Interesting Radulov fact...

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
With his goal tonight(which, if nothing changes, will be his third straight GWG, interesting in itself), Radulov now has 5 goals.

5 goals in 10 games...with the icetime he's getting(less than 10 minutes a game, generally playing on a line with Scott Nichol) is impressive, in itself.

However...he's now scored 5 goals...on his first 9 shots in the NHL. Pretty incredible stat....and understandably, Preds fans are wondering what he has to do to get Trotz to give him a shot here and there with guys like Kariya, Legwand, and Sullivan.

Food for thought.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
How's his defense? That's probably why Trotz isn't playing him on a top line. I don't remember seeing a Pred forward half-assing it on defense.

Well, take Martin Erat, for example. He started out with ZERO defense, and he's still not great...more likely to take a penalty in our end than make a great defensive play...but he's gotten to passable. If Rads can do that, I think he'll be set. Guys like Erat and Radulov are on the team for their offensive ability. As long as Radulov can get to Erat's position...that is...not really a liability, I think he'll be okay.

River Man

Jul 25, 2006
I've been watching the game tonight myself on Center Ice, and I find that he is very impressive. Nashville is so stacked with talent.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
I've been watching the game tonight myself on Center Ice, and I find that he is very impressive. Nashville is so stacked with talent.

David Poile should write a book on how to patiently build an expansion franchise, and then give it to Doug Maclean for Christmas.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Well, take Martin Erat, for example. He started out with ZERO defense, and he's still not great...more likely to take a penalty in our end than make a great defensive play...but he's gotten to passable. If Rads can do that, I think he'll be set. Guys like Erat and Radulov are on the team for their offensive ability. As long as Radulov can get to Erat's position...that is...not really a liability, I think he'll be okay.

Erat was who came to mind when I was thinking of a Pred forward not all that great at defense. How long did he play on a lower line before he picked his d game up to "passable" and moved up to a top line?

Is Radulov getting any PP time right now? I'm he didn't play during our little three game set, he would have smoked us.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
Erat was who came to mind when I was thinking of a Pred forward not all that great at defense. How long did he play on a lower line before he picked his d game up to "passable" and moved up to a top line?

Is Radulov getting any PP time right now? I'm he didn't play during our little three game set, he would have smoked us.

To be quite honest with you, we sent him to the minors for a year. It woke him up.

Helmethead

Jun 2, 2002
Port Cockerton
Visit site
I think trotz is doing a great job with radulov.make him hungry, make him earn everything so he won't take anything for granted.there is a huge diffrence to how your treated in the ahl compared to the nhl.ahl everything is coach. in the nhl everything is first class.let him taste first class and then remind him what coach is like again.then he will play his heart out,and with a player of his calibur he will put up huge numbers while being defensivly responsible.give him some time and radulov will be unstoppable just like he was in juniors.IMO he's a potential 100 pt player.

Rob Stauber*

It's not a big deal for now if he's not great defensively, they will whip him into shape for that. But offensively, I don't see why this guy can't be a regular 40 goal guy. Great talent.

Cyclops II*

David Poile should write a book on how to patiently build an expansion franchise, and then give it to Doug Maclean for Christmas.

Except that he has built 2 franchises so far and hasn't won the Cup. He can build a franchise but he han't yet shown he is able to add the final pieces of the puzzle.
D Wilson is in the same boat. He now has a contender but has to be able to add the last couple of pieces.
Of course they could realize what they need and find that the type of player they are looking for is not available for trade.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

Of all the defensemen they have coming through...I just want one of them....

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
Except that he has built 2 franchises so far and hasn't won the Cup. He can build a franchise but he han't yet shown he is able to add the final pieces of the puzzle.
D Wilson is in the same boat. He now has a contender but has to be able to add the last couple of pieces.
Of course they could realize what they need and find that the type of player they are looking for is not available for trade.

I'm sure the fans in PHX, FLA, CMB, etc. would take NSH's level of success in a second. But perhaps you can't see that with the budding dynasty in SJ. ; )

The fact is Poile is one of the better GMs in the league when it comes to acquiring players and drafting.

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
The fact is Poile is one of the better GMs in the league when it comes to acquiring players and drafting.

He's done well in Nashville. In Washington his drafting was spotty to bad. The Caps had 5 extra #1 picks in the 90s (from the Scott Stevens fiasco - oh my broken heart still mourns) and they would have done better throwing darts. Do the names Nolan Baumgartner, Mikka Elomo, Brad Church, Alex Kharlamov, Alexander Volchkov, Yogi Svejkovski ring any bells? And earlier there was Reggie Savage, Trevor Halverson, Ivan (?) Corriveau. That is pure bad drafting.

But I like Poile. He orchestrated some big trades in his time and I honestly believe he saved the Washington Capitals from moving in the early 80s. We had some awesome hockeys teams (minus the goalie).

Cyclops II*

I'm sure the fans in PHX, FLA, CMB, etc. would take NSH's level of success in a second. But perhaps you can't see that with the budding dynasty in SJ. ; )

Agreed. Poile has built 2 franchises into contenders. I was referring to taking a team to the the Stanley Cup. If there are any obvious deficiencies in the team and he corrects them by the trade deadline then he has done all he can and is deserving of credit for creating a contender.

The 2 teams that have the best chance to be a dynasty are San Jose and Buffalo because none of their key players are old. Nashville would be slightly behind because a few of their key players are well over 30.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
The 2 teams that have the best chance to be a dynasty are San Jose and Buffalo because none of their key players are old. Nashville would be slightly behind because a few of their key players are well over 30.

Pittsburgh, Carolina and Anaheim should be in the conversation as well.

veronesepk

Feb 11, 2005
Agreed. Poile has built 2 franchises into contenders. I was referring to taking a team to the the Stanley Cup. If there are any obvious deficiencies in the team and he corrects them by the trade deadline then he has done all he can and is deserving of credit for creating a contender.

Well over 30?

Paul Kariya just turned 32
Chris Mason is 30
Tomas Vokoun is 30
Scott Nichol is 32
Steve Sullivan is 32
Kimmo Timmonen is 31
Jason Arnott is 32

That's 7 guys on the roster over 30, with none more than 32 years of age. Kariya will possibly not be retained next year, but even if that happens, we have a ton of talented young forwards (Hartnell/Erat/Radulov/Upshal) to fill in the ranks. I think we're doing pretty well :).

vcx*

With his goal tonight(which, if nothing changes, will be his third straight GWG, interesting in itself), Radulov now has 5 goals.

5 goals in 10 games...with the icetime he's getting(less than 10 minutes a game, generally playing on a line with Scott Nichol) is impressive, in itself.

However...he's now scored 5 goals...on his first 9 shots in the NHL. Pretty incredible stat....and understandably, Preds fans are wondering what he has to do to get Trotz to give him a shot here and there with guys like Kariya, Legwand, and Sullivan.

Food for thought.

Weren't Chubarov's first 6 goals in the NHL GWG's?

vcx*

No not really. San Jose & Buffalo have guys on their roster that will be lost because of the salary struggle when Marleu and Thornton demand the big bucks and Toskala isn't going to be a bargain any longer.

They do have Bernier, Michalek and a good group of solid young defenseman, Buffalo is in the same boat.

Pittsburgh has the best future though, dynasty wise. Malkin, Crosby, Staal, Whitney, Welch, Letang, Fleury...The wealth of talent is there and as they all grow together, they just get that much better. Buffalo knows how that is.

Cyclops II*

No not really. San Jose & Buffalo have guys on their roster that will be lost because of the salary struggle when Marleu and Thornton demand the big bucks and Toskala isn't going to be a bargain any longer.

They do have Bernier, Michalek and a good group of solid young defenseman, Buffalo is in the same boat.

Pittsburgh has the best future though, dynasty wise. Malkin, Crosby, Staal, Whitney, Welch, Letang, Fleury...The wealth of talent is there and as they all grow together, they just get that much better. Buffalo knows how that is.

It is not a given that the Sharks or Sabres will lose any key players to cap probelms. it all depends on the skill of their GM's. Both have been pretty adept so far. And compared to Bobby Clarke they are genius level.:D

Agree with the Pittsburgh comments except that they are probably a couple of years away and the others are ready now.

Cyclops II*

Well over 30?

Paul Kariya just turned 32
Chris Mason is 30
Tomas Vokoun is 30
Scott Nichol is 32
Steve Sullivan is 32
Kimmo Timmonen is 31
Jason Arnott is 32

That's 7 guys on the roster over 30, with none more than 32 years of age. Kariya will possibly not be retained next year, but even if that happens, we have a ton of talented young forwards (Hartnell/Erat/Radulov/Upshal) to fill in the ranks. I think we're doing pretty well :).

I was referring to 32+ because I am considering a dynasty to be 3 years+ and by 36-37 years old most players have faded. With Kariya, Arnott and Sullivan in that group it is not a given that they will be adequately replaced. The Sharks, for example, won't need to replace anyone although they will have to find a way to retain the players they have.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad