jan 21, 2014
Virginia
As much as I love our wingers it might be wise to go 2 for 1 in a trade and try and get an elite player...don't know who that would be though. ...Also we don't know what hagelin would want in a contract, he's real good friends with brass, zuc, and kreider so maybe he wants to stay. Just speculating though

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
a little interesting that hes at least sorta talking about staying in Russia...a lot of the kids who you know are going to come over, say it openly. hes not.

not super worried, because he did come to train with the big boys didnt he? but still interesting nonetheless.

Not concerned.

It's all agent speak really.

If he leaves open the possibility of staying home, he knows the offers to keep him there will be substantial.

It also drives up the cost to get him to sign with the Rangers. Typically third rounders don't get max money or max bonuses, this could be his agent in his ear telling him to leave all options on the table.

Smart move by the kid. Good for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad