International & European Hockey Research and Information Thread

Robert Gordon Orr

Dec 3, 2009
Ceskoslovensky Sport asked a bunch of hockey people to vote for and rank their top three European players during the 1968-69 season in order to determine the top European player of that season. Three points was given for first place, two for second and one for third.
Maybe it is not entirely fitting in this thread (as many are voted in already), but I just stumbled past it and thought it might be of interest anyway.

Mod Edit: Moved to another thread. Definitely of interest.

COACHES

Arne Strömberg (Sweden): 1. Suchý, 2. Sterner, 3. Kharlamov

Vladimir Kostka (Czechoslovakia): 1. Ji. Holik, 2. Sterner, 3. Suchý

Gustav Bubnik (Finland) (originally Czech): 1. Firsov, 2. Sterner, 3. N. Nilsson

Wayne Dornack (USA): 1. Suchý, 2. Svedberg, 3. Firsov

Jack Bownass (Canada): 1. Suchý, 2. Sterner, 3. Dzurilla

Anatoli Tarasov (Soviet Union): 1. Holmqvist, 2. Svedberg, 3. Ja. Holik

JOURNALISTS

Gustav Vlk (Ceskoslovensky Sport): 1. Suchý, 2. Sterner, 3. Jirik

Jouko Autero (Aamulehti Tampere): 1. Suchý, 2. Sterner, 3. Ja. Holik

Ulf Jansson (Se i Bild, Stockholm): 1. Suchý, 2. Kharlamov, 3. Ji. Holik

Evgeny Rubin (Sovetsky Sport): 1. Sterner, 2. Suchý, 3. Ja. Holik

Johnny Esaw (Canadian TV): 1. Suchý, 2. Horesovský, 3. Svedberg

Mike Smith (Winnipeg Free Press): 1. Holmqvist, 2. Demarco, 3. Nedomanský

FORMER NATIONAL TEAM PLAYERS

Frantisek Vanek (Czechoslovakia): 1. Suchý, 2. Sterner, 3. Jirik

Jan Starsi (Czechoslovakia): 1. Suchý, 2. Jirik, 3. Firsov

Boris Mayorov (Soviet Union): 1. Suchý, 2. Sterner, 3. Firsov

Roland Stoltz (Sweden): 1. Dzurilla, 2. Suchý, 3. Sterner

Tumba Johansson (Sweden): 1. Suchý, 2. Holmqvist, 3. Firsov

FINAL STANDING

1.Jan Suchý (Czechoslovakia) 47 pts
2.Ulf Sterner (Sweden) 24
3.Anatoli Firsov (Soviet Union) 9
4.Lill Strimma Svedberg (Sweden) 8
4.Honken Holmqvist (Sweden) 8
6.Jaroslav Holik (Czechoslovakia) 6
7.Jiri Holik (Czechoslovakia) 5
8.Vladimir Dzurilla (Czechoslovakia) 4
8.Jaroslav Jirik (Czechoslovakia) 4
10.Vaclav Nedomanský (Czechoslovakia) 3
10.Valeri Kharlamov (Soviet Union) 3
12.Josef Horesovský (Czechoslovakia) 2
12. Ab DeMarco (Canada) 2
14.Nisse Nilsson (Sweden) 1

Last edited by a moderator:

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
The poll was taken at the 1969 World Championships (March 15-March 30)

Makes sense. It's a very interesting poll for sure. Suchý is the landslide winner – no surprise when you compare the All-star voting result:

150 voters from 16 country
GOALIE: Vlado Dzurilla 59, (nearest) Leif Holmqvist 56, Mike Curran 28

DEFENSE:Jan Suchy 144, Lennart Svedberg 49 (nearest) Igor Romishevski 16, Oldrich Machac 10

FORWARD:Ulf Sterner 119, Anatoli Firsov 99, Vaclav Nedomansky 68 (nearest) Valeri Harlamov 40, Jaroslav Holik 32

What really sticks out is Ulf Sterner's clear-cut second place which is not based on Swedish ("homer") votes at all, lots of support for him from all sides. Firsov at #3 is not a surprise either, but it's unexpected to see him so far behind Sterner in this one. As for the rest of the field, the specific rankings are not that telling when you consider the relative small field of voters, but it does say something which names do appear at all: Holmqvist and Dzurilla in goal (they both split honours at the 1969 WHC), Svedberg on defence (he was the #2 behind Suchý in 1968 and 1969) and quite a bunch of not Soviet forwards (only Kharlamov is there behind Firsov) but Czechoslovak forwards. Interesting: Svedberg got all of his votes from non-Swedish voters and JiřÃk got all of his from Czechoslovak voters.

Last edited:

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
Nisse Nilsson is a really strange choice for #3 by Gustav Bubnik. I've understood that Nilsson played his last WHC and international games in 1967. Is it sure that he didn't mean Lars-Göran Nilsson? Or maybe "Kustu" was also an avid follower of the Swedish hockey league (called Division 1 back then).

Suchy was quite a superstar in 1969, no question about it.

DN28

Jan 2, 2014
Prague
Thanks for posting it, RGO. Very interesting.

Surprised to see Suchy that much above Firsov in the voting. Especially considering Firsov winning scoring in WC 69. It would be extremely interesting to see results if such poll would be made in other years of that period.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010

Surprised to see Suchy that much above Firsov in the voting. Especially considering Firsov winning scoring in WC 69. It would be extremely interesting to see results if such poll would be made in other years of that period.

I'm less surprised by this than by the margin by which Sterner topped Firsov.

Batis

Sep 17, 2014
Merida, Mexico

I agree that it would have been very interesting to see results of other years if such a poll had been conducted. Firsov seems like the clear favourite to win such a vote in both 66/67 and 67/68 based on his pretty much unanimous WHC/Olympics All-Star selections during those seasons (99% in 67 and runaway leader among forwards in 68).

Edit: And yes thank you so much Robert Gordon Orr for posting this poll.

Last edited:

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
I noticed Vasily Pervukhin was voted among the best for several years domestically.

Is he someone that is thought of highly historically?

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
I noticed Vasily Pervukhin was voted among the best for several years domestically.

It's not something I've been aware of before getting my hands on these voting records, but they do indeed suggest he was the clear-cut #3 overall behind Fetisov and Kasatonov in the 1980s. I don't know about his recognition/legacy in Russia, but I think at least on this side we tended not rank him so highly. Behind Bilyaletdinov, I'd say. The voting results point in a different direction.

Robert Gordon Orr

Dec 3, 2009

It is interesting to note that Mikhail Tatarinov (ex-NHL'er), the hardshooting defenseman of the early 90s, held Pervukhin in the highest regard. Tatarinov said that Vasily Pervukhin was the best defenseman he had ever seen. He thought Pervukhin's on ice vision was second to none, better than Gretzky, Lemieux and Larionov.

Pervukhin was a steady defenseman who made few mistakes in his own zone. He was neither flashy or a particularly good skater (in comparison to many of his teammates), but had good overall qualities and was the prototype of a modern defenseman.

He had a fine tactical sense and was good at making the right decisions when in possession of the puck. He lacked a bit of the upper body strength during his early years (compared to other Soviet defensemen at the time), but he wasn't by any means weak and improved greatly in that area later on.

Pervukhin prefered to break up plays with his stick rather than using his body. He was sometimes called 'the silent genius', because the Dynamo fans loved him for his quiet leadership, never being arrogant or trying to be above others because he was a famous athlete. Instead he led by example on the ice.

He was often paired with Zinetula Bilyaletdinov. Also known to never tie the laces on his skates. Pervukhin may not have made any headlines with his play, but he was solid, and I think the 280 or so games that he had on the national team is a good indication of that.

Bilyaletdinov (left) and Pervukhin (right)

37989_origin.jpg

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
DOMESTIC LEAGUE SCORING

1980-81 (49 games)

1 Sergueï Makarov CSKA 42 37 79
2 Sergueï Kapustin Spartak 36 25 61
3 Nikolaï Drozdetsky CSKA 30 28 58
4 Valeri Belousov Chelyabinsk 23 35 58
5 Viktor Zhlutkov CSKA 29 26 55
6 Viktor Shalimov Spartak 21 32 53
7 Helmut Balderis Riga 26 24 50
8 Sergueï Shepelev Spartak 28 20 48
9 Igor Larionov Voskresensk 22 23 45
10 Vladimir Petrov CSKA 19 25 44

Clearly, the only reason that "The Green Unit" was successful during the 1981 Canada Cup was because of chemistry.

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
It is interesting to note that Mikhail Tatarinov (ex-NHL'er), the hardshooting defenseman of the early 90s, held Pervukhin in the highest regard. Tatarinov said that Vasily Pervukhin was the best defenseman he had ever seen. He thought Pervukhin’s on ice vision was second to none, better than Gretzky, Lemieux and Larionov.

Pervukhin was a steady defenseman who made few mistakes in his own zone. He was neither flashy or a particularly good skater (in comparison to many of his teammates), but had good overall qualities and was the prototype of a modern defenseman.

He had a fine tactical sense and was good at making the right decisions when in possession of the puck. He lacked a bit of the upper body strength during his early years (compared to other Soviet defensemen at the time), but he wasn’t by any means weak and improved greatly in that area later on.

Pervukhin prefered to break up plays with his stick rather than using his body. He was sometimes called “the silent genius”, because the Dynamo fans loved him for his quiet leadership, never being arrogant or trying to be above others because he was a famous athlete. Instead he led by example on the ice.

He was often paired with Zinetula Bilyaletdinov. Also known to never tie the laces on his skates. Pervukhin may not have made any headlines with his play, but he was solid, and I think the 280 or so games that he had on the national team is a good indication of that.

Bilyaletdinov (left) and Pervukhin (right)

37989_origin.jpg

I would add that when Team USSR had a shortage of forwards/centers at the 1986 World Championship, Pervukhin played the latter part of the tournament as a forward:

http://www.chidlovski.net/1954/54_game_info.asp?gm_id=gm724
http://www.chidlovski.net/1954/54_game_info.asp?gm_id=gm725
http://www.chidlovski.net/1954/54_game_info.asp?gm_id=gm726
http://www.chidlovski.net/1954/54_game_info.asp?gm_id=gm727
(I think he played at center, although Chidlovski's lineups give a different impression)

While this was an anomaly and done out of necessity and not very willingly, it still tells something about Pervukhin's versatility. I don't know whether he had any previous history playing forward...

I had Pervukhin on my non-NHL Europeans top 70 list (although barely), I did not rank Bilyaletdinov.

Batis

Sep 17, 2014
Merida, Mexico
I just got my hands on 7 editions (1959-1965) of Idrottsboken. One thing that I have found so far which could be of interest for this thread is additional voting information about the 1962 WHC All-Star Team. Unfortunately this information is not presented for the WHC tournaments in the other years.

WHC 1962 (19 voters)

Goalie: Lennart Häggroth (19)

Defencemen: Jack Douglas (11), Harry Smith (8)

Forwards: Nils Nilsson (18), Jackie McLeod (14), Ulf Sterner (7)

The directorates selection of Sven 'Tumba' Johansson as the best forward of the tournament was also criticized in the book. It is mentioned that Nisse Nilsson, Ulf Sterner and 'Garvis' Määttä all were more important forwards on Tre Kronor in the tournament. It is also mentioned that the reason that 'Tumba' even made the team was that both his teammates at Djurgården Carl-Göran 'Lillstöveln' Öberg and Hasse Mild had to decline to participate in the tournament.

Considering that 'Tumba' was a important player on Tre Kronor in the years after 1962 I was surprised to learn that he apparently almost did not even make the team for the 1962 WHC. Does anyone know anything more on this matter?

The player who is really praised for his performance in the tournament is Lennart 'Klimpen' Häggroth. "The Swedish hero at the World Championships was the young Skellefteå-goaltender Lennart 'Klimpen' Häggroth. Without his incredible reflexes Sweden would never have managed to win the gold-medal."

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
I just got my hands on 7 editions (1959-1965) of Idrottsboken. One thing that I have found so far which could be of interest for this thread is additional voting information about the 1962 WHC All-Star Team. Unfortunately this information is not presented for the WHC tournaments in the other years.

Thanks for the addition. So here's everything we got at this point:

While ago I founded coaches All-Star selection from 1955 WHC. Seven coaches voted. Poland and Soviets declined to vote. Don´t know how the "alternate" players were selected

Results were
G Don Rigazzio (7)
D Kevin Conway (4)
D Nikolai Sologubov (3)
F Vladimir Zabrodsky (7)
F Bill Warwick (5)
F Vsevolod Bobrov (5)
Alternates
G Ivan McLelland, D George McAvoy, D Alfred Kuchevsky, F Viktor Shuvalov, F Grant Warwick, F Bronislav Danda, F Jack McIntyre, F Sven Tumba, F Vlastimil Bubnik

WHC 1962 (19 voters)

Goalie: Lennart Häggroth (19)

Defencemen: Jack Douglas (11), Harry Smith (8)

Forwards: Nils Nilsson (18), Jackie McLeod (14), Ulf Sterner (7)

Here are some more complete WHC all star voting results from some of the years. Sadly only few but maybe these tell something about the process. In 71 and 72 Vikulov was selected to the all star without being in top 3 of votes. in 72 Kharlamov and Jakushev played the same position and gathered 134 votes together with only 121 voters. So it seems that some of the voters wasn´t that strict about the positioning. Still the official team was gathered by positions. Or thats atleast my best guess. I did this quickly by just copying the names so the names are written in Finnish. Source Finnish hockey books.

Casted votes from SWE 11 USSR 8 CSSR 8 FIN 6 POL 4 SUI 4 USA 3 BDR 3 CAN 2 HUN 1 DDR 1
GOALIE:Vlado Dzurilla 36 votes, Tom Haugh 6, Peter Kolbe 5, Ken Broderick 4, Juhani Lahtinen 1, Kjell Svensson 1

DEFENSE: Frantisek Tikal 49, Aleksandr Ragulin 20, Gary Begg 13, Viktor Kuzkin 13, Josef Capla 3, Lennart Svedberg 3, Roland Stoltz 2, Jarmo Wasama 1, Terry O´Malley 1

FORWARD:Jaroslav Jirik 36, Aleksandr Almetov 19, Konstantin Loktev 17, Veniamin Aleksandrov 14, Vjatseslav Starsinov 12, Josef Golonka 11, Vaclav Nedomansky 10, Ronald Petterson 8, Viktor Jakusev 7, Boris Majorov 6, Anatoli Firsov 4, Gary Dineen 3, Stanislav Pryl 1, Matti Keinonen 1, Nisse Nilsson 1, Roger Bourbonnais 1, Anatoli Ionov 1, Sven Tumba 1, Bill Christian 1, Roger Christian 1, Eilert Määttä 1, Jiri Holik 1, Frantisek Sevcik 1

GOALIE:Ken Broderick 28, Urpo Ylönen 7, Vlado Dzurilla 6, Leif Holmqvist 3

DEFENSE:Jan Suchy 33, Lennart Svedberg 28 (nearest) Marshall Johnston CAN 8, Viktor Blinov 7

FORWARD:Anatoli Firsov 46, Francis Huck 29, Frantisek Sevcik 9, (nearest) Viktor Polupanov 7, Vjateslav Starsinov 7, Vladimir Vikulov 6, Jan Hrbaty 5, Vaclav Nedomansky 5

150 voters from 16 country
GOALIE: Vlado Dzurilla 59, (nearest) Leif Holmqvist 56, Mike Curran 28

DEFENSE:Jan Suchy 144, Lennart Svedberg 49 (nearest) Igor Romishevski 16, Oldrich Machac 10

FORWARD:Ulf Sterner 119, Anatoli Firsov 99, Vaclav Nedomansky 68 (nearest) Valeri Harlamov 40, Jaroslav Holik 32

87 voters from 11 country
GOALIE:Viktor Konovalenko 43, Leif Holmqvist 23, Urpo Ylönen 21

DEFENSE:Jan Suchy 78, Lennart Svedberg 58, Tommy Abrahamsson 12, Dietmar Peters DDR 5, Lars-Erik Sjöberg 5, Arne Carlsson 4, Vitali Davydov 3, Vladimir Lutshenko 3, Juha Rantasila 3

FORWARD:Aleksander Maltsev 80, Anatoli Firsov 59, Vaclav Nedomansky 35, Vjatsjeslav Starsinov 12, Ulf Sterner 10, Vladimir Petrov 9, Valeri Harlamov 8, Lars Göran Nilsson 8, Tord Lundström 7, Håkan Wickberg 7, Anders Hedberg 5, Jaroslav Holik 3, Matti Murto 3, Vladimir Vikulov 3, Jiri Kochta 2, Krysztof Bialynicki 1, Jiri Holik 1, Boris Mihailov 1

GOALIE:
Jiri Holecek 32, Jorma Valtonen 19, Carl Wetzel 4, Viktor Konovalenko 2, Christer Abrahamsson 2

DEFENSE:Jan Suchy 37, Ilpo Koskela 20, Seppo Lindström 9, George Konik 7, Josef Horesovsky 7, Gennadi Tsigankov 6, Vladimir Lutshenko 6, Viktor Kuzkin 3, Lennart Svedberg 3, Arne Carlsson 3, Igor Romishevski 2, Otto Scneitberger 1, Pekka Marjamäki 1

FORWARD:Anatoli Firsov 44, Aleksandr Maltsev 36, Valeri Harlamov 18, Vladimir Vikulov 12, Vaclav Nedomansky 9, Gary Gambucci 7, Ivan Hlinka 6, Vladimir Petrov 6, Tord Lundström 3, Josef Cerny 3, Jiri Kochta 3, Ulf Sterner 2, Keith Christiansen 2, Boris Mihailov 2, Aleksandr Martinjuk 1, Lasse Oksanen 1, Jiri Holik 1

121 voters
GOALIE:Jiri Holecek 86, Alfio Molina 12, Jorma Valtonen 11, Vladislav Tretjak 10, Leif Holmqvist 2

DEFENSE:Oldrich Machac 79, Frantisek Pospisil 75, Josef Horeskovsky 20, Vladimir Lutshenko 20, Gennadi Tsigankov 13, Jouko Öystilä 7, Thommie Bergman 5, Aleksandr Gusev 5, Rudolf Tajcnar 5, Viktor Kuzkin 4, Juha Rantasila 3, Timo Nummelin 2, Jiri Bubla 1, Aleksandr Ragulin 1, Lars-Erik Sjöberg 1, Otto Schneitberger 1

FORWARD:Aleksandr Maltsev 96, Valeri Harlamov 91, Aleksandr Jakushev 43, Jaroslav Holik 28, Vladimir Vikulov 28, Jiri Holik 22, Jan Klapac 12, Boris Mihailov 11, Lauri Mononen 10, Vladimir Martinec 10, Jiri Kochta 4, Juri Blinov 2, Richard Farda 2, Anders Hedberg 1, Björn Palmqvist 1, Alois Schloder 1

GOALIE:Curt Larsson 43, Vladislav Tretjak 38, Jiri Holecek (vote count missing), Christer Abrahamsson 14, Stig Wetzell 2, Antti Leppänen 1, Jorma Valtonen 1

DEFENSE:Lars-Erik Sjöberg 72, Valeri Vasiljev 68, Oldrich Machac (no votes mentioned), Aleksander Gusev 25, Heikki Riihiranta 8, Jiri Bubla 5, Thommy Abrahamsson 5, Seppo Lindström 3, Milan Kuzela 2, Jan Suchy 2, Gennadi Tsigankov 2, Juri Ljapkin 1,

FORWARD:Vladimir Martinec 82, Vaclav Nedomansky 58, Aleksandr Jakushev 45, Boris Mihailov 44, Anders Hedberg 28, Aleksandr Maltsev 18, Veli-Pekka Ketola 16, Valeri Harlamov 15, Sergei Kapustin 7, Vladimir Petrov 6, Ivan Hlinka 5, Vladimir Shadrin 3, Willy Lindström 2, Esa Peltonen 2, Jiri Holik 1, Ulf Nilsson 1, Lasse Oksanen 1, Juhani Tamminen 1

GOALTENDERS: Carl Wetzel 42.5 % of the votes
DEFENCEMEN: Carl Brewer 83 %, Aleksandr Ragulin 42.5 %
FORWARDS: Anatoli Firsov 99 %, Veniamin Aleksandrov 79 %, Aleksandr Almetov 47 %

(It's also mentioned that Finnish goalie Urpo Ylönen got 20.5 % of the goalie votes, but we don't get to know where that put him in the ranking.)

BEST PLAYER: Anatoli Firsov 50 % of the votes.

DN28

Jan 2, 2014
Prague
For the sake of completeness I´ll write here Czechoslovak scoring lists from the beginning till 1960-61. The source is the same as last time when I wrote the scoring from 1961-62 on, when assists started to be counted. The website for these particular seasons refers to Karel Gut´s book 100 let českého hokeje ("100 hundred years of Czech hockey"). Of course, I again counted average amount of goals scored per game each season so you can see the scoring environment (usually pretty high for the following seasons) of "old" seasons and compare it with newer ones.

1936-1937 (5.86 goals per game)
1. Josef Maleček - 16 goals
2. Oldřich Kučera - 13 goals
3. Mike Buckna (CAN) - 8 goals
4. Alois Cetkovský - 7 goals
4. Václav Špatný - 7 goals
4. Murray Teeple (CAN) - 7 goals
7. Arthur McLean (CAN) - 6 goals
8. V. Riczinger - 5 goals

1937-1938 (5.61 goals per game)
1. Mike Buckna (CAN) - 14 goals
2. Josef Maleček - 10 goals
3. Jaroslav Drobný - 9 goals
3. Oldřich Hurych - 9 goals
3. Drahoš Jirotka - 9 goals
6. Wilhelm Heinz - 7 goals

1938-1939
1. Mike Buckna (CAN) - 20 goals
2. Drahoš Jirotka - 17 goals
3. Josef Maleček - 12 goals
4. Oldřich Hurych - 11 goals
4. Oldřich Kučera - 11 goals
6. Jiří Tožička - 9 goals
7. Robert Robětín - 8 goals
8. Jaroslav Drobný - 7 goals
- league was not played this season, only regional championships were held and since almost every seriously good player played in Prague, this scoring list is the one from "Central-Bohemian Championship"

1939-1940 (5.67 goals per game)
1. Josef Maleček - 6 goals
1. František Pergl - 6 goals
3. Oldřich Kučera - 4 goals
4. Vladimír Bouzek - 3 goals
5. Oldřich Hurych - 2 goals
5. Karel Polák - 2 goals
5. Jaroslav Pernička - 2 goals
5. Viktor Lonsmín - 2 goals

1940-1941 (5.93 goals per game)
1. Miroslav Sláma - 9 goals
1. Milan Plocek - 9 goals
3. Jaroslav Drobný - 8 goals
4. Vladimír Zábrodský - 7 goals
5. František Pergl - 6 goals
6. Josef Randák - 3 goals
6. Josef Kus - 3 goals
6. Viktor Lonsmín - 3 goals
6. Stanislav Konopásek - 3 goals
6. František Pácalt - 3 goals

1941-1942 (5.13 goals per game)
1. Jaroslav Drobný - 9 goals
2. Oldřich Kučera - 7 goals
3. Vladimír Zábrodský - 5 goals
3. Václav Frýzek - 5 goals
5. Vladimír Čermák - 4 goals
5. Milan Plocek - 4 goals
7. Čeněk Pícha - 3 goals
7. Jindřich Krammer - 3 goals
7. František Mizera - 3 goals
7. Zdeněk Šumlanský - 3 goals

1942-1943 (4.60 goals per game)
1. Jaroslav Drobný - 6 goals
2. Stanislav Konopásek - 5 goals
3. František Žák - 4 goals
3. Vladimír Zábrodský - 4 goals
3. Václav Frýzek - 4 goals
6. Viktor Lonsmín - 3 goals
6. Václav Roziňák - 3 goals
6. Miroslav Sláma - 3 goals
6. Jaroslav Pernička - 3 goals
6. František Pergl - 3 goals

1943-1944 (6.60 goals per game)
1. Vladimír Zábrodský - 9 goals
2. Milan Matouš - 8 goals
3. Stanislav Konopásek - 7 goals
3. Václav Roziňák - 7 goals
5. Ladislav Troják - 6 goals
6. Vladislav Müller - 5 goals
7. Jaroslav Drobný - 4 goals
7. Kristian Cee - 4 goals

1944-1945
- season was not played

1945-1946 (6.66 goals per game)
1. Vladimír Kobranov - 10 goals
2. Oldřich Kučera - 9 goals
3. Jaroslav Drobný - 8 goals
4. Vintíř Němec - 7 goals
4. Vladimír Zábrodský - 7 goals
6. Čeněk Pícha - 6 goals
6. Miroslav Sláma - 6 goals
6. Walter Ulrich - 6 goals

1946-1947 (11.07 goals per game)
1. Vladimír Zábrodský - 17 goals
2. Walter Ulrich - 14 goals
3. Stanislav Konopásek - 13 goals
3. Karel Stibor - 13 goals
5. Mike Buckna (CAN) - 10 goals

1947-1948 (11.22 goals per game)
1. Vladimír Kobranov - 20 goals
2. Vladimír Zábrodský - 17 goals
3. Karel Stibor - 15 goals
4. Milan Matouš - 12 goals
5. Mike Buckna (CAN) - 11 goals
5. Jan Hanzl - 11 goals

1948-1949 (9.79 goals per game)
1. Vladimír Zábrodský - 19 goals
2. Stanislav Konopásek - 14 goals
3. Josef Stock - 13 goals
4. Slavomír Bartoň - 10 goals
4. Václav Roziňák - 10 goals

1949-1950 (8.73 goals per game)
1. Augustin Bubník - 26 goals
2. Jindřich Reitmayer - 21 goals
3. Vladimír Zábrodský - 20 goals
4. Vladimír Kobranov - 19 goals
5. Miloslav Blažek - 18 goals
6. Stanislav Konopásek - 17 goals
7. Vladimír Bouzek - 16 goals
7. Jiří Macelis - 16 goals
9. Václav Roziňák - 15 goals
10. Josef Stock - 14 goals

1950-1951 (8.91 goals per game)
1. Čeněk Pícha - 24 goals
2. Vlastimil Bubník - 22 goals
3. Vladimír Bouzek - 17 goals
3. František Žák - 17 goals
5. Václav Bubník - 13 goals
5. Vlastimil Hajšman - 13 goals
5. Jindřich Reitmayer - 13 goals
8. Josef Hrubeš - 12 goals
8. Zdeněk Marek - 12 goals
8. Vintíř Němec - 12 goals
8. Jiří Pilníček - 12 goals

1951-1952 (9.20 goals per game)
1. Miroslav Kluc - 26 goals
1. Oldřich Seiml - 26 goals
3. Miloslav Blažek - 25 goals
4. Vladimír Zábrodský - 24 goals
5. Bronislav Danda - 21 goals
6. Slavomír Bartoň - 18 goals
6. Vladimír Bouzek - 18 goals
8. Vlastimil Bubník - 17 goals
8. Josef Kus - 17 goals
10. Václav Bubník - 16 goals
10. Ladislav Horský - 16 goals
10. Jiří Sekyra - 16 goals

1952-1953 (10.40 goals per game)
1. Miroslav Kluc - 33 goals
2. Vladimír Zábrodský - 32 goals
3. Josef Hrubeš - 30 goals
4. Václav Šinágl - 29 goals

1953-1954 (8.97 goals per game)
1. Vladimír Zábrodský - 30 goals
2. Vlastimil Bubník - 24 goals
3. Bronislav Danda - 23 goals
4. Vlastimil Hajšman - 20 goals
5. Jiří Pleticha - 17 goals
5. Miloslav Vinš - 17 goals

1954-1955 (8.20 goals per game)
1. Miroslav Kluc - 25 goals
2. Vladimír Zábrodský - 21 goals
3. Vlastimil Hajšman - 20 goals
4. Ján Starší - 17 goals
5. Vlastimil Bubník - 16 goals
5. Lubomír Černý - 16 goals
7. Miroslav Rejman - 15 goals
7. Oldřich Sedlák - 15 goals
7. Oldřich Seiml - 15 goals
7. Josef Stock - 15 goals

1955-1956 (8.36 goals per game)
1. Miroslav Kluc - 26 goals
2. Vladimír Zábrodský - 24 goals
3. Slavomír Bartoň - 20 goals
3. Vlastimil Bubník - 20 goals
3. Miloslav Vinš - 20 goals
6. Josef Kluc - 15 goals
7. Bohumil Prošek - 14 goals
7. Miroslav Rejman - 14 goals
7. Josef Seiler - 14 goals
10. Jaroslav Bendák - 12 goals
10. Otakar Cimrman - 12 goals
10. Bronislav Danda - 12 goals
10. Václav Pantůček - 12 goals

1956-1957 (7.86 goals per game)
1. Vladimír Zábrodský - 33 goals
2. Václav Pantůček - 27 goals
3. Jiří Pokorný - 24 goals
4. Bronislav Danda - 22 goals
4. Jiří Pilníček - 22 goals
6. Slavomír Bartoň - 20 goals
6. Zdeněk Kaucký - 20 goals
6. Miroslav Velínský - 20 goals
9. Vlastimil Bubník - 19 goals
9. Jozef Golonka - 19 goals
9. Josef Seiler - 19 goals

1957-1958 (8.07 goals per game)
1. Václav Pantůček - 27 goals
2. Vladimír Zábrodský - 24 goals
3. Vlastimil Bubník - 22 goals
4. Slavomír Bartoň - 21 goals
5. Jiří Pokorný - 20 goals
5. František Schwach - 20 goals
7. Josef Seiler - 18 goals
7. Ján Starší - 18 goals
9. Vlastimil Hajšman - 16 goals
9. Miloslav Charouzd - 16 goals

1958-1959 (7.40 goals per game)
1. Vladimír Zábrodský - 23 goals
2. Jaroslav Volf - 18 goals
3. Miloslav Charouzd - 17 goals
4. Bronislav Danda - 16 goals
4. Zdeněk Haber - 16 goals
4. Jaroslav Jiřík - 16 goals
4. Jiří Pokorný - 16 goals
8. Otakar Mareš - 15 goals
8. Václav Pantůček - 15 goals
8. František Schwach - 15 goals
8. Ján Starší - 15 goals

1959-1960 (7.66 goals per game)
1. Ján Starší - 26 goals
2. Miroslav Kluc - 24 goals
3. Jozef Golonka - 22 goals
4. Jindřich Lidický - 20 goals
4. Jaroslav Volf - 20 goals
6. Zdeněk Haber - 19 goals
7. Josef Vimmer - 17 goals
7. Vladimír Zábrodský - 17 goals

1960-1961 (7.91 goals per game)
1. Jozef Golonka - 35 goals
1. Václav Pantůček - 35 goals
3. Josef Vimmer - 30 goals
4. Ján Starší - 29 goals
5. Jiří Dolana - 27 goals
6. Zdeněk Haber - 26 goals
7. Vlastimil Bubník - 25 goals
7. Jiří Pokorný - 25 goals
9. Jaroslav Jiřík - 23 goals
10. Josef Bárta - 22 goals
10. Jan Klapáč - 22 goals

For closer look on modern scoring of the CSSR league, continue here.

Last edited:

DN28

Jan 2, 2014
Prague
Finally, "Robert Gordon Orr" made a post with top 3 CSR scorers from 1930-31 to 1939-40 (points, not just goals!). In early to mid-30s the League was not yet created but championships under different names and titles were held each year. Hopefully he wouldn´t mind to re-post it here in order to have every data at one place...

Last edited:

DN28

Jan 2, 2014
Prague
Domestic scoring leaders (until 1990)

Milan Nový - 6x
Vladimí Zábrodský - 6x

Miroslav Kluc - 4x

Vladimír Růžička - 3x in 80s (+ 2x play-off scoring titles) + 1 more title in 95-96

Václav Nedomanský - 3x (+ 1x play-off scoring title)

Josef Maleček - 2x (+ 5 more unofficial scoring titles)

Jaroslav Drobný - 2x
Jozef Golonka - 2x
Vladimír Kobranov - 2x

Mike Buckna - 1x (+ 1 more unofficial scoring title)

Josef Černý - 1x
Jiří Dolana - 1x
Jan Havel - 1x
Ivan Hlinka - 1x
Jaroslav Holík - 1x
Miroslav Ihnačák - 1x
Jan Klapáč - 1x
Jiří Kochta - 1x
Igor Liba - 1x
Vincent Lukáč - 1x
Vladimír Martinec - 1x
Václav Mařík - 1x
Václav Pantůček - 1x
Dušan Pašek - 1x
František Pergl - 1x
Čeněk Pícha - 1x
Milan Plocek - 1x
Robert Reichel - 1x
Miroslav Sláma - 1x
Ján Starší - 1x
Jan Suchý - 1x
Marián Šťastný - 1x

(Vladimír Jeřábek - 1x play-off scoring leader
Jiří Lála - 1x play-off scoring leader
Evžen Musil - 1x play-off scoring leader
Bohuslav Šťastný - 1x play-off scoring leader)

Last edited:

Sprague Cleghorn

User Registered
Aug 14, 2013
Edmonton, KY
Finally, "Robert Gordon Orr" made a post with top 3 CSR scorers from 1930-31 to 1939-40 (points, not just goals!). In early to mid-30s the League was not yet created but championships under different names and titles were held each year. Hopefully he wouldn´t mind to re-post it here in order to have every data at one place...

Event | 1st Place (GP-G-A-PTS) | 2nd Place (GP-G-A-PTS) | 3rd Place (GP-G-A-PTS)
1930/31| Josef Malecek (LTC) 2-4-7-11|
Jiri Tozicka (LTC) 2-5-2-7​
|Viteszlav Aibl (ČB) 2-5-2-7|
1931/32|Josef Malecek (LTC)5-57-12-69|
Jiri Tozicka (LTC) 5-17-14-31​
|Karel Hromádka (LTC) 5-14-15-29|
1932/33|Josef Malecek (LTC) 2-6-4-10 |
Oldrich Kucera (LTC) 3-6-2-8​
|Ruzicka (CSK) 4-5-2-7|
1933/34|Josef Malecek (LTC) 5-23-9-32|
Karel Hromádka (LTC) 5-14-6-20​
|Jiri Tozicka (LTC) 5-5-10-15|
1934/35|Edgar Gromoll (LTC) 6-16-14-30|
Josef Malecek (LTC) 5-17-10-27​
|Drahos Jirotka (Sparta) 7-13-10-23|
1935/36|Josef Malecek (LTC) 7-21-13-34|
Mike Buckna (LTC) 5-18-10-28​
|Oldrich Kucera (LTC) 7-12-14-26|
1936/37|Josef Malecek (LTC) 6-16-11-27|
Oldrich Kucera (LTC) 6-13-8-21​
|Mike Buckna (LTC) 5-8-12-20|
1937/38|Mike Buckna (LTC) 5-14-4-18|
Josef Malecek (LTC) 4-8-6-14​
|Drahos Jirotka (Sparta) 5-9-3-12|
1938/39|Mike Buckna (LTC) 7-20-4-24|
Drahos Jirotka (Sparta) 7-15-8-23​
|Josef Malecek (LTC) 6-15-6-21|
1939/40|Josef Malecek (LTC) 3-6-2-8|
Frantisek Pergl (LTC) 3-6-1-7​
|Oldrich Kucera (LTC) 3-4-2-6|

Why is 1931-32 much, much, much higher scoring than the other years?

DN28

Jan 2, 2014
Prague
Why is 1931-32 much, much, much higher scoring than the other years?

I honestly don´t know. I wasn´t the one who had made this research. But the difference in scoring isn´t looking so big when you consider that in previous and next season of that you mentioned, LTC Prague played only two or three games, while in that 31-32 season LTC played 5 games.

Technically they could have played only semifinal and final in one season, while in 32 they could have played three more games against some villages as quarterfinal...

Last edited:

DN28

Jan 2, 2014
Prague
Recently I got access to Czechoslovakian hockey yearbooks from late 70s to 1990 placed in the "National Library". I have really lot of new uncovered info to post here (mainly full or almost full Izvestia Golden Stick voting record between 1983-1989, save percentages for Czechoslovakian goalies in elite league, detailed voting for best players of the season awards from TIP magazin, All-star teams, player´s profiles etc.). I will be posting this gradually in the next few weeks.
Let´s start with Izvestia Golden Stick Trophy now..

For every season when voting took place, one ballot consisted of three names with 3 points for 1st place, 2 points for 2nd place and 1 point for 3rd place.

For the 88-89 and 87-88 seasons, rankings were determined by votes from the President and General Secretary of the IIHF as well as by votes from representatives of the respective national hockey federations from Europe. Names of the representatives (=voters) are not specified.

For the 86-87 season, ranking was determined by votes from eight WHC 87 national teams coaches.

For the 85-86 season, ranking was determined by votes of 361 journalists from 16 countries.

For the 84-85 season, ranking was determined by 355 ballots.

For the 83-84 season, ranking was determined by 387 ballots from 21 European countries. Up to 32 players appeared on at least one ballot.

For the 82-83 season, ranking was determined by 372 ballots.

For the 81-82 season, ranking was determined by 385 ballots.

For the 80-81 season, ranking was determined by 458 ballots.

For the 79-80 season, ranking was determined by 426 ballots.

Finally, for the 78-79 season, ranking was determined by 588 ballots overall.

1988-1989:
1. Vyacheslav Fetisov - 68 points
2. Dominik Hasek - 29
3. Sergei Makarov - 24
4. Igor Larionov - 11
5. Anders Eldebrink - 7
6. Vyacheslav Bykov - 5
7. Valeri Kamensky - 2
Sergei Mylnikov - 2
Borje Salming - 2
Vladimir Ruzicka - 2
11. Kari Jalonen - 1

1887-1988:
1. Vyacheslav Fetisov - 42 points
2. Vladimir Krutov - 23
3. Sergei Makarov - 21
4. Igor Larionov - 12
5. Alexei Kasatonov - 6
Gerd Truntschka - 6
Peter Lindmark - 6
14. Igor Liba - 1

1986-1987:
1. Vladimir Krutov - 13 points (3-1-2)
2. Dusan Pasek - 10 (0-5-0)
3. Dominik Hasek - 6 (2-0-0)
4. Sergei Makarov - 4 (1-0-1)
5. Evgeni Belosheikin - 3 (1-0-0)
Vyacheslav Fetisov - 3 (1-0-0)
7. Petr Rosol - 2 (0-1-0)
Udo Kiessling - 2 (0-1-0)
9. Tommy Albelin - 1 (0-0-1)
Anders Carlsson - 1 (0-0-1)
Anders Eldebrink - 1 (0-0-1)
Jaroslav Benak - 1 (0-0-1)
Jiri Hrdina - 1 (0-0-1)

1985-1986:
1. Sergei Makarov - 459 points (123-29-32)
2. Vladimir Krutov - 208
3. Peter Lindmark - 172
4. Vyacheslav Fetisov - 82
5. Igor Larionov - 33
6. Vladimir Ruzicka - 33
7. Jiri Hrdina - 28
8. Petr Rosol - 13

1984-1985:
1. Jiri Kralik - 344 points (102-17-4)
2. Sergei Makarov - 313 (89-23-0)
3. Vyacheslav Fetisov - 285 (62-47-5)
4. Jiri Lala - 249 (37-64-10)
5. Vladimir Krutov - 192 (23-51-21)
6. Alexei Kasatonov - 89 (16-18-5)
7. Vladimir Ruzicka - 82 (19-12-1)
8. Kent Nilsson - 52 (0-23-6)
9. Jiri Sejba - 49 (7-3-22)
10. Hannu Jarvenpaa - 23 (0-9-5)

1983-1984:
1. Vyacheslav Fetisov - 316 points (96-10-8)
2. Vladislav Tretiak - 182 (45-21-5)
3. Dominik Hasek - 163 (28-36-7)
4. Sergei Makarov - 124 (32-12-4)
5. Vladimir Krutov - 86 (23-2-13)
6. Jaromir Sindel - 81 (18-11-5)
7. Peter Gradin - 66 (19-4-1)
8. Alexander Kozhevnikov - 52 (8-11-6)
9. Erich Kuhnhackl - 51 (14-4-1)
10. Nikolai Drozdetsky - 38 (9-1-9)
11. Milan Chalupa - 36 (11-0-3)
12. Igor Liba - 34 (8-5-0)
13. Petri Skriko - 28 (0-13-2)
14. Thomas Rundqvist - 24 (6-3-0)
15. Raimo Summanen - 16 (0-7-2)

1982-1983:
1. Vladislav Tretiak - 346 points (82-43-14)
2. Vladimir Krutov - 214
3. Jiri Lala - 195
4. ?
5. Jiri Kralik - 109
6. ?
7. Frantisek Cernik - 76
8. ?
9. ?
10. ?
11. Dusan Pasek - 49

1981-1982:
1. Vladislav Tretiak - 224 points (61-11-19)

1980-1981:
1. Vladislav Tretiak - 462 points (119-51-3)

1979-1980:
1. Sergei Makarov - 562 points (137-62-27)

1978-1979:
1. Boris Michailov - 435 points (120-27-21)

Voting records are still not 100% complete and yearbooks from 1982 down do not include any information about this trophy at all. Fortunately though, these results are in full harmony with what has been posted on this forum about this trophy so far:
(http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threa...scussion-thread.1943169/page-4#post-106254807)

Last edited:

DN28

Jan 2, 2014
Prague
For the 86-87 season, ranking was determined by votes from eight WHC 87 national teams coaches.

Here´s how those coaches voted:

Tommy Sandlin (Sweden): Krutov-Pasek-Eldebrink
Viktor Tikhonov (USSR): Krutov-Pasek-Benak
Frantisek Pospisil (CSSR): Hasek-Krutov-Hrdina
Dave King (Canada): Makarov-Pasek-A.Carlsson
Rauno Korpi (Finland): Krutov-Pasek-Albelin
Xaver Unsinn (Germany): Hasek-Kiessling-Krutov
Dave Peterson (USA): Belosheikin-Pasek-Krutov
Simon Schenk (Switzerland): Fetisov-Rosol-Makarov

View attachment 96763

Last edited:

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Thanks for these. The winners going from 459 points (1986) to 13 points (1987) is quite something. They went from circa 190 voters to 8 voters?

DN28

Jan 2, 2014
Prague
Thanks for these. The winners going from 459 points (1986) to 13 points (1987) is quite something. They went from circa 190 voters to 8 voters?

It appears that between 1979-1986 only journalists voted, next year only coaches, and for the last two seasons it is unclear whether just officials voted or officials + coaches.

However, the number of ballots peaked the very first year of the trophy and then it was steadily declining. Perhaps the change in 1987 happened because of that?

Last edited:

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Izvestia Golden Stick Trophy

1978-1979:

Top 6:
1) Boris Mikhaylov 435 (120-27-21)
2) Valery Vasilyev 345 (48-66-69)
3) Valery Kharlamov 300 (84-21-6)
4) Sergey Makarov 279 (48-45-45)
5) Vladislav Tretyak 189 (24-42-33)
6) Vladimir Petrov 129 (15-27-30)

Voters: 578 (journalists accredited at the World Championship in Moscow, plus representatives of the European national hockey federations)

Source: Football-Hockey 18/1979 (May 6th)

1979-1980:

Top 10:
1) Sergey Makarov 550 (137-62-27)
2) Boris Mikhaylov 384
3) Valery Vasilyev 175
4) Mats Näslund 166
5) Jukka Porvari 163
6) Vladislav Tretyak 143
7) Vladimir Krutov 114
8) Peter Å ťastný 102
9) Pelle Lindbergh 81
10) Aleksandr Maltsev 77

Source: Football-Hockey 24/1980 (June 15th)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad