Interview with former Av´ Chris Dingman

EurolancheDavid

Chris Dingman (born in 1976) was picked up by Calgary Flames of 19th overall place at the NHL Entry Draft 1994. Then he spent one more season in the WHL playing for Brandon Wheat Kings to complete his four-year stint in the juniors. In the next three seasons, he got only a little opportunity in Calgary and has become famous for his toughness and forchecking style. During the 1998/99 season, he was traded along with Theo Fleury to Colorado Avalanche for Rene Corbet, Wade Belak and Robyn Regehr. Dingman spent two full seasons in Denver, won the Stanley Cup in 2001, played in the final game of the playoffs series against New Jersey Devils and totally collected 13 points in 110 regular season games (4 assists in 16 playoffs games).

You were traded to the Colorado Avalanche in a pack with the legendary Theo Fleury. What are your memories on him as a teammate?

Theo was a good guy, had some issues that came out later, but was cool to me, he was fearless. He could drink 14 vodka cranberries the night before a game and go out the next day and score a goal and assist. Crazy, funny guy. I was working out one day and he said "What are you doing ?". Said "Working out", he says "Never seen a dumbbell score a goal!"

What are your memories on your two seasons in Colorado Avalanche? Maybe you can add some funny story if you would like.

Time with the Avs was awesome, great players, and even better guys! Scored a goal in practice one time on Patrick Roy, came down the next time, he gave half the net to shoot at on the glove side, so of course I shoot there, he snatches it with his glove, tosses it at me in the corner and says not this time kid! With a smile. Adam Foote was miserable to practice against, tough, would trip, hold, and the one time I would knock him down, Bob Hartley would scream at me.

How was that to play in the Stanley Cup Final Game 7 in 2001? Definitely, one of the best Finals ever.

Game 7 was awesome, after winning game 6 we knew if we had a good start we would win game 7. On the bus after game 6 Ray Bourque gave a nice little speech to fire up the guys. The last minute of game 7 seemed like an eternity!

Full interview: http://www.eurolanche.com/article.php?id=3395

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Awesome stuff. Somehow Vodka cranberry sounds like a go to drink for Theo, not sure why.

Always like hearing some behind the scene stuff on coaches too. Funny that Hartley would yell at Dinger if he hit Foote, but anyone who's followed Foote, knows he's a bit of a beast in practice too. Pretty lame of Torts to let Dinger be the fall guy for that incident at the end of his career too.

I'm pretty sure the DP's site is down right now because they gave up trying to compete with you guys. Great work once again. :handclap:

falconski

Unregistered User
Jan 21, 2008
Teenage me was unreasonably pissed when he was traded for a fifth, he was my favorite non-star player on the team for reasons I can no longer remember

Mant*

Teenage me was unreasonably pissed when he was traded for a fifth, he was my favorite non-star player on the team for reasons I can no longer remember

He was a feisty little version of Kamensky.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad