Interesting Retrospective Red Line Report 2002

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
Wow was that guy ever in love with Hudler. Yikes. I suppose Huds still could light it up in the NHL like he has in the AHL, but most don't expect him to. He had him in the top 10 and he dropped all the way to the back end of the 2nd round. :eek:

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
Greensboro nc: What about this Yale kid Higgins? Is he too small to be an impact player? If not, who would you compare him to. Briere maybe?

Kyle Woodlief: I don't think Chris Higgins will ever score 30 goals in the NHL like Briere did this year. I don't think he's talented enough at his size to be an impact player. I would view him more as a third-line high energy player.

23 is pretty close.

Abyss

GO BRUINS
Jun 20, 2005
CT
pretty cool stuff. All that hype about Collins being a sleeper and he went in the 9th round :O

Douggy

Dec 22, 2002
London, Ontario
Visit site
He did a good job of calling picks 5-8.

I find it interesting how the four guys going in the top four was pretty much set in stone. I can't remember it being like that since.

Meat Wave

Apr 4, 2003
Canada
Wow, nice call by KW on quite a few guys!

However, he really missed out on Higgins. 23 goals in his rookie year. I assume we can expect at least one 30-goal season from Chris before it's all said and done. ;)

Nielson81

Feb 28, 2002
www.hockeysfutureradio.com
The four back in 2002 are like the top five this year.

By that I mean, you know those 4 players were going to go 1 through 4, but not sure in what order.

This year, Johnson, Kessel, Toews, Staal and Backstrom will most likely be the top 5, but the order could be anything!

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
Douggy said:
He did a good job of calling picks 5-8.
What do you mean? That these players were truly about the 5th to 8th best to come out of the draft (if so, fair enough, kudos to Kyle)?
Or, do you mean that these players actually went around 5th to 8th in the draft? If it's the latter then it is not a "good call", since (as has been stated many times on this board) the ratings agencies are not predictors (of who will draft who or where they are expected to go). They are ratings agencies.

TheFinalWord

Apr 25, 2005
Kyle Chipchura said:
Wow, nice call by KW on quite a few guys!

However, he really missed out on Higgins. 23 goals in his rookie year. I assume we can expect at least one 30-goal season from Chris before it's all said and done. ;)

To be somewhat fair, the NHL has changed quite drastically from 2002. Higgins will score 30 in all likelyhood, but it's a little easier to do so now, then it was in 2002's NHL.

chuckie

Feb 24, 2003
Visit site
good call, this report came out in the old nhl, not the new wide open nhl...

TheFinalWord said:
To be somewhat fair, the NHL has changed quite drastically from 2002. Higgins will score 30 in all likelyhood, but it's a little easier to do so now, then it was in 2002's NHL.

Jack Splat

Apr 8, 2006
Hershey, PA
I sure hope that Fernholm turns out to be the biggest steal, but he spent this past season in the ECHL, so he still has a long way to go.

Is there anybody on these boards who has gone back and done any review of RLR, CSB, THN, or any of the other services to see who is the best predictor of NHL success? There are a few around here who get a kick out of crunching numbers. I'd like to see the results, but I don't have the temperment (or the back issues) to do the grunt work.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Andrew Carnes, Pittsburgh PA: Where do you think forward Joffery Lupul will go, and will he be the nature goal scorer that everyone touts him as?

Kyle Woodlief: I think Lupul will go higher than we have him ranked. We have him at No. 11, which is where we feel he should go. A couple of teams in the top 10 have expressed interest in him. He's a good natural sniper, but his skating concerns me at the NHL level.

I'm glad to see him overcome the skating issues...now if he can just learn to create offense without a playmaker doing all the work.

An Ape called Yoko

May 15, 2003
Gothenborg
Visit site
Jack Splat said:
I sure hope that Fernholm turns out to be the biggest steal, but he spent this past season in the ECHL, so he still has a long way to go.
I still believe in Fernholm. He has had some major troubles with injuries...I think he´ll bounce back and show what he can do.

MePutPuckInNet

Jan 1, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
hmm...interesting stuff. I was looking for any similar Woodlief stuff regarding the 2003 draft class. Anyone have a link? Can't seem to find it on the USA Today page. Was there a similar chat done? Does anyone know?

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
George Bachul said:

Some of his comments about Kostitsyn just makes us think he still could turn this around and become the player he was expected to be. Maybe some people will now stop talking about the Habs making ''another mistake'' and see that Kosty, besides his illness'' was not only by Woodlief but by a lot of GM's and scouts highly recommanded but were afraid about his condition.....

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
MePutPuckInNet said:
hmm...interesting stuff. I was looking for any similar Woodlief stuff regarding the 2003 draft class. Anyone have a link? Can't seem to find it on the USA Today page. Was there a similar chat done? Does anyone know?

Ah, the 2003 draft. The Dave Brown saga............. :biglaugh:

mooseOAK*

sarcastro said:
Wow was that guy ever in love with Hudler. Yikes. I suppose Huds still could light it up in the NHL like he has in the AHL, but most don't expect him to. He had him in the top 10 and he dropped all the way to the back end of the 2nd round. :eek:
Funny that he projected that the Red Wings would take Stajan but he was picked just before by the Leafs and Detroit took Hudler with the next pick.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
MePutPuckInNet said:
...and not one single word about Brent Burns...imagine that :dunno: :sarcasm:
He isn't the only person that said :dunno: when the pick was made. And even now, I don't know if you can say he was the best pick at 20.....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->