Equipment: Intermediate vs senior goalie gear

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
My buddy opted for 32+1 intermediate leg pads over 33+1 seniors and saved quite a bit in the process.

With the blocker, it'll probably depend on the manufacturer but it seems like you'd lose an inch in length/width. For Reebok, the seniors are 15x8 and the intermediates are 14x7 (120 square inches versus 98).

For gloves, I'd definitely have to try it on in person first. Senior gloves from brand to brand can feel a whole lot different. I haven't had that much variance with blockers. Pants/Chest will be another thing that'll be personal preference that'll vary from brand to brand. I have a medium Vaughn chest protector that I love and a medium Reebok that is way too bulky (I made the mistake of ordering it on clearance, then learned why it was probably on clearance).

Realistically, aside from the blocker I'd go try on everything else. Don't make the same mistakes I've made.

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
My buddy opted for 32+1 intermediate leg pads over 33+1 seniors and saved quite a bit in the process.

With the blocker, it'll probably depend on the manufacturer but it seems like you'd lose an inch in length/width. For Reebok, the seniors are 15x8 and the intermediates are 14x7 (120 square inches versus 98).

For gloves, I'd definitely have to try it on in person first. Senior gloves from brand to brand can feel a whole lot different. I haven't had that much variance with blockers. Pants/Chest will be another thing that'll be personal preference that'll vary from brand to brand. I have a medium Vaughn chest protector that I love and a medium Reebok that is way too bulky (I made the mistake of ordering it on clearance, then learned why it was probably on clearance).

Realistically, aside from the blocker I'd go try on everything else. Don't make the same mistakes I've made.

That's the thing. I recently got a really good deal on a new set of Vaughn velocity xlwi my pads are 32+2 and I had a senior set of reebok 7k 33+1 so there's not much difference in the size of the pads just a little narrower. But for the quality and the price I don't mind giving up a little width. It's only about1/2". The gloves are my biggest worry, because I had a set of koho senior glove that I bought about 12 years ago and they seemed a bit bigger. Not sure how much total coverage I'm giving up and if it is going to make much difference.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I'd try to get a good deal on a senior glove, unless you're aiming or a matching set. My favorite glove was a ~2005 era Reebok Premier I. Haven't been able to find an adequate replacement. I don't think I could go down to an intermediate sized glove.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
There's definitely a noticeable difference in size between int and sr blockers and catchers.

For pads, int tends to be about an inch narrower than sr from my experience (as I'm right in between that 32/33 spot for ones that fit me 'properly'... currently using 34+2 because got a good deal on a set, and I can make them work with kneepads for the occasions I slip out of the knee cradle going down)

goalie29

Oct 17, 2010
Canada
I just bought new gloves. There is quite a difference in hand size between different brands/models. Some ints felt like "little kid" gloves, some were almost as big as the seniors. I'm on the borderline, and some int gloves I couldn't fit my hand into.

There is a noticeable difference in the size of the boards and the length of the arm part in blockers between sr/int. And in the the arm part of the trappers. I actually preferred the feel of the intermediates - the seniors hit the arms of my c/a in a not good way. Felt much less mobile. I'm short, and have short arms, so what works for me won't work for a ganglier sort.

Same sort of thing with all the other gear. Int stuff is for the most part a little less bulky. I've owned both sr and int in pants, gloves, pads, and c/a's that all fit me. Right now I have an int c/a, senior pants, int pads, senior mask, and int gloves, because they were comfortable.

Short version - try a bunch on if you can.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad