Interesting Info: Part XX (Jackets-related "tidbits" here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Jones Zone

Nov 27, 2013
Raleigh, NC
The expansion draft going later than expected is a huge plus for the CBJ. Once again, we will have more exposed talent than other clubs.

Regardless of when it is, Jarmo should forget making a deal this time.

Protect your best players and take a bullet for one you don't want to lose

If Dubinski does not agree to waive, then He automatically gets bought out.....
if they don't already do it after this year

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Regardless of when it is, Jarmo should forget making a deal this time.

Protect your best players and take a bullet for one you don't want to lose

If Dubinski does not agree to waive, then He automatically gets bought out.....
if they don't already do it after this year

If Seattle doesn't start until 2021-22, the Dubinsky is a moot point. His contract expires after the 2020-21 season.

Unless he signs an extension:naughty:

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Tom Reed just put an article on The Athletic which is probably the best article I've seen from the Jackets staffers to date:
'It's a no-hit league': The story behind the slow death of...

It is all about the 'no hit league' mentality. It has some great interviews with guys like Tortorella, Jody Shelly, Dubinsky, Kronwall, Ray Ferraro, etc. It also does a great job of laying out both the good and bad of the changing attitude towards big hits.

For those who don't have a subscription, here is the sample they sent out as part of the mass email:
‘It’s a no-hit league’: The story behind the slow death of the NHL’s ‘suicide’ pass.

COLUMBUS, Ohio — Maple Leafs defenseman Jake Gardiner made a Nov. 19 neutral-zone pass that, if attempted a few seasons earlier, might have produced a Tyler Ennis chalk outline. Instead, it supplied a snapshot of the modern NHL game.

The play occurred in the second period of a contest against the Blue Jackets at Scotiabank Arena in Toronto. Gardiner’s 25-foot pass was slightly behind Ennis at the attacking blue line, forcing the diminutive forward to reach back with his stick for the puck.

Ennis seemed to have no clue Blue Jackets defenseman Markus Nutivaara was in the vicinity and had the Toronto winger at his mercy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cyclones Rock

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
So who do Jackets protect for a 2021 start?

Cam, PLD, Anderson & ..... Wennberg? Jenner? Some prospect who hits the big time - Davidsson, Foudy, ???

Jones, Werenski, Murray, Nutivara... depends on how Gavrikov pans out, Savard?

Goalie? Our best.

Definitely seems like an 8 skater protected list.

Edit: Oops I guess my pessimism is showing through, Bread for sure if he is here.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
What are the specifics of the rules regarding first- and second-year professionals not being eligible?
There are no specifics. Once you're in your third year you're eligible.
  • First and second-year professional players and unsigned draft picks are not eligible for the expansion draft and won't need to be protected.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
So who do Jackets protect for a 2021 start?

Cam, PLD, Anderson & ..... Wennberg? Jenner? Some prospect who hits the big time - Davidsson, Foudy, ???

Jones, Werenski, Murray, Nutivara... depends on how Gavrikov pans out, Savard?

Goalie? Our best.

Definitely seems like an 8 skater protected list.

Edit: Oops I guess my pessimism is showing through, Bread for sure if he is here.

Guys with less than three years as a pro are exempt, so Foudy and anyone coming next year don't need protection. But everyone on this year's NHL and AHL roster will have their 3 years by 2021, including Abramov, Stenlund, etc... I'm not sure about Davidsson and Gavrikov, but IIRC the league decided, oddly, that European leagues didn't count as "pro" for these purposes, so that those guys would be exempt.

More conveniently, the only NMC in 2021 is Cam's, and we will want to protect him anyways.

My best guess for the protected spots at this point (far too early):

F's: Dubois, Atkinson, Anderson, + one new high end forward acquisition.

D: Jones, Werenski, Nutivaara, Murray.

A forward like Jenner or Bjorkstrand would get picked in this scenario, or if there's a promising guy like Stenlund, then maybe him.

Alternatively, if Gavrikov is in the fold, the Jackets could go 7F 3D and let Murray go instead.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
What are the specifics of the rules regarding first- and second-year professionals not being eligible?

The draft is technically held towards the end of a season but before it completely ends, so that season doesn't count as "completed"; if a player plays in 2019-2020 and then in 2020-2021, then he has only completed one year as a pro and is ineligible to be drafted. So the rule is really more like "players with less than three seasons as a pro are ineligible".

The other technicality is that NHL and AHL count as pro, so Stenlund etc... are eligible to be drafted. But I'm not sure about KHL, SHL, etc... I think they didn't count as pro last time around.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Too early to speculate on who stays and goes when more than 1/2 the teams contracts will expire between now and then. Then have 3 forwards and 2 defensemen under contract at the start of the 2021 season right now.

I say it's too early to speculate because we have little idea how the players will play, and their relative value in three years. I'd guess that Dubois will be worth more than Murray, but what about Murray vs Anderson? Will Stenlund be a 2C or a 4C? Hard tellin'.

The expiring contracts you mentioned are mostly RFAs who will stay under team control, so I think it's a safe assumption to factor them into your planning.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
So 21-22 officially now. Savard, Fligs and Dubisnky off the books.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
Well, we can count Gavrikov out for playing any games this year, otherwise he'll need protected. And he might anyways.

Either way, we're going to lose a high caliber player.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I don't recall correctly, but are people on ELC's excluded from the draft? I remember we had to protect Wennberg, but his ELC had just expired IIRC.

If so, we may want to hold off on bringing Gavrikov and Elvis over this year.

While I think the "who to protect" stuff is too far out, I do think this is the kind of decision/speculation that can be made now.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I don't recall correctly, but are people on ELC's excluded from the draft? I remember we had to protect Wennberg, but his ELC had just expired IIRC.

If so, we may want to hold off on bringing Gavrikov and Elvis over this year.

Read my post above. It has nothing to do with ELCs.

Reactions: Viqsi

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Only three years after he was drafted in the second round (No. 38 overall) in 2015, his name was rarely mentioned as a prospect, even within the Blue Jackets organization.
Neither Bittner nor the Blue Jackets will say exactly what Bittner has battled off the ice, but it appears his career is back on track.
The 6-foot-4, 210-pound forward has 4-11-15 and a plus-11 rating in 20 games.
He’s skating on the Monsters’ top forward line with center Zac Dalpe and right winger Eric Robinson.
“I still have a lot more to give,” Bittner said. “I feel like this is just the tip of the iceberg for me.
“I’m still working with the coaching staff on coming to the rink the next night, coming to the rink the next day, being prepared. It’s been an eye-opener, like, ‘Yeah, this is me!’ It’s really nice to see for myself.”

Evidently Bittner is back on the radar as a prospect. I don't have any opinion on him at all, but it's nice to read that a 2nd round pick (#38 overall in 2015) might still be able to contribute at the NHL level at some point. He just turned 22.

Paul Bittner hockey statistics and profile at hockeydb.com

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
The draft is technically held towards the end of a season but before it completely ends, so that season doesn't count as "completed"; if a player plays in 2019-2020 and then in 2020-2021, then he has only completed one year as a pro and is ineligible to be drafted. So the rule is really more like "players with less than three seasons as a pro are ineligible".

The other technicality is that NHL and AHL count as pro, so Stenlund etc... are eligible to be drafted. But I'm not sure about KHL, SHL, etc... I think they didn't count as pro last time around.
SHL did. KHL didn't. It has to do with which pro leagues the NHL has agreements with; they're mentioned in the CBA for other compensation-related rules.

Reactions: major major

major major

Feb 18, 2013
SHL did. KHL didn't. It has to do with which pro leagues the NHL has agreements with; they're mentioned in the CBA for other compensation-related rules.

So the clock is already ticking for Elvis then, I take it. We don't have to worry about expansion when we bring him over, he's eligible either way. I tried looking up the Swiss national league schedule, the regular season ends around March 4th, but then even bad teams like Lugano have to play a relegation tournament, which I couldn't find the dates for.

Gavrikov's SKA will be more likely to play in the playoffs into the late Spring, so we can't get him over this year, and given the expansion ramifications we wouldn't bring him over anyways. It's really a potential boon that he isn't eligible for the expansion draft, because it makes it much easier for the Jackets to protect 7F 3D and still retain an awesome top 4 D-corps.

Last edited:

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
Would a late-season ATO in Cleveland burn a "professional" season for expansion draft purposes or does it not count because they aren't paid?

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
Also, does it matter if they get meal money, travel on the team bus, or get a team-provided hotel room on the road (i.e. remuneration) while on the ATO?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad