Interesting Info: Part XXI (Jackets-related "tidbits" here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
As I recall it, Ottawa wanted at least one of Tex, Bem or Foudy. But they preferred Bemstrum. Jarmo said he was not willing to let go of any of them. I think, but am not sure, that’s Portzy was the source of the quote.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
The statement was made after the season within the context of why he did not worry about Duchene & Bread leaving because Jarmo was proud he hung on to all 3 of his charms.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I remember Jarmo being put off by the price for Stone and I wouldn't be surprised if one of his pet prospects was the dealbreaker. Nothing new there and we still don't have a sense of what the full ask was. None of our guys had value close to Brannstrom at that point so the ask probably just included them as adds.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I also recall them saying they had no interest in trading Texier Bemstrom or Elvis. I don’t recall Foudy but maybe him too. But I think we passed on Stone because we wanted Duchene more and getting both wasn’t possible, which is why we settled on Dzingel

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
I also recall them saying they had no interest in trading Texier Bemstrom or Elvis. I don’t recall Foudy but maybe him too. But I think we passed on Stone because we wanted Duchene more and getting both wasn’t possible, which is why we settled on Dzingel
I heard that he was after all 3 so I don't think he settled for Dzingel. Just more like he was only able to get 2 out of 3. Also, would it have been a rental like Duchene and Dzingel or would Jarmo have wanted an extension like how Vegas did? I wonder if no contract or with contract, the prospect price would have been high regardless.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

The jackets are pretty much upper middle pack of analytic departments now

In terms of bodies, yes. We need more intel than that.

Weissbock and Lawrence were writers for Canucks Army and came up with this PCS thing. They were hired by the Florida Panthers when Viola went all-in on the numbers. Here's a glowing review by one of their former Canucks Army colleagues who was recently lobbying to bring them home from Florida.

It is interesting that these two have been at the center of flashpoints about analytics. Gerard Gallant was not a fan of some of the moves they pushed for and it became a story. But perhaps they were right. I don't have time to delve further into it now.

Reactions: LJ7201

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Players literally are considered more valuable in their model if they are taller….

No??

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Not sure if it's out there in news anywhere but one of things Nash is heading up is a locker room renovation.
Guess the Jackets learned a lot with some of additions (last year) on how dated the players locker room and training facility is. Example was one of the additions (Domi/Roslovic) pointed out that most facilities have hot and cold tubs, water treadmills, etc.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Not sure if it's out there in news anywhere but one of things Nash is heading up is a locker room renovation.
Guess the Jackets learned a lot with some of additions (last year) on how dated the players locker room and training facility is. Example was one of the additions (Domi/Roslovic) pointed out that most facilities have hot and cold tubs, water treadmills, etc.
Perhaps they should tour the new Crew training facility. That place looks top notch from the videos I've seen.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite

CBJ should take a field trip to the new Crew Performance Center for ideas. Also, it's unbelievable that these things have been let go/not addressed.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
CBJ should take a field trip to the new Crew Performance Center for ideas. Also, it's unbelievable that these things have been let go/not addressed.

And on JD's watch, no less! When we all know that he's the real brains behind the operation and needs to hold Jarmo's hand because Jarmo is a dolt and JD is a keen hockey mind.

SnygGo

Jul 6, 2006
Sundsvall, Sweden
I hope this is the place for it, been away from the forum for quite some time.

I read an interesting interview with Kevin Stenlund (in swedish) that I quickly translated and thought I'd share with you.
"Då hade det varit lätt att bara skita i det och flytta hem igen" - Hockeysverige – Mer av sporten du älskar

"I had a tough time at first (coming over to the NHL), but I had a lot of help from Gabriel Carlsson who arrived at about the same time as me. We've supported eachother along the way."

The past season was a step in the right direction for you, but unfortunantly you can't say the same about the team:
"We started out well, but then the whole team fell a couple of levels and it became a shit show of a season. We couldn't get the group working together as well as the previous seasons. We had some new players and some players that wanted to leave the team, it was a bummer.

In the beginning of the past season Dubois requested a trade and later on defensive star Seth Jones would do the same:
"We had a internal discussion within the group when Dubois was traded, but I don't think his departure affected us in the beginning. But when the season went downwards it was tough to get through it. When it comes to Jones I totally understand his decision. He's been in Columbus for a long time and wanted to try something new. I get that, that's how i works.

How were you personally affected by all this?:
"I don't know if I were affected personally that much, but we couldn't get our shit together and the whole thing was a mess. One game you could be centering the top line and the next game you would be playing on the fourh line. It got very choppy. We tried everything to get the team going but nothing really worked out."

Based on the fact that so many players have wanted to leave Columbus in the past you could draw up the picture that it's a dull city:
"I don't get it to be honest. If you come to Columbus as a member of an away team then maybe you don't know the hotspots. I think that's the problem, that people don't really know the city. If you talk to kids back in Sweden and you tell them that you're playing in Columbus, they'll ask you what league they're in (laugh). The city hasn't received the cred it should have gotten. I really enjoy my time there. I don't need New York or Los Angeles, where you get a lot of dead time in traffic each day when you're on the way to the rink. I like it better this way, no lines, tranquil and nice with at lot of great restaurants. You don't get the kind of pressure from media/public as you get in Toronto, here you can stroll downtown without getting recognized."

How has it been for you to play for John Tortorella?:
"I have no problems with Torts. He was always honest with me and I like leaders like that. But as things went this year..he really tried to get the team going and as I said the whole thing was just a mess. Our powerplay had only rightys for a while and players got to play all over the lineup. It was tough, no one really knew what role they had and I think that contributed to the poor results."

Do you feel that it was the right time for Tortorella to depart?:
"Yes, I believe so. He had been in Columbus for 8 years and has done a fantastic job. But I felt at the end that we needed to go in a new direction. I'm excited for the new season, a fresh start. We get two new assistant coaches with two new voices in the locker room and I think that's important. And it's nice to have the familiar voice in "Lars", I know what he expects from me. He's a coach that always tries to have a dialog with us players and I really appreciate that. He expects hard work from everyone, if you give him that then you'll be on good terms with him"

You've progressively started to establish yourself in the team, can you feel that as well?:
"Yea, it's gotten better every year. I've been feeling more comfortable within the team for every year that is passing and now I feel like a part of the group. I still need to be more consistent and try to keep my game together for a large span of games without any dips. But I can say that I'm a NHL-player now, just not in the way that I want yet. I want to be that reliable second line center that you can count on night in and night out. That's the goal to take another step next year."

What do you need to be able to do that?:
"Power play is a big part of my game, and I'd like to become better in that area. I'd like to get closer to Kucherovs level, that feeling that you're always a threat to the opposing team. That's the level I want to reach, to know that everytime you get the puck, you can score. I want that feeling, and I want my opponents to feel it too."

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
In terms of bodies, yes. We need more intel than that.

Weissbock and Lawrence were writers for Canucks Army and came up with this PCS thing. They were hired by the Florida Panthers when Viola went all-in on the numbers. Here's a glowing review by one of their former Canucks Army colleagues who was recently lobbying to bring them home from Florida.

It is interesting that these two have been at the center of flashpoints about analytics. Gerard Gallant was not a fan of some of the moves they pushed for and it became a story. But perhaps they were right. I don't have time to delve further into it now.

On the PDO-cast Alison and Dmitri mentioned "the computer boys" (Cam Weissbock and Josh Lawrence) as at the center of the action with CBJ's recent moves. I think she mentioned Boqvist and Bean, maybe Sillinger? I couldn't tell if they actually knew firsthand what those guys were doing specifically, or if they just expected them to be doing those things because they like them a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->