OT: Internet Providers who are not Rogers and Bell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
Can anyone give me some insight on who's good for internet? I'm trying to avoid Rogers and Bell for obvious reasons, but I'm not opposed to using them if I need to. Worth noting, since it affects pricing and installation, that I don't have a landline and I don't subscribe to cable. I also don't own my own modem or router, so I might have to buy which I'm okay with) of the ISP's prices are more than I want to pay. I live around Bayshore/Pinecrest area.

Thanks!

Indrew

Feb 6, 2007
TekSavvy. They have both cable and internet services. They piggyback the Rogers/Bell lines so you *might* have to deal with them one more time during installation.

The prices are low, the caps are high, and they have excellent customer service (my experience anyways...).

Goat Boy

Jun 8, 2011
Yeah, Teksavvy is the way to go. It's amazing how faster, higher capacity Internet can be so cheap when your not getting it from the good old duopoly.

Their support is good enough, but don't expect Rogers-style call centres to be there to answer every little thing you have. It's a bit more DIY. Just remember to pay on time every month though.

And don't go for their services outside of Internet. They're not ready for the phone business, yet. That's on experience.

UnHappyDude

Fire Dorion
Jan 11, 2011
I go with National Capital Freenet. Its pretty much the same service as tekksavy but its a grassroots cooperative in Ottawa. I like to help local business.

18Hossa

And Grace, Too
Oct 12, 2012
What are you talking about!?!?

This internet is so fast. :sarcasm:

Fastest ever.
:sarcasm:
2133759353.png

Zedrow

Nov 25, 2009
Sudbury
I'm with Persona in Sudbury. Its a great deal for ~$110/month I get internet(no caps) cable (~100 channels) and phone with call display, call answer, call waiting.

2368796092.png

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
I'd look into getting a Bell Fibe internet package.

You could get 25 Mbps DL and 10 Mbps UL for a little under $70 per month, with 125 GB monthly bandwidth allowance. I think installation and the modem rental fee may be waived for first time customers. Could be wrong on that.

Last edited:

Yokai

Mar 29, 2011
Ottawa
Yay Stittsville? Power might go out when it rains but hey at least the internet is fast.

2369089287.png

In terms of the OP's actual question my GF's family uses Storm because it is a local option. Can't really speak to its speed though since I think they just went with a basic package. I just went Rogers due to the discounts for bundling everything.

Last edited:

WilderPegasus*

2369114796.png

If you ain't with Teksavvy, you a sucka!!!

Don't support the evil Leafs owners of Rogers and Bell!

toivy

Nov 15, 2008
Ottawa
Best I've gotten from the laptop:
2105291091.png

Most recent:
2359490044.png

Teksavvy 18/0.5; $40/month (+tax). Sure you fork out ~$100 for the modem, but it pays for itself in no time based on anyone else charging you to rent it. I spend about ~$75/month on Teksavvy and that includes a landline and my "normal" long distance ($0.03/minute)

FuriousSenator

Mar 18, 2011
Ottawa
Oh my god the sorry state of Canada's internet service makes me legitimately tear with rage.. :rant:

It really is unbelievable how bad it is compared with the States, and even the States lags far behind Europe and Asia....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->