Interesting Info: Part XXI (Jackets-related "tidbits" here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Worth pointing out on the CBJ tidbits instead of the non CBJ thread since he will always be a lot of people's favorite jackets player. He's right up there with David Vyborny for me personally.

AndBoomGoesTheCannon

Feb 21, 2019
Cleveland, OH
I can't believe Colorado cleared Matty Ice to play and thought a pink tinted visor would save him from further concussion effects.
The tinted visor doesn’t prevent further effects. It treats/minimizes specific symptoms like glare/eye strain/headaches.

It’s troubling that they cleared someone with clear long term symptoms of concussions to return to play.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
The tinted visor doesn’t prevent further effects. It treats/minimizes specific symptoms like glare/eye strain/headaches.

It’s troubling that they cleared someone with clear long term symptoms of concussions to return to play.

That's where I was going with it. If he's having symptoms to the point that he needed a special visor to minimize symptoms of eye strain / headaches...maybe don't put him out there where he could risk *another* concussion?

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Where Are They Now: Mike Commodore

"One of the questions I get is, 'Where was your favorite place to play?'" Commodore said. "Don't get me wrong, none of the places were awful, but as far as my favorite place that I played when you bring it all in with the fans and that rink and the guys and the city, it's Columbus, Ohio, for me."
One of the highlights of his career was the first of his three seasons with the Blue Jackets in 2008-09, as Commodore had what he called the best season of his career. Keying the CBJ blue line while playing with Jan Hejda much of the year, Commodore played in 81 games and had a 5-19-24 line, plus-11 rating and 100 penalty minutes.
The cherry on top? Columbus made its first-ever Stanley Cup Playoffs appearance, finishing 27-15-6 over the last 48 games and clinching its bid with a shootout win in Chicago with three games left in the campaign.
"People were like, 'Whoa, wait a minute, these guys might actually be good,' " Commodore said. "All of a sudden the rink is full, and that rink is unbelievable. Fans in Columbus are awesome. And all of a sudden things started steamrolling. I'll never forget. As far as top-five moments in my career … (one of them) was making the playoffs with the Blue Jackets. I still remember we took a game to overtime in Chicago. I remember being on the ice when the horn went to end that third period, and I was pumped."

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I just noticed that the Jackets' 20 5v5 goals in 11 games is actually a bit above league average g/gp right now. That was a little bit surprising.

The league average two years ago was 2 5v5 goals per game, so I'm guessing the leaguewide deluge of penalties has cut down on 5v5 time.

It is also encouraging that the Jackets are not that far off at 5v5 despite the rocky start. If they can get the PP going with Laine then things are suddenly looking pretty good.

Reactions: Monk

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Here's an interesting tidbit - The Blue Jackets have had *22* more power play opportunities than penalty kills. That's 2 per game!
Hockey Reference has it 29 PP opportunities for and 25 PK's. They are second lowest in PPO's among the teams that have played 10 or more games.

I3LI3

Jan 9, 2021
Columbus, OH
I just noticed that the Jackets' 20 5v5 goals in 11 games is actually a bit above league average g/gp right now. That was a little bit surprising.

The league average two years ago was 2 5v5 goals per game, so I'm guessing the leaguewide deluge of penalties has cut down on 5v5 time.

It is also encouraging that the Jackets are not that far off at 5v5 despite the rocky start. If they can get the PP going with Laine then things are suddenly looking pretty good.

lowkey love your posts and your usage of advanced stats, my friend.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
lowkey love your posts and your usage of advanced stats, my friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad