Interview with Maxim Noreau

EurolancheDavid

Matt Duchene played for Ambri-Piotta during the recent lockout and also appeared with you at the Spengler Cup tournament for Team Canada. How do you remember him?

I called him when I signed (with the Avs) and I told him I was so happy to come back and hopefully play with him. I’m sure he’s going to help me out. He’s a great guy. In Europe, he showed our team what it is really like to be a NHL player. He’d show up at the rink ready to work out, to work on the ice every single day, because he kept saying “This is a big year for me,†and he really showed guys after the lockout. He came back after the lockout and I think he was one of the best players in the NHL that year. It was really great for our team to have a guy like that, who was really skilled and a really good person. He wouldn’t just wait and then show up for a game. He worked during the whole week. It was really great for a lot of the Swiss guys and for the younger guys on our team to see how hard you have to work to become that good of a player.

Did you know about the Avalanche’s interest in you before, or was it kind of a surprise when they offered you a contract?

I think my agent talked to them a little bit at the end of the year, not during the season. I’ll be honest with you, even last year I got some offers to sign here, to come back here and play, but it wasn’t the right fit so I decided to stay in Europe. On the Tuesday when I got the offer, on the 1st July, I said to my agent “They’re so young, they’re such a good team, they play so fast,†and that’s how I like to play, I like the quick transition game. I called Matt Duchene and he thought I’d be a good fit with the way I play, so hopefully I can prove to people that I deserve to play on this team. I’m not taking it for granted, as much as my contract is a two-year guaranteed, it’s a one-way, but I know there’s no guarantee and I just want to show up and prove that I can play.

What does it mean to you to come back to the NHL, especially in an Avalanche jersey?

It means everything to me, since Day 1. I got down here, I told the organization. I’m having a great time here, I love the city. My dream was always to come back, because deep down I just felt that I could play in the NHL. Maybe it was good for me to go to Europe and work on my game, so now I can come back and surprise some people, to make them think that maybe I can play in the NHL.

Full interview at >>> http://eurolanche.com/article.php?id=5018

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Love his honesty, and it does not come off as 'complaining' either. It's a good insight into the impact certain things have on a young player. Instances that are not necessarily noticed by the average hockey fan.

It's interesting what he says about being called up at the end of the year, and playing on a team and against players who are not playing for much, or are quite as motivated as usual.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Awesome as always! I love hearing an offensive defensemen talk about laying hits and blocking shots. :yo:

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Great interview, this is awesome what you guys do.

I liked what he said too, the honesty. I saw a couple YouTube interviews of his and he's quite talkative, you can obviously see it here. I know he wouldn't get brought in without getting a real shot, we know Roy will give him an honest chance plus I don't think he or Redmond were brought in just to get sent down.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Great interview, this is awesome what you guys do.

I liked what he said too, the honesty. I saw a couple YouTube interviews of his and he's quite talkative, you can obviously see it here. I know he wouldn't get brought in without getting a real shot, we know Roy will give him an honest chance plus I don't think he or Redmond were brought in just to get sent down.

Well... One thing is for sure. Holden better be working on his skating.

No one is safe outside of EJ, Hejda, Stuart, and Barrie at this point.

There is four spots on the roster, and only two of them get to actually play.

A lot of these guys they're bringing in can skate extremely well, and are naturally better skaters than Holden. On top of that you have Bigras and Siemens pushing for spots as well.

If Bigras is even better and stronger than he was in camp last year. How do you hold him back again? (I know what Roy said)

I think Guenin and Wilson are done for personally.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad