International Covid-19 Vaccine Passports

Egg

Sep 3, 2007
Slowly but surely, we are seeing a few countries starting to adopt this approach.

Government issued proof of a full vaccination, in exchange of bypassing testing or even quarantines.

How do you feel about this on a global scale, or passports being required to show such proof?

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
I'm OK with this as step to kick start international travel. I don't think it will need to be in the passport, most countries will have electronic means. Canada having the ArriveCAN app for example.

Where it could see some complication is countries will only allow it based on the vaccine approved in the respective country. For example if someone is arriving in Canada fully vaxed but has Sputnik V, I doubt that will exempt them. The exemption could be if it's one that's approved by the WHO i.e Astra-Zeneca for the US which hasn't approved it.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I'm in favor of it domestically, so obviously I'm ok with it internationally.

Unfortunately it will never happen domestically and thus many who are eligible and able will choose not to be vaccinated.

Egg

Sep 3, 2007
I think the issue which was brought up, is the standard of a domestic vaccine not being approved overseas.

Also, forging passport information in some places is child's play.

So do we do the quarantine into perpetuity? Or take a slight risk one the bulk of the population is vaccinated, and let businesses finally recover by opening the borders to the globe.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I think the issue which was brought up, is the standard of a domestic vaccine not being approved overseas.

Also, forging passport information in some places is child's play.

So do we do the quarantine into perpetuity? Or take a slight risk one the bulk of the population is vaccinated, and let businesses finally recover by opening the borders to the globe.

That's what will happen whether we have vaccine passports or not.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
I think letting fully vaccinated people travel is the way to start.

In Canada starting Monday fully vaccinated citizens or permanent residents can be exempt for the mandatory hotel stay as long as they have a proof of negative Covid test that's less than 72 hours old and the vaccination must be with one of the 4 approved (Phizfer, Moderna, AZ and J&J).

As more people get become fully vaxxed that exemption should expand to citizens of other countries. There will be lots of changes....pinning jello to a wall will be easier than keeping track of this.

Egg

Sep 3, 2007
I think letting fully vaccinated people travel is the way to start.

I would agree.

Some places are waiting for really low numbers to consider it.

Japan may be a cautionary tale of reopening too quick, as cases there are expected to skyrocket with the pending Olympics.

D1az

Oct 29, 2009
Finland
No, should only be based on tests before traveling, regardless of status. As vaccinated can still spread it and, as I also complained about in another thread, some arrogant fully vaccinated people might not care if they have a slight feeling of a flu, because they might fall back on the notion that they already are vaccinated and selfishly ignore any potential spread that might come from them anyways. Even other flu viruses than covid.
Even before this pandemic I think that I have experienced way too many people who are a bit ill and still show up at the office or go traveling, for business or vacation, with the end result that many other people get ill.

I think that they could be extended to other flu viruses and why not also restrict international travel for people with STDs and other dangerous diseases which wreck havoc on societies. Would not eliminate all problems but certainly slow the spread overall.

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
Your #1 problem will be which vaccines are approved across borders. Is the Chinese vaccine approved in US for example as an acceptable substitute. Don't believe this has been worked out yet. There are obvious financial considerations that I'm sure the medical profession will be 100% upfront about. i.e. ZERO chance on that.

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
Traveling will be a gong show for quite a long time. First it's so expensive then I have to wear a mask on board breathing carbon dioxide. Then we dont which vaccine is allowed or not allowed then get tested wait for you test hope you pass then stay in a hotel that maybe will accept if you have a certain vaccine then then then..... I'll sit this out watching you tube thank you very much.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
Vaccine passports and let me travel like normal please. Each country can accept whatever vaccines they want, it's on the traveler to confirm they have the right one before going (that'll take 60 seconds, less time than booking a hotel).

I'm headed to Belize in the fall. I would LOVE to not wear a mask on the plane/in the airport since I'm vaccinated. Let the people that don't want to do it suffer, I've done my part and am ready for life to return to normal.

Do this and watch how fast most of these 'anti-vaxxers' get vaccinated.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
That is a dumb agreement, look at the situation first.
It's absolutely no dumber than your comment about not needing to travel overseas.

I'm running a logistics project in Europe next month. I'm based in the United States. Sorry, but I have to be there.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
It's absolutely no dumber than your comment about not needing to travel overseas.

I'm running a logistics project in Europe next month. I'm based in the United States. Sorry, but I have to be there.

I should have been clear, if you are going for business, than follow the precautions.

But tourism can wait.

Reactions: schelstatic

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Vaccine passports and let me travel like normal please. Each country can accept whatever vaccines they want, it's on the traveler to confirm they have the right one before going (that'll take 60 seconds, less time than booking a hotel).

I'm headed to Belize in the fall. I would LOVE to not wear a mask on the plane/in the airport since I'm vaccinated. Let the people that don't want to do it suffer, I've done my part and am ready for life to return to normal.

Do this and watch how fast most of these 'anti-vaxxers' get vaccinated.
I agree we need vaccine passports. That makes total sense. For mask wearing I think we all have to keep masks on because we can’t tell the vaccinated from the unvaccinated.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I agree we need vaccine passports. That makes total sense. For mask wearing I think we all have to keep masks on because we can’t tell the vaccinated from the unvaccinated.
Depends where you are.

If you are in a high vaccination percentage location, there's no reason to wear the mask. Even the CDC agrees on that. They suggest wearing a mask indoors for only high risk regions - aka - low vaccination, high case and hospitalization count.

If you're in a high vaccination, low hospitalization location, you have no need for a mask when vaccinated.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
I'm pro the requirement of vaccines. In those settings we should be mask free. If you have to be vaccinated to get on a plane, then a mask is unnecesary. We have the answer, let's get back to normal. Those who don't want to participate in ending this pandemic can be barred from whatever we need to bar them from.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->