OT: Internet Providers who are not Rogers and Bell

Status
Not open for further replies.

FuriousSenator

Mar 18, 2011
Ottawa
Haha, you're cute.

See my post above.

No you're cute. Indonesia is not a good example.

http://www.netindex.com/

According to global internet rankings the fastest speeds (average of 30-40 mbps dl) are generally available in Hong Kong, Japan, Singapore, Lithuania, Luxembourg, S. Korea, Taiwan, the Netherlands, Romania, and Latvia.

While Canada technically has a faster AVERAGE speed compared to the entirety of the United States, when you remove the primarily rural states (i.e. Idaho), their average beats us every time.

Canada's pop./technological development matches many of these states, so what gives? The answer is a lack of relative commercial competition mixed with healthy doses of heavy (inaccurate) marketing, and unwillingness to develop local infrastructure. Sure Bell and Rogers are better than most situations in 3rd world countries............................. but then again I'm sure they'd find a way to nickel and dime every starving villager they could find if that was possible (and still provide terrible, inconsistent service).

What an uneducated, completely lol-worthy response...I actually laughed out loud reading what you wrote.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

What an uneducated, completely lol-worthy response...I actually laughed out loud reading what you wrote.

Actually, my point was that "you can't paint Asia in such a broad stroke". Indonesia, India, Laos, Cambodia, Myanmar, Malaysia, Philippines, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, Bangladesh... that's maybe 1/5th of the world's population right there. All in Asia. All countries where internet lags so far behind the rest of the world it's ridiculous.

The developed nations in Asia? Sure thing. But "Asia" is far too large an area, and too populous, to lump together as either "good" or "bad" in any one area.

So you can take your "uneducated, lol-worthy response" comments and shove them up your arse.

*EDIT*

Also, according to the list you provided (Net Index), Hong Kong, Japan, Singapore, South Korea and Taiwan all rank in the top-10 worldwide in MBPS. They are far and away the top Asian nations on the list.

Those 5 countries combined also only account for ~5.4% of Asia's population. And 1.4% of it's total land mass. (in fact, on that note, look at the population density of the top 9 countries on that mbps list... there's one fairly common denominator in play.)

The next highest Asian country on the list is Mongolia, at #43. They also have a population smaller than Vancouver, though. China doesn't break the top-60 on that list. Most of Asia is in the Dark Ages of the Internet.

You say "Asia is so far ahead of us".
I say "less than 6% of Asia is so far ahead of us. The rest of them are so far behind that the difference is staggering".

Last edited:

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Actually, my point was that "you can't paint Asia in such a broad stroke". Indonesia, India, Laos, Cambodia, Myanmar, Malaysia, Philippines, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, Bangladesh... that's maybe 1/5th of the world's population right there. All in Asia. All countries where internet lags so far behind the rest of the world it's ridiculous.

The developed nations in Asia? Sure thing. But "Asia" is far too large an area, and too populous, to lump together as either "good" or "bad" in any one area.

So you can take your "uneducated, lol-worthy response" comments and shove them up your arse.

I've got to agree with Bonk on this one. The fully developed parts of Asia probably make up less than a quarter of the population. Even saying East Asia has good internet would be a stretch.

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
He obviously didnt mean every Asian country is ahead of us. The developed, highly concentrated Asian states are ahead of the rest of the world for internet infrastructure. It really is a matter of geography in Canada. We have three major urban centers. Outside those three, a lot of the country lags behind considerably.

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Laurentian University.

Regularly ~4 mbps.

Currently...

2369577330.png

FuriousSenator

Mar 18, 2011
Ottawa

*EDIT*

Also, according to the list you provided (Net Index), Hong Kong, Japan, Singapore, South Korea and Taiwan all rank in the top-10 worldwide in MBPS. They are far and away the top Asian nations on the list.

Those 5 countries combined also only account for ~5.4% of Asia's population. And 1.4% of it's total land mass. (in fact, on that note, look at the population density of the top 9 countries on that mbps list... there's one fairly common denominator in play.)

The next highest Asian country on the list is Mongolia, at #43. They also have a population smaller than Vancouver, though. China doesn't break the top-60 on that list. Most of Asia is in the Dark Ages of the Internet.

You say "Asia is so far ahead of us".
I say "less than 6% of Asia is so far ahead of us. The rest of them are so far behind that the difference is staggering".

Did I say ALL of Asia? No I said Asia... I MEANT it to be generalized and focused on the most developed regions because CANADA is highly developed. Why on earth would I use an example where I compared G8 Canada to whatever little Indonesian village you are currently visiting?

The top quality internet of the regions in the United States, Europe, and Asia comparable to Canada leave it in the dust.

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
This is my TS

No where near what I would get on Rogers, but its unlimited bandwidth (they dont monitor cable) and is only $50 a month. So Im saving about $150 a month (was on Ultimate, would get $100 of overage BW).

chrewilson

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
Acanac.

I get about 50 down, 1up. Unlimited Data.

$58.71/Mnth, or you can pay for the full year in advance and get it for $39.99/Mnth.

Also a great referral program. Each referral get you a month of free service. Refer 10 people and get free service for life.

So if any of you decided to get it, give me the credit ;)

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
I think Im the only person who had a bad experience with Teksavvy.

There was a problem with the cable line coming into my house, which meant I needed someone to come to my house and fix it, which meant I had to call Teksavvy who had to call Rogers on my behalf to fix it, who would just dick them around and send someone 7 days later who wouldn't even fix it. Every time I called Teksavvy it was a minimum hour and a half wait on the phone at that time.

Long story short I bought a modem, paid several months of service, spent probably 40 hours of time dealing with it, never had internet for longer than 12 hours, and they wouldn't even discount me what I paid. The whole experience cost me like $200.

Eventually i got sick of fighting it and just walked away - I now have Bell Fibe 25 for $30/month. I get 20 down and about 7 up

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Did I say ALL of Asia? No I said Asia... I MEANT it to be generalized and focused on the most developed regions because CANADA is highly developed. Why on earth would I use an example where I compared G8 Canada to whatever little Indonesian village you are currently visiting?

The top quality internet of the regions in the United States, Europe, and Asia comparable to Canada leave it in the dust.

Well, first of all, the "little Indonesian Village" I'm living in has a higher population than Ottawa does, so if you want to go down this road, I'M the one who gets to play the "small Canadian Village" card on you. But I love my hometown, so let's not get into that.

But aside from that, you're the one who made a phenomenally generalized statement. If you want to say Japan/S.Korea/Taiwan (and two city-states) just say it. You say "Canada lags behind the States, which itself lags behind Europe and Asia"... a statement that is patently, 100% false.

I'm totally OK if you don't want to compare a country like Canada to an entire continent, just don't say that you're going to do exactly that in the first place.

It's like saying "North Americans are good at speaking French". Well, no. They absolutely are not. Only a tiny percentage of them are. Sure, I'll give you the fact that the people who DO speak French speak it very well, but if you meant to say "Canadian East Coasters" are good at speaking french, why'd you drag the 95% of North Americans who don't know a lick of french into the conversation?

Pitlick*

I have Teksavvy (got it in September), and I get great speeds. Just did 2 speed tests: 20.71 and 20.23. I have "Cable 18" so I actually get a slightly higher speed than I pay for. It's also nice having a limit I'll never pass (320 G) for $39.99.

I seem to get better speeds since buying a new Docsis 3.0 modem (Surfboard) for use with Teksavvy; I had an old Sci Atl 2.0 I used with Rogers.

Crazy, but I got 34.05 on my LTE phone. (Telus, Galaxy S3) It's ridiculous how fast downloads are when I piggyback the laptop to this on the road. And uploads are 21.71 instead of the .51 with the cable. Good thing I've got 5 G per month. If not for downloading and streaming I'd cancel the home internet.

Another good thing about TekSavvy: they employ 400 people in Chatham. SW Ontario has a very poor economy so this company helps a lot. Rogers seems to employ Ontario-based tech support so they're not too bad, but I'd never go with the traitors Bell and their outsourced overseas workers.

FuriousSenator

Mar 18, 2011
Ottawa
Well, first of all, the "little Indonesian Village" I'm living in has a higher population than Ottawa does, so if you want to go down this road, I'M the one who gets to play the "small Canadian Village" card on you. But I love my hometown, so let's not get into that.

But aside from that, you're the one who made a phenomenally generalized statement. If you want to say Japan/S.Korea/Taiwan (and two city-states) just say it. You say "Canada lags behind the States, which itself lags behind Europe and Asia"... a statement that is patently, 100% false.

I'm totally OK if you don't want to compare a country like Canada to an entire continent, just don't say that you're going to do exactly that in the first place.

It's like saying "North Americans are good at speaking French". Well, no. They absolutely are not. Only a tiny percentage of them are. Sure, I'll give you the fact that the people who DO speak French speak it very well, but if you meant to say "Canadian East Coasters" are good at speaking french, why'd you drag the 95% of North Americans who don't know a lick of french into the conversation?

Oh Bonk. Will we ever get along? :laugh:

WilderPegasus*

http://www.netindex.com/

According to global internet rankings the fastest speeds (average of 30-40 mbps dl) are generally available in Hong Kong, Japan, Singapore, Lithuania, Luxembourg, S. Korea, Taiwan, the Netherlands, Romania, and Latvia.

While Canada technically has a faster AVERAGE speed compared to the entirety of the United States, when you remove the primarily rural states (i.e. Idaho), their average beats us every time.

Canada's pop./technological development matches many of these states, so what gives? The answer is a lack of relative commercial competition mixed with healthy doses of heavy (inaccurate) marketing, and unwillingness to develop local infrastructure. Sure Bell and Rogers are better than most situations in 3rd world countries............................. but then again I'm sure they'd find a way to nickel and dime every starving villager they could find if that was possible (and still provide terrible, inconsistent service).

This is all really stupid. You're picking and choosing your criteria that meet your idiotic argument.

Why would anyone think that a country with 9 times the people in a much smaller land mass wouldn't have (marginally) superior internet connections compared to Canada?

Stop whining about stupid things that are irrelevant and attacking others when you're in the wrong. Or do you want to look like a six year old that just discovered the internet?

FuriousSenator

Mar 18, 2011
Ottawa
This is all really stupid. You're picking and choosing your criteria that meet your idiotic argument.

Why would anyone think that a country with 9 times the people in a much smaller land mass wouldn't have (marginally) superior internet connections compared to Canada?

Stop whining about stupid things that are irrelevant and attacking others when you're in the wrong. Or do you want to look like a six year old that just discovered the internet?

Calm your ****...I'm just complaining about duopolies and a system which contributes heavily to overpayment and under-service through formulaic comparison.

Get out o' here.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Distributel for $40 something. Wish upload was better but other than that it's been great.

Last edited:

WilderPegasus*

Calm your ****...I'm just complaining about duopolies and a system which contributes heavily to overpayment and under-service through formulaic comparison.

Get out o' here.

Yeah, you're complaining about duopolies even though you never mentioned duopolies once nor the fact that Canada has broken up the duopoly. Did you notice that not all of the Canadian providers on here are either cable or phone companies?

Droc

Classless
Jul 17, 2010
In my house.
Until October I had the Rogers Ultimate that would real world get me on speedtest 75down 5up and occasionally hit 90down 5 up. Really fast right? And for ~$140 it should be. With only 250GB limit I wasnt happy. Numbers similar to Stylizer's above....Kanata aswell

Then I switched to techsavvy and I get 17-28down and 1up. A huge speed drop from rogers despite being only $54/month for 300gb
I ebayed a high end modem for $50 as opposed to getting one from techsavvy for 2x the price.

However, despite my techsavvy being 1/2 as fast, my downloads move much faster.
Example, on steam with rogers I would get 3mb/s down when getting a new game. Techsavvy gets me 8mb/s down.

The biggest test for me is torrents. I torrent alot, enough to hit 250gb every month and then some. No word of a lie, my torrents come down 100x faster with techsavvy.
Change no settings and utorrent, loaded up with a dozen TV shows from my regular release groups would get me combined 100-300kb/s at the best of times.
With techsavvy my same shows from the same release groups hit 5mb/s and higher.

I always heard that throttling was done on the lines at rogers end, so anyone who uses rogers lines would get throttled by them...but in my experience I feel like I am not throttled at all. Techsavvy may be slower on paper, but having my steam pull down 2x as fast and my torrents absolutely kick the crap out of rogers....Torrents on rogers was like driving a segway...torrents on techsavvy is like...the enterprise.

Rogers is throttled like a mofo.

never had any peak time slowdowns.

Aswell as I have been getting emails from techsavvy keeping me up to date on this big brother crap(gov passed a bill for US media companies to observe your downloading and sue), assuring me that they are not happy and fighting to keep customer privacy.

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
Until October I had the Rogers Ultimate that would real world get me on speedtest 75down 5up and occasionally hit 90down 5 up. Really fast right? And for ~$140 it should be. With only 250GB limit I wasnt happy. Numbers similar to Stylizer's above....Kanata aswell

Then I switched to techsavvy and I get 17-28down and 1up. A huge speed drop from rogers despite being only $54/month for 300gb
I ebayed a high end modem for $50 as opposed to getting one from techsavvy for 2x the price.

However, despite my techsavvy being 1/2 as fast, my downloads move much faster.
Example, on steam with rogers I would get 3mb/s down when getting a new game. Techsavvy gets me 8mb/s down.

The biggest test for me is torrents. I torrent alot, enough to hit 250gb every month and then some. No word of a lie, my torrents come down 100x faster with techsavvy.
Change no settings and utorrent, loaded up with a dozen TV shows from my regular release groups would get me combined 100-300kb/s at the best of times.
With techsavvy my same shows from the same release groups hit 5mb/s and higher.

I always heard that throttling was done on the lines at rogers end, so anyone who uses rogers lines would get throttled by them...but in my experience I feel like I am not throttled at all. Techsavvy may be slower on paper, but having my steam pull down 2x as fast and my torrents absolutely kick the crap out of rogers....Torrents on rogers was like driving a segway...torrents on techsavvy is like...the enterprise.

Rogers is throttled like a mofo.

never had any peak time slowdowns.

Aswell as I have been getting emails from techsavvy keeping me up to date on this big brother crap(gov passed a bill for US media companies to observe your downloading and sue), assuring me that they are not happy and fighting to keep customer privacy.

Tek Savvy also doesnt monitor BW usage on cable.

Good for me as I usually do a hair over 1 TB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad