International Ice at International events

Bure

Jan 3, 2011
Ottawa, Ontario
i like games on small ice better too, but europeans aren't brought up on small ice, just like canada and usa arent brought up on big ice, just look at the last 2 olympics, North American teams dominated in vancouver because they were accustomed to NA rinks , and in 2006 , Euro teams dominated. I think its just a question of fair for both Canada and Usa, and the euro teams.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Actually, soccer does have different sized fields. Rugby too. They all fit within certain dimensions but can vary by 10 yards or so in length and width.

Money is the reason, but Hockey Canada's new home will be an international sized rink.

That's great, I like the larger Ice surface.

NiagaraGirl

Hockey Canada fan :)
Russians training on NHL sized rink

I actually was watching a report on the Russian team the other night and they were showing them training at an NHL-sized arena for a few weeks before the tournament in order to get used to it. Don't quote me but I believe they said that they build that arena at home just to train for events in North America.

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal
If the games are played in NA, it will be a NA sized rink.
If the games are played in Europe, it will be a Euro sized rink.

It's up to the teams to adjust.

thomasincanada

Mar 7, 2005
London, ON
i like games on small ice better too, but europeans aren't brought up on small ice, just like canada and usa arent brought up on big ice, just look at the last 2 olympics, North American teams dominated in vancouver because they were accustomed to NA rinks , and in 2006 , Euro teams dominated. I think its just a question of fair for both Canada and Usa, and the euro teams.

Ok but in the olympics before those two, NA teams dominated and it was international sized ice.

SensFan26

Oct 27, 2009
Sturgeon County, AB
I think the way it is right now is fine. It's kinda like the Superbowl, it can either favor teams by being played in a dome, it could favor another team by being out in the freezing cold while it's snowing, etc.

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
Small ice make for more entertaining hockey.

Also, players used to small ice surfaces are better at handling stress and physical play, which matters in any playoffs regardless of the size of the rink. Maybe the big ice would help the european teams a bit, but on the other hand teams like Switzerland and Norway has shown that it's actually better for them to defend against powerhouse teams on smaller rinks.

North American rinks for all IIHF competitions, thats my vote.

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
Considering that hockey has two poles (N.America and Europe+Russia), calling european rinks "international" is misleading...

IT's NA rinks and Euro rinks, that's lit.

I was unaware that Japan is in Europe. Not to mention all the other countries outside of Europe that have (albeit humble) national programs.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I was unaware that Japan is in Europe. Not to mention all the other countries outside of Europe that have (albeit humble) national programs.

... What do you don't understand about the word "pole"?

My point is : international-sized rink is an extremely misleading concept, that kinda brought places like Japan to opt for ... well, european-sized rinks.

The Saw Is the Law

Jul 31, 2010
Some teams have a smaller than international size rink but the reason for it was more with the team's playing style more suited for a smaller rink. Majority of teams play in a bigger rink and the most the titles in the past decade were won by teams playing in a large rink.

If I remember right only TPS and HPK play in real international size rink. Other 12 SM-liiga teams uses 'hybrid' rinks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad